Maternal & Child Community
Taking Valiums While Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Taking Valiums While Pregnant

I am taking Valiums a 5mg .. I just took a home pregnancy test and its postive.  Should I keep taking them  or what? Thanks for any information.
Angel
Consult your doctor.
Well your best to contact your doctor about any medications while pregnant sometimes
Depending on why your taking a certain medication
Your doctor can advise you on the pros and cons of it all.
Reading  directions on the box may give you information until you can contact the doctor
From www.healthsquare.com

Do not take Valium if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. There is an increased risk of birth defects.  If this medication is essential to your health, your doctor may advise you to discontinue breastfeeding until your treatment is finished.
From www.rxlist.com

Usage in Pregnancy: An increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of minor tranquilizers during the first trimester of pregnancy has been suggested in several studies. Because use of these drugs is rarely a matter of urgency, their use during this period should almost always be avoided. The possibility that a woman of childbearing potential may be pregnant at the time of institution of therapy should be considered. Patients should be advised that if they become pregnant during therapy or intend to become pregnant they should communicate with their physicians about the desirability of discontinuing the drug.

Only Tylenol and Tums unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
And thank God for Tylenol and Tums!!!!!
I just wanted to post my experience here. I am now 36 weeks preg. I was taking Ativan and still am, I don't take them everyday but I do as needed. They are almost the same thing as Valium. Everyone is different, but I know my child is fine. I have been to the doctor every week since I was 30 weeks (because of my problems with my last pregnancy) and had level 2 ultrasounds, but my opinion is that taking medicine like this at the lowest dose and trying not to take it very much will not absolutely hurt anything. Nothing is wrong with my child and I knew the risks and there are risks, however do the risks outweigh the benefits, I have panic attacks. Anyway this is just my opinion. Thanks
Thanks to everyone who responded to my comment. For anyone that knows about anxiety and I believe that a lot of you do, It always makes you feel better to know that someone knows how you feel...thanks
My doctor knows what I take and he is fine with it at low doses. My child has not been harmed however i posted in the other on that I KNOW THE RISKS and unless you know how mental problems affect you then I would not try to tell other people what to do or how to take medicine. Panic attacks are very scary things. I would never wish that upon my worst enemy. I know as well as anyone else that you should not abuse these drugs at anytime especially when you are pregnant, however in my case everything is fine and the benefits outweigh the risks. I am not trying to cause problems but unless you know all the facts then I would appreciate you not trying to tell me what to do. There are many posts all over the internet about taking Ativan while you are pregnant and yes there is a risk of birth defects however there are other wonderful stories about taking it and a good outcome.
What happens during your panic attacks?  I'm just curious because I don't know a lot about them...
i just wanted to say that i totally understand what you are going through. i used to take Xanax and paxil for panic attacks. they are horrible! one landed me in the hospital. i quit the xanax a few years ago. but i took the paxil until i was 7 months pregnant.i now have a VERY healthy 4 month old. i know how panic attacks are and how it is very hard to function normally when you have them or scared you are going to have one. i wish you the best. Danielle
I had several of them when I was in college.  I was working, going to school, and having relationship problems.  The first time it happened, I thought I was having a heart attack.  My heart would race, I felt nauseous, and like I couldn't breathe.  And such a horrible feeling of being trapped- like the world is closing in on you.  They always seemed to occur at the worst time- in class, at a nice restaurant w/family, etc.  I also took Xanax and dumped the sorry boyfriend.  The following year, I decided to go to school part-time, and was able to stop taking the meds.  I've learned to pay close attention to my stress level and know when I'm taking on too much.  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I understand.
Settle down, I meant you collectively, not you as an individual.  Plus, I also said to stick to ones deemed safe by your doctor.  If he says go ahead, good for you.
I would stick to taking the only safe ones suggested by doctors because they don't know when other drugs are safe and when they aren't.  Just because your baby has not been harmed, doesn't mean someone else's child would be.
I liked what you posted. im 33 weeks pregnant 4th child, ive only taken 3 .5 valium well 4 tonight to help me sleep and not everynight, but all along i was taking unisom because it was suggested by my doctor. i stopped taking the unisom because i think ive built up a tolerance and im still concerned. in all reality i know my child is perfectly fine. all my tests have came back perfect. What do you think?