Maternal & Child Community
Threatened Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Threatened Miscarriage

Hello - I am hoping you can maybe shed some light on my situation.  Yesterday I experienced some lower abdominal cramping (burning) and found blood when I went to the bathroom.  I had no more bleeding at the ER.  They did an ultrasound that showed a gestational sac of 4mm so they said I was 35-39 days pregnant.  They also did a blood test showing HCG levels at 585 - which seems low.  They classified me as having a threatened miscarriage and I am to go back tomorrow for a follow up blood test.  I had no more red blood yesterday - just some dark brown specs (I took this for results from the pelvic exam and vaginal ultrasound). Last night I had more burning cramps (mosltly on the left and some back) and today I saw a dark red clot then some more brown blood.  Am I right to just assume I am having a miscarriage or is there any other cause for these symptoms as well.  Do people really have bleeding and cramping and go on to have healthy pregnancies?  Its a waiting game now and I guess the blood work tomorrow will tell.  I was just hoping you could shed some light on this for me and others who may be interested.
Thank you!
well implantion bleeding could happen with pregnancy and those are some symptons
I had a threaten miscarriage also which is where the cervix isnt open at the time you get checked out.  so you have a 50/50 chance of miscarring.  Sounds like you did miscarry so sorry to hear that.  Yes a lotta ppl go on to have the cramps and the bleeding and such and have healthy babys after.  Again I am so sorry for your loss.
was there any grey matter in the clot?, when i had my m/c i started bleeding/ cramps, the next day it came out completly, there was grey matter in it, sorry tmi but that was my experience. i'm so sorry you are going through this.
I am so sorry you are going thru this & I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really does not sound good.  I have always heard that "red" blood and cramping were NOT a good sign.  Now do not get me wrong ANYTHING is possible so it really is just a waiting game like you said but in my opinion it just sounds like a m/c to me.  The good news is - Many of us on here have had m/c and have gone on to have many wonderful pregnancies afterward.  I had one in Sept of 03 and I found out during a routine u/s.  I had NO bleeding or cramping or anything.  I thought all was going great and they told me there was no heartbeat.  I did not even know that could happen.  I did get pg again in Dec of 03 and my little boy is 14 months old today.  I hope it works out for you.  Hang in there and try to wait and see what your dr says.  Again I am sorry.  Take Care
I am sorry but your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I had a m/c in aug wich resulted in two visits to the er and a surgery. I started having a red spotting, went to the er, they said looks ok, have a blood test in two days, had the test and the #s were the same. The spotting was brown now. That day i started getting cramps that got worse and worse as the day went on. I was up all night with cramps. The next morning I went to the bathroom and I passed the embryo. My mother in law took me to the er again and my hubby met me there. I went to my dr's office after and she broke the news. I had a D&C a day later. I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you. My dr said to wait until after a period to ttc. I got my period 32 days later. We're ttc again. I am soory to hear about this. Good Luck with everything and keep us posted.
I had bleeding and cramping from 5 weeks untill 11 weeks when they finally gave me extra progesterone  (I was already on 3X daily)  to stop it!  I am not ready to deliver any day!
best of luck
Thank you all for your comments and concern.  I think I have come to terms that I am miscarrying.  I had a miscarriage before my son but didn't have cramps like this.  I am hoping that if I am miscarrying when I go in tomorrow for the test, that it will show my numbers really low.  I guess I have passed the hoping part and sad part and am now ready for the baby to be out of me if it is not going to live.  
I was told to wait a week after my previous miscarriage bleeding ended before having sex.  I remember that the week passed, then my husband got the flew so we couldn't do anything.  But I never ended up with a period.  I actually ended up pregnant (I guess it only takes once or twice) and my son was born.  So I do have proof upstairs that I will recover.  That makes it easier this time around.
Thank you again
I didn't know that I was miscarring, I lost all of my pregnancy systems.
I had no cramping, nothing, I was still had morning sickness, bathroom trips., I went in to find out the sex of my baby and they told me that there is no heartbeat and no fetal movement, it's sometimes hard to predict if u are MC.
I had a m/c at 6-7 weeks back in September.  No signs before hand except some VERY faint stomach cramps. I thought my stomach was upset from something I ate.  The next morning, brown blood started, then it progressed throughout the day.  It took about 2 days for everything to expel, including lots of large clots and bright red blood.  Here it is mid-November and I am pregnant again.  Did  not have a cycle in between and was not trying to get pregnant but did.  I am anywhere from 5-7 weeks pregnant.  My hcg level dropped to 0 within one week of the m/c.  My hcg level started at 3475 then jumped only to 5004 after 3 days.  Doctor said I should have been closer to 12,000.  I have an u/s tomorrow to take a peek, hopefully there will be a fetus there and not just an empty sac.
I hope everything goes good, let me know how everything goes, I am two days late, if I dont have a AF by sunday I am going to take a pg test.
Hi Becca.  I can truly empathise with your worry.  I have three children and have just found out I am pregnant for the 4th time ( around 4 weeks) however, I am experiencing a threatened miscarriage.  Like yourself I'm frightened the miscarriage has already occurred.  I'd advise you not to wait until tomorrow for your blood test result and go back to the ER immediately if you are experiencing sereve cramping and heavy bleeding (bleeding heavier than a normal period).  You need a medical check up a.s.a.p.  so don't wait!!!  
I found out about 2 weeks ago that I was pregnant. but I found out because I was having really bad cramps and I thought I had started my period but my mom said to take a test and it came up positive. I have been bleeding off and on for 3 weeks but continuosly(sp) for 1 1/2 weeks. I've been to the ER twice to get a transvaginal u/s, blood work, and pelvic exam. The u/s showed nothing and the first 2 blood test showed my HCG @ 985 both times. A few days later I went to the midwifery's and they tested my blood a third time and it was @ 1400. I went to the m/w again and they told me that taking more blood to test wasn't going to tell them anything and that I needed another u/a. I had read that if you pass any blood clots or anything odd to collect it and take it to your dr.'s so they can have it tested but when I told the m/w that I had brought the samples she told me to throw them away. I don't understand why they wouldnt send the samples to a lab to test and see if they are tissue as well as to keep testing my HCG level and get an u/s. If anyone knows if this sounds right or odd please let me know. P.S. I should have been about 7 weeks when I went to the ER and that was about a week ago. I have aslo had off and on really bad Cramping and a lot of pressure in that area especialy when I sit down.