Maternal & Child Community
Tampond falling out, stress incontinence after childbirth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone had a problem using tampons after having a baby, and suffered from episodes of stress incontinence?    I have a 17 month old, but I'm still having issues with tampons not staying in AT ALL.  They fall right out.  I've been doing my kegels (learned how to do them properly after months of physical therapy) daily for over a year.  I even bought my own biofeedback unit to help get strong.  My stress incontinence has gotten better but I still have leaks when I have a full bladder and/or exercise.   I'm extremely depressed about this since I'm only 31 and would like to have another baby soon.  I don't know how much worse this will make my condition and if my body can withstand the demands of pregnancy.  I will most likely ask for a c-section with #2.  Suggestions/feedback is much appreciated.
I know what you mean, I had so many problems after Carson was born, he was 10 lbs. 3 oz. and I'm pretty small.  I tore 4th degree through my rectum and Cars pulled my cervix out with him when he was born.  I did finally go to a physical therapist when Carson was a few months shy of 2, wished I had talked to my OB sooner about it.  Even with kegels, I still have issues with tampons, they slip out when they begin to get a little heavy.  I did have baby #2 and felt like he was going to fall out, I got varicose veins along my scar tissue, and began to have pain around 20 weeks.  I made it just fine, pretty sore at the end, but delivered him vaginally and he was much smaller, 8 lbs. 13 oz.  My Dr. stitched me up more and it made a huge difference.  I have found I can use super tampons and they stay put a little better, but once I got stitched up it really helped as I was much different after the first baby.  I still have to watch my bladder and make sure it doesn't get too full, stress will affect it too, like lifting my boys, but I keep doing my kegels, quick and slow.  I decided against a c section with #2 since the damage was already done, but each person is different and each case is different.  It's more common than you realize, but I would talk to your OB about your fears.  Cheer up, and good luck!
I too have the same problem when my son was born in 2000 vaginally,a nurse practioner,was trying to get my placenta and instead she pulled out my uterus,I then had a prolapse uterine inversion,and my orginal gyno had to come in and put the uterus back in,and I haven't been able to wear tampoons since,I had a miscarriage in 2002 where I hemorraged,and 2005 I gave birth to my other son 8lbs 7 ozs,but still can't wear them and they also fall out,so now I'm dealing with scar tissue,and cyst on my left ovary ..hopefully one of these days I can enjoy tampoons,instead of a bulky pad arrgghh....Good Luck
Yes, I thought it was just me.  My son was 9 lbs 2 oz and now I'm all stretched out that tampons fall down.  I have to use the supers to have them stay in.  Those thin ones for light days slip right out.  It's annoying and painful.  I hate wearing bulky pads but I don't know what else to do.  
My daughter is 12 and son is 8months - after I had my son I can't wear Tampons at all - the fall right out so I am left having to wear the wonder pads - my af are so heavy any way that I soak even the super big tampons - my boss told me that she puts two in - i am not sure if that is good or not but i would not do it - got love those pads
My daughter is 8months and I'm still leaking urine if I cough or sneeze. I just got my first period and tried to insert a tampon but I think I have a prolapsed uterus cause there seems to be a wall of muscle inside my vagina. I haven't been to the gyno yet as i'm living in a foreign country. I have been researching on the web about alternatives to tampons and found a product called the "Diva Cup"  it's worth a look. I have just ordered one so hopefully it will be here before the next period comes as I don't like the bulky pads. The Diva Cup sits lower in the vaginal  canal and comes in 2 sizes. One for pre-preg, and one for after childbirth. I hope this info might help someone.
Hi ladies!  I was actually looking for some information about tampons falling out and the surgery that goes along wtih it, but found this thread instead. My second daughter is now 19 months old and I have had the same problem with my tampons falling out.  It's a horrible inconvenience and it gets really expensive going through all the tampons I go through.  I finally went to see my family physician about it a few months back.  He checked me out and said that my muscle tone was good but that I was stretched out from having the babies.  He referred me to an ob/gyn and thought that he probably wouldn't do anything for me since I wasn't having issues with bladder or bowel.  But, I went to the ob/gyn and he was awesome!!!  He agreed to do a surgery to recut where I had the episiotomies done and then stitch it up tighter.  I was thrilled!  I had the surgery last week!  I'm not sure how much good it's going to do since it's only been a week and a half, but it may be worth talking to your doctor about it.  Good luck to all of you!
Yay for you!  I had mine stitched tighter too after baby #2.  First baby tore throught my rectum and all the work I did wasn't enough either.  My Dr. stitched me up after delivery, it's much better, you will be very happy I bet!
How long did it hurt after your surgery?  I'm at 1.5 weeks post surgery and the pain is getting worse.  I don't have any signs of infection but the pain is not much fun.  I'm wondering if it's hurting due to it being too tight or if there could be an infection without other symptoms.
I'm sorry, I just checked back on this or I would've responded sooner.  I felt pretty good after about 2 weeks, was a little tender before that though.  Bowel movements were still painful and still are, but some things are nerve damage and may not ever be the same as before.  I would try the cold compresses and do the sitsz baths till it's healed up.  After that maybe call your Dr. if you are still not feeling good, it should not be feeling worse.
I'm having the same problem with my tampons falling out.  Although it seems when I attempt to put them in, they are hitting something and either go in sideways or the top of the tampon makes a u-turn and comes right back out with the string end up inside.  Very uncomfortable.  I never had problems before kids, but now I've had 2 and go through TONS of tampons trying to get one in.  I didn't have these problems after my first, but now after my second I am.  My OB/GYN has said he can tighten me up, but will that fix the problem with the tampons "hitting" things as I'm trying to insert them?
I too am having difficulty after 2 children & feel that I am literally 'hitting' something when inserting a Tampon - starting to worry if I have a prolapse too as I can feel 'something' at the bottom of my Vagina when I sit & walk....

Tried getting bigger Tampons but they still keep on falling out! - My last baby is only 5mths old but combined with much heavier periods I am at the end of my tether!!
I am so glad to read these comments and know I am not alone. After baby #2, I've not been able to wear tampons. I too have the problem of feeling like I am hitting a "wall" when I insert the tampon, and then it points to one side or other other of my vagina, but never directly in. I'm not even 30 (for a few more weeks at least) and am really freaked out at the thought of a prolapse.
What a relief to read these comments, and know that we are not alone! And the way bnmom describes inserting a tampon is the exact same problems i feel.
I finally discovered an alternative to Tampons and Pads that has been life changing. http://www.mooncup.co.uk . I have been using it for several years now and it works 80% better than tampons or pads did after having kids. In addition since its not irritating my insides due to stuffing bleached cotton up there every month I dont seem to get any bacterial or yeast infections anymore. It was so life changing I bought one for my mother and will get one for my teen age daughter one day.