Maternal & Child Community
Taking clomid after the birth control shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi im new here but saw a lot of interesting information. My husband and i have been trying to have a baby. I was on the depo from june of 02 and i was supposed to have my last injection in july 15th of 04. I have been off the shot now for a little over 2 months. I had all the pregnancy symptoms and have a line going down from my belly button down the the pubic line. I dont really know if im pregnant or not and all the home pregnancy tests keep showing up negative. I haven't started my period back up yet. I was wondering if i wasnt pregnant since i've been off the shot for 2 months now if the doctors would be able to give me clomid to speed up my ovulation and to get my periods back? So since i havent started my peirosds back up yet how will the doctors beable to tell what days i should be taking the pill. And how much would it cost. But again i dont know if im pregnant or not. Please help.
Hmmmmmm...hmmmm.....(oh, well, just in case).

The first thing to do is to make an appt. with your Gyn to be examined and to have a blood pregnancy test.  

Everyone who is ttc should have had an exam and discussion with their doc first.  This is often called Preconception counseling.  During this visit, you will not only be examined, but methods to improve chances of conception will be discussed, things/medications to avoid while ttc, family history of diseases will be explored, and you will likely be told to begin taking a prenatal vitamin.

Unfortunately after going off Depo, your periods may take a few months to get back to normal. Sometimes up to a year.  Most doctors will tell you to just wait it out.  Clomid is not candy--it is a very serious drug with serious side effects.  They won't just hand it out to jump-start you, more than likely.

You don't have to use birth control during this time.  Many women take a HPT every month until they get their periods back to increase the likelihood they know about their pregnancy early.  Best thing to do is to have intercourse every other to every third day during this time, until you get your periods back regularly and can begin tracking ovulation with more confidence.
the problem with coming off depo is it can take 6 months to a year to resume your regular cycles.  There is nothing they will do you just have to wait.  Also they go from your last shot still being effective for three months so you have to kindof think of stopping the depo as three months after your last shot
Hey this is christie again i just psoted a questing a couple days ago. I still have all the pregnancy symptoms but some of them are getting worse and some of them are easing up. Today i had really bad cramping like i was going to start my period but never came and the cramps get a little worse. for example some of the cramping fells like your puting alcohol and a cut like somthings stretching in my stomach. I havent started my period but today it felt like iw as going to but havent yet. About a week ago i formed a line going down from my belly button down you can barely see it, but last week it appeard then went away this week its not going away and gets more noticible. i heard that if you have that line your preg. is that ture. If so would i be able to get the transvaginal ultrasound insted of blood tests and pee tests. do you think im preg. i really hope i am i've prayed every day that i was for a birthday present. my birthday is next sat and i hope for really good news so does my husband. please help
christie
No, a line down your tummy does not mean you are pregnant. SOME women get this line, called Linea Negra, I believe, when they are further along, but not that early and it is certainly not an indication of pregnancy.

Just from what you describe, I would say you are not pregnant. Early pregnancy symptoms mimic PMS symptoms and your body right now is regulating hormones from the shot you were on.

As for the clomid, as previously stated, it is not candy and Dr's don't just hand it out to jump start ovulation. If you have no reason to believe you are not ovulating, then you will just have to try to get pregnant for a year before even considering any option such as that.

As for the transvaginal ultrasound, your Dr would perfrom a blood test on you first. This is another medical intervention that they won't do just because you want to be pregnant. If a home test is coming up negative still and you are doing it right, then chances are you are not pregnant.

The best thing you can do right now is wait for your cycles to resume normally. That is wait for a preiod (period) then wait for one more before actively trying so that you have a good grasp of how long your cycle lasts, when you should ovulate and thus when you concieve (conceive). If you try to concieve (conceive) without knowledge of at least when you COULD HAVE ovulated, then dates can be way off for when you are due when you DO get pregnant.