Maternal & Child Community
TETRALOGY OF FALLOT AND PREGNANCY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

TETRALOGY OF FALLOT AND PREGNANCY

I had operation of tetralogy of fallot 23 years ago.all these years I feel fine,I have no problems with my heart.I was pregnant in february,for 6weeks.i felt fine then,too.but one cardiologyst told me that i can't have baby and i had an abortus.now i am 24years old and i need help.I want to know can i be pregnant with tetralogy of fallot and how?I heard that maybe i could stay in hospital all 9months and have baby like that?is there any way for me to have baby once?THANK YOU VERY MUCH.this is really hard for me,really,because i lost my baby then.
So sorry you've been through all that and that you had to end your pregnancy. I don't know much about it but check out this link
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11071

It says many women do go on to have successful pregnancies, but there can be serious complications. Did the cardiologist who told you to get an abortion do a full check on you? Because I would think he/she would have told you why, in your case, you shouldn't be pregnant. If not, maybe you could see a different cardiologist (one not so pessimistic) who would check you out and see how your heart is doing. It may be you have something going on you don't know about. Don't give up your dream to have children, because there are other ways even if they aren't your first choice (surrogate, adoption)

Oh, and there is a "heart forum" on this site, maybe the doctor there could give you more info. Take care of yourself, and I wish you the best.
even though you are a girl, my dh has the same condition. He is now 35 yrs of age. He also has pulmonary stenosis of the right ventricul too. He has had 4 open heart surgeries. He was one of the first babies in this country to survive this and have the ground breaking ( at that time surgery) to save his life. He was given a 1% of survival. well anyway, he has a full and productive life, he has a very grueling job as well. lifting sometimes as much as 1,500lbs a day and working in the heat. What I an trying to say is get a second opinion!! You know your body and what it can handle go to a better heart specialist. My husband was recently operated on at Childern's National Medical center in Washington d.c. they have an excellent adult program for people just like you! They have a world renowed staff.  When we were there people from the middle east and abroad were coming there. The adult program has support groups ect. My husband is one of the longest surving people with this condition. The name of one of the many drs he saw was DR. Roger ruckman. Please don't let someone with a limited knowledge of your condition tell you no when there can be away. MY dh regular cardio sent him there because he knew he was not an expert in this conditon. If you want to e-mail us gmnvkopnisky@ verizon.net MY name is Nicole I'd be happy to provide you with any information I have on this special group that could help you.
U can have a baby. I have the same heart problem and in april of 2008 i gave birth vaginaly to a 8lb little boy. I dont know why the dr said u cant have kids.
i have tetralogy of fallot and im pregnant 7months to be exact my doctor said i was fine but i im still high risk but yes you can have a babby boo please dont stress that doctor is lying to you