Maternal & Child Community
TODDLER BOY YEAST INFECTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

TODDLER BOY YEAST INFECTION

MY SON IS 2 AND HE HAS BEEN SUFFERING FROM A YEAST IFECTION FOR 4 MONTHS. WE HAVE TAKEN HIM IN TO SEE HIS DOC, BUT NOTHING HAS SEEMED TO WORK. BECAUSE OF THIS INFECTION HE HAS BECOME CONSTIPATED FOR THE FEAR AND PAIN OF HAVING A BM. HE IS ON A STOOL SOFTENER. I AM AT A LOSS AND MY HEART BREAKS EVERY TIME I TRY TO CHANGE HIS DIAPER( HE WONT EVEN LET ME REALLY SEE HOW BAD IT IS) ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD PASS ON TO ME WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I AM VERY CONCERNED. I HAVE ALSO CONSIDERED WITHOLDING MILK FOR A TIME TO SEE IF THAT MIGHT HELP. HE RARLY HAS SUGAR, OTHER THAN YOGURT AND JUICE FOR THE STOOL SOFTENER.
Has he been on any antibiotics? My only suggestion that worked with my daughter was Nystantin (I think that is the spelling).  Sometimes a pharmacist is the best person to ask in these situations as they know what usually works best.  In our area we also have pharmacist compounders that take different things and put them together to make a remedy, they are especially great at things like diaper rash, etc.  

Also I am not sure about this for yeast infection but I know that Crisco (yes the cooking grease) works well for diaper rashes. NOT the oil but the actual can of white grease.  It offers a layer of protection against the diaper and keeps the urine and poop away from their skin. It is basically fragrance free and free of all the other ingredients in other ointments that may cause irritation.  I know it is hard to believe but my girlfriend's daughter had a terrible rash and I told her about it and she did not believe me well after a month or so with no getting better her neighbor who is a nurse suggested it to her as well. She about fell out of her chair.  It was recommended to my mom by a pediatrician when my younger brother had a severe rash.
kassimom i think hit that one on the head.  I was always told keep it clean & dry.  and keep up with the yogurt.  yogurt has natural bacteria that your body needs.  
we all have good and bad bacteria in our bodies (we need them both) they usually work in a check and balance system. a teast infection is when the balance gets way out of wack which is why the yogurt usually works to balance the system back out

good luck it doesn't sound like much fun.

myson was hard enough to potty train, i wouldn't want to try and contend with that at the same time
I used to foster a little boy who had a nasty yeast infection when I got him. He was about 2 as well.

I bathed him twice a day in epsom salt and let him run around naked for about 15 minutes afterward to dry out the area. When I did put a diaper on him, I put cornstarch (cooking cornstarch) and the Rx cream (which I beleive was soemthing like nystatin) on him SPARINGLY. My daughter has gotten a few yeat infections from antibiotics and this same remedy helped with her. The warm bath is very soothing. Also, wash your hands thoroughly!!! Yeast spreads rapidly, especially in warm moist areas like a diaper. And when you let him run around naked, limit him to one room if possible and lay out a bunch of towels. Also, limit his toys and such to those that you can sterilize because he will scratch himself then play with his toys. To let the area air out even more, put loose underwear on him. That way the infection is covered to limit spreading it but also plenty of air gets to it so that the area is not a breeding groudn for the infection to get worse.

Sorry you are going through this. I know how horrible it was with my foster child. He was miserable!
My son was battling a nasty and bleeding diaper rash for months as well. Started as a yeast infection and would not go away. We did everything including sacrificing our floors (carpet and natural hardwood) and let him run around naked all the time. Here are a couple other "remedies"

1. Baking soda baths are the best as they are even more gentle then regular water.

2. You can purchase nystatin or any other OTC yeast cream, but do so only if it has been suggested by the doctor. Also, hydrocortisone cream can be applied, but get an rx (stronger formula than OTC)

3. Let him run naked as much as possible.

4. No juice, no sugar, hold off on acidic fruits. Basically, check with your doctor and see if they will agree to have you put him on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) for a couple days.

5. Avoid wipes altogether. For every BM and wet diaper take him into the bath and rinse him with either plain water or baking soda water (it is tedious, but worth it) If you don't have one, invest in a detachable shower head (you know the ones with a hose you can manuever all over, they are a Godsend with babies)

6. And finally, change diaper brands!! My son had been using Pampers from day one (most consistently, we switched brands here and there). Turns out by total fluke we found out he was allergic to the fragrance most diaper companies put in them!! We wound up have to switch to Huggies Supreme as they were the only major brand that didn't perfume their diapers! Even Ultratrims were a problem. Target also sells "hypoallergenic" diapers as their house brand.

Good luck!!

Andrea
Hey hun my son had the same thing at 2weeks of age and was hospital lized he was concitpated and scared me silly but they gave him an IV and some medcation through it and he got better I don't know if its serious enough to take to the HP but at 2weeks we freaked out lol well anyways I really can't help you on this one..
Well My son just turned 2 on Thankgiving (Oct 13th, 2008) He has been getting Yeast Infections off & on for the past few months and the doc gave a creme to put o him at every diaper change it s almost like Cansten but gentlier for his bottom. He also had trouble wearing scented diapers he have to use Huggies on him beacuse he also has Ezama. So I was wondering about baby wipes ? what is a good that i should use on him at is not scented?........If anyone can respond to my question it would be very appreichiated thank -you very much Pround mommy
If you go to Walmart or any store they have wipes that are for sensitive skin and unscented now.