HI EVERYONE. I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND HAVE REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR POST.
I AM 28 YRS OLD AND THIS IS MY SECOND PG. I HAVE A PERFECTLY HEALTHY 7YR OLD DD. I AM CURRENTLY 25W 0D W/ DD2.
I HAD THE TRIPLE SCREEN TEST DONE 2 MONTHS AGO . MY DOC CALLED AND TOLD ME MY TEST RESULTS WERE LOW AND I HAVE A 1/400 CHANCE THAT MY DD HAS DOWNES. AT MY AGE THE NUMBER SHOULD BE 1/1000. MY DOC TOLD ME THE ONLY WAY TO BE CERTIAN WAS TO HAVE THE AMNIO DONE... THE AMNIO HAS A 1/200 CHANCE OF CAUSING A MC. I WAS NOT ABLE TO RISK LOSING MY DD . SINCE FINDING OUT THE RESULTS OF THE TEST I HAVE READ A LOT ON THE TRIPLE SCREEN TEST. IT SEEMS THAT THERE IS AN EXTREMELY NO. OF FALSE POSTIVE RESULTS AND I WISH I HAD NEVER TAKEN THE TEST. I AM OVERWHELMED WITH CONCERN THAT THERE COULD BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY DD. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TEST DONE AND HAD SIMILAR RESULTS ? SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT THIS ?
This is my first pregnancy so i don't know much, but i refused the test because of that reason. My nurse and Doctor told me that they are known for having false positive results. I didn't want to worry myself so i decided not to have the test. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think that everything will be fine.
My advise to you is to request a detailed US where they meassure your baby and they can tell you even more then just the blood test (tripple test) My tripple test came negative, but I still had the "big" us and they measured my girl to see if things are ok. They should be able to tell more by that.
I did the nuchal testing at 12 weeks so I didn't get the tripple test done but there are other things that can be done besides the amnio. Have they done a level 2 ultrasound? They should be able to get measurements on your babies spine, thickness of the neck, nasal measurements etc. Those are all indicators in assessing risk for Downs. Another "soft indicator" for Down's is a small calcium deposit in the left or right heart chamber. They can also run another afp test to see how your levels are there. Unfortunately you are beyond the point that they can do the nuchal testing. It's most accurate between 11 and 13 weeks.
My last baby died from downs at around 14 weeks. I did not want to risk another miscarriage (I've had three) so I also opted against the amnio. I hope everything works out for you.
I was 19 when I first got pregnant with my daughter who is now 5. I had the triple-screen test at 5 months, it came back positive for downs syndrome, and my statistics were 1/150. I had to have amino and several ultrasounds done. Came to find out that the pregnancy had started as twins, the aminotic sac developed but the 2nd baby didn't.
I don't if this helped or not, but I saw the post and wanted to comment.
I was very worried about it 2 mo ago. Since then I have really done my homework and my chances being 1/400 are actually 1/4 of 1 percent sounds better that way I think. I also read that the test is not a diaonastic test, it is a screening. Something I feel may be a factor is my weight. I am very much over weight and this could be a factor bcuz there is a formula the lab use to calculate the results.
I did not have the test done with my 1st DD, bcuz I did not go to the doc until I was 20 weeks .... was 19 yrs old and in denial. This time my doc asked if I wanted to give blood during a rountine visit . I asked what for and he replied for some rountine test.... of course I said "sure" why not.
After receiving my "positive " results I asked lots of people if they had this test and to my suprise more the 2/3 of them said nope. Like I said in my previous post... I wish I never had the test done.
i had a false positive with my son they said he was going to have downs and at the time it was very odd b/c i was only 17 i refused to have the amnio b/c of risk of m/c and i son was perfectly healthy when he was born i wouldn't worry too much like the other posts said it has a high false positive my ob doesn't even like to give them but he offers the woman the chance and explains to them that it is not very accurate.
Something positive: I have had a girl, a boy, and then another girl. The first time I had my daughter, they scared me half to death with similar results, genetic counseling, you name it, they suggested it...I rejected the amnio, and the "abortion choice". I then had my son, and the AFP was normal. After my second daughter was due, I had the same AFP as my first daughter. This time I didn't sweat it and she came out fine too. These results are only a percentile, not a definate reading. It only tells you your CHANCES of having a down syndrome baby compared to say 1000 women. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy. PS>>>>forget the amnio...you may be putting your baby at more risk for no reason....
Yes, I totally agree that Triple Test should not be done before 15 weeks. I did the test and due to my age (35), my risk was even higher. However, I went to see another specialist and did the 2 degree US and measured the back bone thickness and the nasal bone and this time, the doc said the baby is absolutely healthy. In fact, he told me that at this era, having first baby at 35 is still very safe and I can expect to have 2 or 3 more healthy babies, if I want. This is what that actually gave me the confident and courage to carry on.
Just for everyone's info, I am now in my 33 weeks and getting very uncomfortable in getting the right position during my sleep. And my baby is hiccuping alot!!!
I had an AFP4 test (the quadruple screen test) at 17 weeks. 36 y/old and dr wanted me to get an amnio but because of the risk of miscarriage, I chose to do the blood test first. The test came back positive and I was told my chances that the baby had Downs went from 1 in 177 to 1 in 46! When they delivered the news, the genetics counselor made it sound like a death sentence. My risk went from 1/2% to 2%. What they don't say, is that the chances of your baby NOT having DS is 98%.
As a result of the positive result on the marker test, I did decide to do the amnio which came back 100% clean. My advice: Don't let the results on the screen test stress you out - I spent two weeks (as did my husband) anxiety-stricken over NOTHING. For me, though, it was still worth it to do the amnio, I wanted to know so we could plan ahead of time for a child with any problems. The peace of mind of knowing now is what I needed.
If you get an amnio, my advice is to try to find a perinatal center that specializes in them, even if you have to go further to find one. The more they do each day, the better the technicians and the doctors are at working together to do the amnio properly. I live in San Francisco, CA and the center there that did my test has a rate of 1 in 10,000 miscarriage not the national stat of 1 in 200. Don't be afraid to ask them what their stats are and BE PUSHY.
I have a friend in NC who had her OB/GYN do the amnio and she miscarried. May be superstitious but I think asking how many amnios your doc or center does is important. Educate yourself so you know you've got an expert performing the procedure.
20 wks pregnant with a boy.....best to all pregnant moms on the board!
Hello Everyone. I just had a triple screen test done a few days ago and I was told today that I tested positive for Down Syndrome. I have had two prior pregnancies and was never told anything like this. I am not even sure if I was tested for it, but I have two healthy little girls. My doctor did not tell me that the test was optional, he just ordered me to have one. I am not sure if this is standard testing, or if this was a test I did not have to have done. Right now I am really scared and confused. Having a amnio done is not an option for me. I do not want to risk lossing my child, especially to find out after that he was prefectly fine. I am trying to think postive about this whole thing, but to tell you the truth it is really hard not to give it thought every 20 seconds. I have been told that many people get false positive results all the time, but I am still worried because I am sure many of them are truly positive. I am only 19 weeks. I have a while to go and I dont want to go through the rest odf my pregancy scared out of my mind. Can some one please give some suggestions.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.