Maternal & Child Community
There is a sac But no fetal Pole????Is that normal Or what..Please help...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

There is a sac But no fetal Pole????Is that normal Or what..Please help

Hi my name is Jennifer and i just found out i was pregnant. My last period was Jan 31 so im about 6weeks and 4days. I had a ultrasound today and there was a sac but no fetal pole..Im really worried cause i had a miscarriage about four months ago and im really scared for that to happen again..IS that normal to not see it on ultrasound is it to early or what please help if you know anything ...Thanks Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I am currently 5 weeks pregnant and i had an ultrasound today with the same result a sac but no baby. I had mine done in the ER and the doctor there wasnt very helpful as he didnt know if this was normal or not. I too had a recent miscarriage and am very concerned as well. Please keep me posted. Good luck and God Bless
Sometimes it takes up to 8 weeks to see the fetal pole on an U/S.  Try not to worry yourself too much.  
Alicia83 is right, but typically at this point, a fetal pole and hb are seen.
This could go either way.  

This doesn't mean that your doomed....but it is a possible cause for concern.  I'm sorry.  Did your dr. schedule another u/s in a week or so?  Has he run any beta hcg tests to check your levels since you have had a m/c?  If not, call the office in the morning, and request it.  Best luck to you, and wishing you a healthy pregnancy....take care, Jen
DO NOT give up hope!! At 6 weeks, all I had was a sac. Nothing else. And at 8 weeks, everything was there. It was probaby there even earlier than 8 weeks but I wanted to wait a little longer to be sure.

I am now almost 15 weeks with a big healthy jumping baby.

It can be so scary to have an early ultrasound. My Dr says he doesn't even like to do ultrasounds until 10 weeks to prevent the poor women from stressing!!!

Remember that just as live babies grow at different rates, so can a baby in embryo.
Don't lose hope and let us know what happenes!!!
I am currently 4 cm's... ready to   have my baby ..just waiting on his stubborn lil self..lol... when i was that far along.. i had the same result as you are getting.. dont worry.. i bet everything will be just fine!
At 5w2d, we only saw a sac. Maybe you ovulated late and are not quite 6w4d yet! Are you scheduled for another u/s in a couple of weeks? You should see something by then.
It really really helps having people to talk to about this cause im so stressed out but it make s me feel a whole lot better to know people i dont even knoe CARE..It really means a whole lot to ME thanks to everyone and i hope yalls pregnancy is going WEll too..THANKS ALOT GIRL>>JEN
Hi there.  I am currently 7 3/4 weeks pregnant.  I have had 2 m/c this year.  This is quite normal actually.  With my last pregnancy at 6 weeks they found a sac and no fetal pole.  Went back and at almost 8 weeks there it was! My dr. said this is quite normal. Dont stress too much yet. Best of luck.
Same with me. At 5wks all they found was a sac and I freaked. At 7 1/2 wks. They found the baby and a heart beat. So don't give up hope I'm sure you are fine.
Hey! I had the exact same thing happen to me at 6 weeks, 5 days. Then at 7 weeks, 3 days we went back (after the doc telling me it was most likely a blighted ovum....grrrr) and there was a healthy little baby and we saw the heartbeat! I'm 17 weeks today and the baby is fine! :) Good luck!! When do you go back for another u/s??
Iam 9weeks and 2 days and i went to the doctor today to get my first ultrasound and there was the sack and no fetal pole ! The doc. told me that there should be some sign of a baby since im this far along . I am scheduled for another u/s in a week to see if there is a sign of the baby . She said there is a chance that iam only 2-4 weeks pregnant and the baby is just to small to see .but both of my pregnany test came back positive almost 5-6 weeks ago ..why would they come back positive if i really wasnt pregnant then? im confused . i just want some answers ! why doesnt the baby show up , but then next week it may show up ? is there any reason ?
I am about 5-6 weeks pregnant.  We thought that I was further along based on my last period being 1/31, but when we went for our first u/s the doctor said we were only measuring 4 wks 1 day and that they could just see the gestational sac and nothing else.  We went back at 5 wks 3 days for another u/s and the gestational sac had grown but there was not a yolk sac or fetus.  The doctor wants to schedule a d/c but I have told him I wanted to wait at least another week.  We go back on Monday (6 wks 3 days) and hope we see something then.  If not should we still wait or schedule the d/c.  We are really scared and nervous as this is our first pregnancy.
I am going through a similar situation but farther along I know the date I got pregnant as i had sex one time.  Of course menstrual dates with doc put me 4 to 5 days farther along than i truely am.  I would have been 9 weeks 1 or 2 days on monday when had trans vaginal hospital ultrasound.  Also did a external and it showed the sack at 8 1/2 week and by my dates of when i know i conceived it was only 1/2 week small.  They show it being a week and half small as they put me at almost 10 weeks when i had it although i know i wasn't/  They saw the yolk sac but no fetal pole or internal heartbeat.  We are doing another Ultrasound in a week next monday i will be just turning 10 weeks.  Anyone have this happen this late in the pregnancy?  I read earlier where a girl saw hers finally at 9 weeks 5 days and 8 weeks there was nothing that gave me a lot of hope I am not relying on doctors as I rely on God but I was just curious how many have had this happen late and then it showed up.  I was looking at ultrasound when she was showing me and i swear i faintly saw a 8 week looking baby but they were saying they saw nothing.  I think i have me a hide n seeker lol.  But any input would be good.  
right now i am going through the same thing too.  i am 26 and this will be my 2nd pregnancy and i already have a heatlhy 2 year old girl.  no m/s yet in my life, thank goodness.  so i went into the doctor this last monday and was supposed to be around 10 weeks 5 days to my LMP was jan 16th.  so i wanted to see if we could make sure i was that far along or what because i thought i was less.  i had 2 positive tests on or around feb 24th and 10 days earlier it was negative.  so even if i wasn't 10 weeks and 5 days i would be around 8 weeks when i got my vaginal u/s.   we saw the sac, but nothing at all inside. she says it measures at 6 to 7 weeks.  i'm confused at that.   i got blood drawn for 3 days in a row to check levels and it went from 40,000 the 1st day to 49,000 the 3rd day.  doctor says it doesnt double when you already get so high and levels are looking good.  also if there is no baby that i would m/s within now the next 8 days.  we have another u/s scheduled for the 16th to check again.  i've already decided that if nothing shows i want to wait at least 2 more weeks before i decide to have a d & c if no m/s at that time.  i have had no bleeding at all and no real cramping.  no signs of a m/s at this time.  me and my husband are trying to be hopeful, but its so hard.
I am so glad I found this site! I am 6 weeks 1 day and had an ultrasound today. Nothing good came of it. They said they could only see the gestational sac. No fetal pole. No nothing. My doctors said it does not look good. I have had NO bleeding, spotting, only light cramping and all those typical pregnancy symptoms. Am I getting stressed and upset to early? I have only read negative outcomes about this until I found this message board. Please help!

