MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Taking Valiums While Pregnant
by afambrough, Aug 09, 2005
I am taking Valiums a 5mg .. I just took a home pregnancy test and its postive.  Should I keep taking them  or what? Thanks for any information.
Angel
Member Comments (15)
by gonza, Aug 09, 2005
Consult your doctor.
by cinnamonheart, Aug 09, 2005
Well your best to contact your doctor about any medications while pregnant sometimes
Depending on why your taking a certain medication
Your doctor can advise you on the pros and cons of it all.
Reading  directions on the box may give you information until you can contact the doctor
by IWantToBeAMom, Aug 09, 2005
From www.healthsquare.com

Do not take Valium if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. There is an increased risk of birth defects.  If this medication is essential to your health, your doctor may advise you to discontinue breastfeeding until your treatment is finished.
by IWantToBeAMom, Aug 09, 2005
From www.rxlist.com

Usage in Pregnancy: An increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of minor tranquilizers during the first trimester of pregnancy has been suggested in several studies. Because use of these drugs is rarely a matter of urgency, their use during this period should almost always be avoided. The possibility that a woman of childbearing potential may be pregnant at the time of institution of therapy should be considered. Patients should be advised that if they become pregnant during therapy or intend to become pregnant they should communicate with their physicians about the desirability of discontinuing the drug.

by jamiescrew, Aug 09, 2005
I just wanted to post my experience here. I am now 36 weeks preg. I was taking Ativan and still am, I don't take them everyday but I do as needed. They are almost the same thing as Valium. Everyone is different, but I know my child is fine. I have been to the doctor every week since I was 30 weeks (because of my problems with my last pregnancy) and had level 2 ultrasounds, but my opinion is that taking medicine like this at the lowest dose and trying not to take it very much will not absolutely hurt anything. Nothing is wrong with my child and I knew the risks and there are risks, however do the risks outweigh the benefits, I have panic attacks. Anyway this is just my opinion. Thanks
by gonza, Aug 09, 2005
And thank God for Tylenol and Tums!!!!!
by Clarter, Aug 09, 2005
Only Tylenol and Tums unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
by jluhart, Aug 10, 2005
I would stick to taking the only safe ones suggested by doctors because they don't know when other drugs are safe and when they aren't.  Just because your baby has not been harmed, doesn't mean someone else's child would be.
by jamiescrew, Aug 10, 2005
My doctor knows what I take and he is fine with it at low doses. My child has not been harmed however i posted in the other on that I KNOW THE RISKS and unless you know how mental problems affect you then I would not try to tell other people what to do or how to take medicine. Panic attacks are very scary things. I would never wish that upon my worst enemy. I know as well as anyone else that you should not abuse these drugs at anytime especially when you are pregnant, however in my case everything is fine and the benefits outweigh the risks. I am not trying to cause problems but unless you know all the facts then I would appreciate you not trying to tell me what to do. There are many posts all over the internet about taking Ativan while you are pregnant and yes there is a risk of birth defects however there are other wonderful stories about taking it and a good outcome.