Maternal & Child Community
TSH 6.5, maybe anovulatory? Advice to prep for RE visit!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 35 with a 2-year-old son conceived very easily. I've been trying to conceive #2 for 6 months. I had what I think are hypothyroid symptoms (thinning and dry hair, dry eyes, cold) and had a complete thyroid test by my primary care doc. My TSH was 6.5 (other levels all in normal ranges). He said it's subclinical and won't treat me. I also had ANA and Sjogren's tests done because of the dry eyes. Sjogren's was totally normal; ANA was 1:64, homogeneous. Primary care doc was not at all concerned about this (I am, of course!).

I've been temping and charting for three months and using Clearplan ovulation monitor for one month. My temps appear to have a slight upward swing in mid-cycle, but often have a single or two low temps during what should be post-ovulation. I did not get a positive OPK result last month. Of course, I'm TERRIFED that I'm in premature ovarian failure and reading the internet isn't helping. I have my first RE visit next week and my husband can't come. I am so scared I am going to get terrible news by myself.

Any advice/thoughts on what I should be asking. I honestly do not believe I am ovulating. Could a TSH of 6.5 be enough to affect ovulation or is that false hope? Can I possibly conceive with that level?  What do I need to do to be prepared to see this RE?
Thank you!
Juliet
I'm sorry I do not exactly understand the lingo and termology...  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm sure you know this already but try to stay stress free.  Stress can be a key factor in not being able to conceive.  Try to think positive and stop worrying so much.

Baby Dust to you and hope you get your BFP soon!

Fyi, I've been trying for over a year...  you're not alone.
I have been tring for 10 months and I am 6 weeks preg. hang in there it will happen.  I have a 4 year old with no problem concieving.  Dr. told me not to be worried since I had one with no problem.  Keep trying and have fun!!!
Hey girl!!!  I have Hoshimotto's disease and this affects my thyroid levels as well... I have Hypothyroid which means that your TSH is higher than normal...they usually like it lower than 4.0... and Yes it will affect ovulation too!!!! you need to set up an appointment with a regular endocrinologist in order to get you started on some meds....after that, your regular Dr. can watch your TSH levels every 6 weeks so that is within normal range....I currently take synthroid and I get my levels checked every 4 weeks because my levels keep going up and then down....Good luck to you and if you have questions please let me know... My DH and I have been ttc for 2 years..... so I understand how frustrating it can be!!!!
Thanks, everyone!
So, I'm NOT crazy that a TSH of 6.5 needs to be looked at, even if my T3 and T4 looked okay? I just feel convinced that my thyroid could be affecting my ability to ovulate. Everything I've read suggests it can. Yet my GP was totally unwilling to even talk about treatment. I'm curious to see what my reproductive endo says!
Thanks again!
definately get this checked by an endocrinologist because any type of thyroid issue needs to be dealt with before conceiving.  I had two miscarriages last year and my endo seems to believe it was because I was off of my meds.  He put me back on my meds in July and I was pregnant again by Sept. and gave birth this past June to a perfect little boy!  So.....I would definately have this checked.  Good luck and I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon.
I agree with project baby.  I too have what she has. My thyroid went on me after Marcus. It took almost 6 months for the doctors to figure it out.  Friends and family just said my hormones were just adjusting and not to worry. My hair fell out, my muscles and joints hurt and I was tired all the time.  They had checked my thyroid level and it was producing too much and then not enough. Now I'm on Eltroxin for life.  I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and we are keeping a close eye on it. My level is at 2.95.  The normal should be 0.3 to 4.25 (or 4). An unstable thryoid problem can cause miscarriages or problems for the developing baby.  Get a second opinion and I'm sure things will look up for you in the baby department.
I am not sure what a normal thyroid level is.  I just figure it out when they print out my blood tests.  In the six months since my m/c I've menstruated  three times.  These were 49, 76 and 54 days apart.  They kept telling me not to worry about it, but then they finally admitted I was hyperthyroid the whole time.  Just three days after I dropped my dosage I got my AF, that was the third AF I've gotten since the M/C.  Anyway, yes, keep looking at your thyroid.  Why don't use pose this quesiton on the Thyroid forum?  They did a pretty good job of answering my question.  Good luck.