Maternal & Child Community
Tampons after a C-Section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tampons after a C-Section

I understand the reasoning for not using a tampon after a vaginal birth since there's swelling, tearing, overall trauma. But why can't I use a tampon after a c-section when my vagina's completely intact? Doesn't the uterus shed whatever lining like a period? I'd so prefer a tampon over sitting in pads of blood. I'm not sure how an intact vagina can have any increased chance of infection???
You most deffinately shed the lining. It comes out in clots and chunks and goo and its like a period. I dont really know if it is because of chance of infection also though....good question.
Did you have a scheduled c-section or did you go into labor first and then they decided to do a c-section.  If you went into labor first your cervix is still open and that would have something to do with it.  No sure though.  Sorry could help much.
It's a planned c-section coming up at the end of the month. I heard it's clotty which makes me even more not want to sit in a pad! Guess I'll ask the doctor to explain why.
(I'm having my c-section on Monday.. forgot to mention that)
My understanding is the risk of infection exists when using a tampon, regardless of how you deliver. Whether you have a section or a vaginal delivery there is going to be a lot of bleeding and discharge following delivery. Wearing a pad is a necessary evil, falls into the "something you need to deal with to have a baby" category.

Andi
Yeah.. I HATE pads, but I will just deal with it because I don't want to risk an infection... especially when I have to deal with c-section recovery, a 3yr old, a newborn and regular household duties when I get home. An infection would not be on my "to do" list if I can help it.. No matter how much I *love* huge, nasty, stinky diaper pads. LOL...
I think, regardless of "how" you deliver, doctors dont want you using tampons because they want all the stuff to be able to come out- thus, a pad. A tampon would just plug things up and only absorb the blood when there may also be some more solid stuff that needs to pass, too...
i have gone through both a vaginal delivery and csection.  it is awful to have to use those bulky pads after delivery, but look on the brighter side.  after i had my csection i didn't have to wear those awful net underwear the hospital greatly encouraged after the vaginal delivery.  just some white cotton bottoms.  good luck
no tampons until your normal af returns after baby.
Ok, went to MD and asked all about it. In a c-section delivery there is NO increase chance of infection more than a regular period. He said the biggest thing is 'inconvenience' meaning 1. Women tend to be a little drier down there after a c-section so it may be uncomfortable putting it in and out and 2. He said you'll need some sort of pad, even if it's small, b/c generally the tampon will not absorb everything and often leaks.  He informed me (w/ a little laugh) that there's no such thing as 'blocking things' from coming out. Clots (eew) should not be a plenty, but will come out when tampon is removed. He told me if I'd like to try that tampon route, go ahead. I called one of the OB's I work with too on the side. Same thing. She said it's easier across the board to say "no tampons", but it has nothing to do w/ infection rate or causing any harm to mom. Once again in this whole pregnancy ride, so many doctors, so many answers. I'm definitely trying the tampons and seeing how they do!
I had a c section (after a long labour) 9 weeks ago and have just got my first period since. I used tampons for the first few days and OMG!!! how painful!!!!!! I've never had any problems before but now inserting and removing them feels like labour pains!!!!!! I tried using smaller size but no different, they are not dry when removed so its not that. Anyone any ideas why this might be? I hate using pads but i have no option at the moment!
I was just about to write what Littlesa did above...  I just got AF almost 8 weeks pp and it really burned to use a tampon at that point...  at about 4 weeks pp I decided I was going to ****** because I wanted to feel "cleaner"...  OMG...  that was very painful...  sorry, forgot to mentioned, I had a planned c-section...  I don't know why, but you are not going to want to use them immediatly following the c-section anyway...  

good luck on monday.
hum-  just saw this was from 2006-  so...  Littlesa, I don't know why it hurts, but it does-  it does return to normal...  this is my second child...  you might need to go a few periods before you return to normal...  
i am taking the kids to the water park for there birthday.. i have a One yr old a just turned 3 yr old and will be 12 yr old and a newborn just a week ago by c section... i have had a Csection with all three of my kids... the oldest is a my husbands son from a previous relationship.. any ways... i want to go swim and have fun with them too... im used to the whole c section thing and my incision is already closed... i want to go but still bleeding.. i was just think ing of using a tampon.. my my dr says no... my kids want mommy and daddy to go have fun with them... should i  used a tampon??? i mean im not gonna use it every day but.. just from 7 to 11 o clock... a very small time frame then go back to the pad.. which i hate.. but has to be done... lol let me know  what you think...
Even though you had ac section your cervix still opened if you had contractions.my doc said. I Jus had one lay month. If you had contractions you may have dilated and when you shed the lining your cervix dialates more. Also when you feel cramps during your normal period iy your cervix is opening slightly. Using tampons can give you serious infection
But i understand cus I'm sick of pads to