-Traci
I hope you let us know what happened.  I am currently 8 weeks.  I have had two ultrasounds in the last 2 weeks, both showing a gestational sac but nothing there, no fetal pole, no yolk sac, nothing.  

I had heavy cramping on Friday but no bleeding, my hcg levels are going up still but the dr said those words that are so stuck in my head, "not a viable pregnancy".  I wish I knew.  I have another ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow (4/18)

Does anyone know how long you can wait before having a D&C, is it safe to wait a couple more weeks in case it just hasn't shown up? or could I stretch it out to 12 weeks, is that bad??

I know I am accurate on my dates as I am very regular.  
Well...I am back and with bad news. This past Sunday I started showing true signs of a miscarriage. Heavy bleeding, extreme cramping, large clots. I went in on Monday and of course, my uterus was empty. Now Thursday, I am not bleeding anymore, thank God. But I keep telling myself that it was a blighted ovum which means there was never a baby there to begin with.

Regarding the last message from Heather...I would wait as long as your Dr will let you. I have read about so many women who did not have anything show up until the 10th week. And all of the sudden there was a baby and heartbeat. I know I was willing to go until 10 weeks to see what would happen. It seems that Dr just jump to do a D&C when it might not be necessary. I will pray for you and please keep us updated. Good luck!

-Traci
Hi,I am 6 weeks pregnant and this morning when  i woke up and used the bathroom to find that when I wiped myself I saw pink discharge which scared me so i went to the emergency room . They too did blood work and an ultrasound to find that there was a sac but no baby. I am very worried because i am not sure what that means. The good thing is that i haven't seen any blood at all since that one time I am just trying to stay positive and hope they will see something when I go back in 3 days.
I am currently between 5-6 weeks according to my lmp. I went for a sono yesterday and they saw the sac but no fetal pole or yolk sac. They think I probably miscarried or will. But, I have no pain or bleeding. I have to go back on Monday to see if my HCG levels went up. I am soooo nervous. I want this baby so badly and so does my husband. I've cried so much and so has my hubby. What was your outcome?

Evevaz
Hi, am just getting to know my way around this site and spending too long on computer.   Can anyone help me?!?  

