Maternal & Child Community
Thought I was 7 weeks, but I measured 5 weeks 3 days...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I went in last week for my first appointment and I had an ultrasound.  The US showed I was only 5 weeks 3 days along when I thought I was 7 weeks.  We only saw the gestational sac and no yolk sac.  My hcg levels went from 6587 to 7492 in 48 hours.  I realize the levels usually double during this time.  I am going in again next week for ultrasound to determine if it is a viable pregnancy. I realize the combination of the aboved-describe situations greatly reduces my chances of having a viable pregnancy.   I haven't had any symptoms of a miscarriage.  Has anybody gone through similar circumstances?  If so, what were the outcomes?  Thanks!
Actually once the HCG hits 6000 it takes longer to double.  I had an ultrasound done at 5w2d and I only saw a gest sac, went back 2 weeks later and there was my baby and hb.  I had another one tody and the baby continues to grow and the hb got stronger. Hang in there, I have a feeling everything will work out just fine.
wow I'm going through almost the same thing, except my last period has me at 6w1d and according to the ultrasound the sack is only 5w4d,(does that mean the baby stopped growing then?) and my hcg levels didn't double, even after 3 days. I've been having terrible cramps for 8 days now, but no blood. what is your due date?

I've been all over the web today, some things I've found are encouraging, some not so much. What is your dr. doing next? mine just called me to say I should come in for another ultrasound right away tomorrow.
Thank you both for your responses-they are greatly appreciated!  

Mommyof3mpls, regarding your questions, my next step is ultrasound early next week, which will determine if it is a viable pregnancy.  We should definitely be able to see a yolk sac.  If it is not viable, then (it is my understanding) the yolk sac never developed due to chromosonal abnormalities, which according to some statistics, occurs in 25% of all pregnancies. Regarding my due date, I originally thought it was early October.
Hello there! You know we are on the same boat. I went in last friday for an u/s ang thought that I'm 6w4d but the u/s showed only 5w1d and we only saw a gest sac. My doc didn't say anything negative, just that it may be too early. She wants me to repeat the scan after 2 wks, that is March 9.
Hang in there, don't worry. I used to worry a lot but because I've read lots of similar situations, I am now more relaxed and at peace. Let us just pray and believe that everything will turn out ok.
Good luck on your next u/s.
Hey,
We are all in the same boat. I went in last week when by my LMP I was supposed to be 7 wks and they found nothing but an empty sac so they told me to prepare for the worst. Went in yesterday and the baby showed up measuring that I was only 6 wks 1 day when Im really supposed to be 8 weeks today.. Dont let it scare you, you might just have ovulated off schedule!
Thank you so much for your posting, allstarmom11!  And of course, Congratulations on your good news! I really appreciate hearing positive outcomes during this stressful time.  Thank you!
Bad news ladies... Today I found out that there is no heartbeat and my doctor fully expects me to m/c... Ya'll are in my prayers!
Hey, there...
Let me join the club!  I spotted a little during week 3/4, so I had an early u/s then and blood work done.  The blood tests came back ok, but we couldn't see anything on the u/s except for a little thickening.

So I went back in today for another u/s... and I thought I was 6 weeks on the dot.  The dr. told me it's measuring more like the 5th week.  All we saw was sac and yolk... no fetus.  I though we'd see one by now...

Anyway, I am totally nervous and scared.  The dr. says it is normal... but I just have this feeling that it's not.  I have to go back a week from today for *another* u/s!  Let's keep each other posted... I will be thinking of you ladies!!