Maternal & Child Community
TGIF..Regarding Thryroid and IVF/FET

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

TGIF..Regarding Thryroid and IVF/FET

Hi Ladies...

Well was just inform that I have thyroid type T4, what ever that means.  My question is this.. The doctor that told me this said that if I was going to do IVF that I should talk to the specialist (thyroid) and let him know because the medication that they might give me for my thyroid that it can mess up the process of me doing IVF.  I don't understand why.  All I know that having a thyroid problem that what that means is that it can keep my hormones unbalance.  I know that when my second frozen embryo transfer failed that I told the ivf doctor that one of the 20 doctors I saw said that my thyroids felt swallen and he actually sent me to the lab and had a blood test done but they never told me if I did have it or not and than I got pregnant, lost my babies, did last FET and had a bio-chemical pregnancy.. I am wondering if the last pregnancy I had if I might have lost it because of my thyroid issue.  I dont know, I might sound lost, but I am in a way.. If anyone can help me out in this I will really appreciate it.
i don't know anything about thyroid or IVF i just wanted to say i'm so sorry for your losses and your heartache. i hope everything works out okay for you in the future and you carry a healthy pregnancy very soon.
Thank you so much.. I still haven't given up on been a mom.  But definitely the older I am getting the more things are wrong with me.  I hope nothing ruins the plan of me been a mommie.  I swear that with everything that has happend to me, I am thinking of searching about the "Surrogacy".  I have tried to carry my own children in my womb, but if that can't happend, I have to see what kind of procedure, cost, and what ever comes along with doing that.. Thanks for all your comments.
I have thyroid problems.  From what I know there are different ways to measure your thyroid levels.  T4 is one such measure.  T4 is not a disease in and of itself, unless there is something I don't know.  You are either hyperthyroid (too much) or hypothyroid (too little).  Both types can cause miscarriage and infertility.  I asked my endocronologist if my thyroid problems had caused my miscarriage.  By taking a look at my thyroid levels during my pregnancy (I have them checked monthly) he was able to determine that my thyroid did not cause the problem.  Only by looking at the levels while you are pregnant can such a determination be made.  If your thyroid is swollen chances are that you have hyperthyroidism.  Put "graves" disease and "hyperthyroidism" into google for more information.  Hyperthyroidism can be treated with surgery, radiation, or drugs.  One endocronologist strongly discouraged me from radiation because he believes it can hurt the reproductive system.  I opted for surgery, because I figured if it was gone there would be no problem.  I still have a lot of problems with it though.
how long have you been trying? why aren't the drs. being clear on the correlation between thyroid, ivf, and m/c? is there anyone in your drs. office you can speak to about all your concerns? i thought that a thyroid problem could be treated -no? again, i don't know much about thyroid problems or ivf for that matter so i could be asking out of complete naivety. don't give up yet!! i recently heard a story from a woman who suffered 7 m/cs and was told there was no way she could carry a baby - she switched drs. (who suggested a different angle) and her next pregnancy stuck - she has a baby boy now. i hope that you don't have to go through too much more in ttc and that you're holding your baby in your arms very soon.
I would see an endocrinolist, that is a thyroid doctor.  I take synthroid for my thyroid and I am now 18w along with only minor problems, like a cyst on my orvry.  They have to check my thyroid every trimester to make sure it is okay because it can cause problems.  I would get your thyroid levels straight and then try again.  You may be successful in carring a baby after that.
I am sorry to say, I dont know about IVF AND "throidism" but...I was diagnosed with graves disease (hyperthroidism) back in 1996, the dr's wanted to remove my thyroid, I opted to try and control it with medication (called PTU, for short) because there was a small chance it could reverse itself.  Well, it did.  It took a long time and defied all of the dr's predictions.  My point being, dont give up!!!  Miracles happen everyday, no matter what the dr's think, they are not God! (wink).  I wish you all the best, and barrels of baby dust!!!