Maternal & Child Community
Sweeping membranes at 38 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sweeping membranes at 38 weeks

Yesterday at my appt, my dr swept my membranes.  Besides being pretty painful, I haven't noticed it making any difference.  She said if it was going to work it would happen within 48 hours.  I haven't noticed any change in the amount of contractions I have or anything, just kind of wondering what the point of this procedure is and why she did it at only 38 weeks.  Anyone else have any experience with this?
My doctor stipped my membranes as well.  Its supposed to naturally start labor, but doesnt always go that way.  In my situation, he stripped (or sweeped) the membranes and it didnt throw me into labor either.  It was pretty uncomfortable for me, but at that point in my pregnancy, I was willing to try anything to get the process going.  I ended up having to be induced.  

If it doesnt bring on labor within 48 hours, it probably wont.  
I had mine swept 3 times with my son, the last being on my due date which was a thursday I was already 3 cm 100% effaced, and went into labor Friday afternoon, pretty sure I would have gone even without the last sweep
Hi. I sometimes hear about a dr. stripping someone's membranes but, I'm not exactly sure what that means.  Does anyone care to explain?  I'm 27 weeks so who knows if I may need it one day.
I had mine stripped and went into HARD labor within a few hours. BUT I was 10 days overdue. That might have had something to do with it.
I had my membranes stripped at 38w--I don't remember it being painful--anyhow that was on a Friday, my water broke Sat night and my DS was born Sun morning.
Stripping of membranes is a bit difficult to explain.  

Picture I guess a water balloon sitting on a glass... that would be like the baby at the beginning of the birth canal.  With the weight of the water and teh baby, it sits on there pretty securely/tightly.

When a doctor stips your membranes, he takes his finger and runs it around the "rim of the glass" to separate the "water balloon" from the rim.  Kind of like breaking teh seal I guess.  

in some women, that will make the "balloon" weak enough where the membrane can rupture and start labor.  In other women, the "balloon" can just settle back down to where it is.. hence, the reason they say "if labor doesnt start in 24-48 hours, chances are it wont".  

I hope that kind of made sense.
Ahhh that sounds horrible, no wonder it hurt so bad.  It felt like the dr was trying to get her hand up to my teeth.  Still no labor, though.
wow great explaination:)