I had scan last week and was measured to be 5.5 weeks.  This weeks scan measures 9.0 weeks.  I have no fetal pole, but have yolk sac seen.  My dates through my diary make me 7 weeks.  The yolk sac is 7mm.  I am scheduled for D&C next Friday, but trying to get information together beforehand.  Any advice.  I had an endometrial ablation last year and was told could not have children after.  I have three already aged 7-11 years.  Would really appreciate any comments or websites to look at. xx
I found out I was pregnant last JAn 15 through a home pregnancy kit. I was really excited because this is my first pregnancy after 5 years of being married.I'm 33 years old and I have a very irregular menstrual period and the last one I recorded was Dec 11-15 as Obgyn's basis for pregnancy dating.

My first transvaginal ultrasound was Jan 30. I was supposed to have it on Feb 5 but since I cannot go on leave from work, I decided to have it earlier. My ultrasound revealed only a gestational sac and yolk sac and no embryo yet. If the calculations based from my LMP, I should be 7 wks but the ultrasound states otherwise, I was only 5wks +. She said if no emryo yet,this can be a case of blighted ovum ( grrr!!!) what a way to inspire 1st time moms right ? I disregard her comment and went to do my own researching.

My Obgyne advised me to have a 2nd TVS on Feb 14 to check pregnancy viability. I went last Feb 14 and for the first time Is aw my little baby shaped like a bean ! it was so amazing that 2 weeks ago only yolk sac was found and now a baby embryo is present. My Obgyn told me that though my baby grew and developed and now 7wks and 6 days but she has not found any cardiac activity and made a decision that my case is an early fetal demise at 6 weeks PO and that I have to undergo D&C !!!

I was terrified and shocked ! something inside me tells me that I should go for a 2nd opinion which I did immediately. I relayed my pregnancy concerns to my new Obgyn and advised me to wait for 2 more weeks before deciding to go D&C. She advised me also to take a complete bedrest which can help me relax and be more positive. My 3rd tvs is scheduled on Feb 28 and I am both nervous and excited.

On Feb 28, I will be on my 10week if my basis is my Feb 14 tvs of 7wks and 6 days. It makes me hope for the best since other pregnant women like me saw the heartbeat at 10weeks or 12 weeks.

I'm praying my pregnancy falls on the same case.

Emi
I completely understand your story.  I am on my third pregnancy.  I misscarried my first naturally.  The second was a blighted ovum and I did the D&C.  When I was in emerg  for the first, the doctor told me that another girl was told to get a d&C and she refused it.  9 days later she was able to see the baby.  My second pregnancy, I was told was a blighted ovum.  There was no yolk sac or fetal pole and my counts began to drop.  I was confident in the dr's diagnosis so I had a D&C.  Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake.  I am pregnant again, my third, and I was supposed to be 6 weeks 3 days, and the sac measured 5 weeks 4 days.  A yolk sac was visable but no fetal pole.  My report says that it's probably another blighted ovum.  I am going again July 13 to see if the pole is there.  I am scared but I am keeping my spirits up, and youall should do the same.  I am so glad to rea others have seena pole later.  I am not giving up this time!! All my best to everyone!
hi im 23 yrs old. I have 2 kids already and pregnant with my 3rd. Had my u/s 3/11 which dated me 5 weeks 5days but all they could see was the sac. Is this normal? possibly be to early to see anything else? they are already saying its a fail pregnancy :( any advice
I have a little different situation. I am not sure of my last lmp bc my periods were irregular. I went to the gyno dec 27th originally bc I was concerned bc I was getting my period every other month and then was very late. That's when they found a very small gestational sac but couldn't tell how far along I was. Then went back the next week jan 4th and the sac grew and there was a start of a yolk sac. Went back a week later and had a little larger sac and a full yolk sac. Then I went back today 5 days later and the picture didn't show much growth so they sent me for blood work and my hcg levels are 21,000. But there is no fetal pole or heart beat. They think it's an unhethy pregnancy but wAnt me to come back next week. Is there hope or no?!?

Thanks,
Mallory

Thanks,
Mallory
This site and the questions asked and answers gave are so excellent...and have helped me so much...I am five weeks pregnant and was told yesterday in the ER there is no fetal pole or heartbeat...I broke down...this is my first pregnancy and I'm thirty five years old...you guys have given me hope that I didn't have yesterday...thank you:)
I recently found out i was pregnant. i haven't had a confirmed period of how far along i am, but i went to the hospital with bad cramping and they had found out i had a sac with no fetal pole and my hcg is around 8300 which would mean i'm about 4-5 weeks pregnant and there should be something there. i'm not getting much information and i'm really worried i'm either having a miscarriage or they said my baby just could be developing slow which brings worries to :( any information !?
Thanks everybody who posted her. It was a big relief to read these as
I am having a similar situation. Had my scan last tue and
Same results. Hope everything went good with you guys  
God bless