Maternal & Child Community
Threatened abortion....HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Threatened abortion....HELP

Hey i am 19 years old and i just found out i was preggo a few days ago the day after i found out i went to the restroom and i say i was bleeding. so i went to the ER and had a pelvic exam, 2 ultrasounds one vaginal, and blood test. they said what i had was a threatened abortion i wanna know if anyone has expirienced this and if they know if a normal pregnancy can still occur.. it has been 3 days and now im just spotting. i just want to know what are the chances of a miscarriage? thanks a lot
hi i went into the er with my first pregnancy at 17 weeks with sever pains had all the tests ect no ultrasound she said she didint no what was up when i looked at the paper work when i got home it said threatened abortion on there for diagnosis well i never misscaried they dunno what there on about half the time i never bleed though just bad pains my dauhter was born last june and i am expecting my second daughter this june good luck do you no if your hcg went down or anything.
they never gave me any information about that im going to the obgyn on tuesday and hopefully they will be able to tell me something.
at the ER they told me that my placenta was not growing connecting fully to the wall but they dont know if that is wat is causing the bleeding but it can be they said that if it grows it can connect but there is always a risk of m/c or a good chance of a normal pregnancy . hope everything goes good i am really scared i have been in bed rest for about 3 days now... im so scared
Check below on a post called "brown spotting and really moody" (not too far down the list of posts) and you will find some discussion of early spotting and danger signs to watch for.  My doc said  spotting and bleeding are pretty common early in pregnancy, and don't mean automatic miscarriage, but any time you bleed, it is technically called a "threatened" m/c in your medical record.  There are no exact chances of how many people with spotting go on to miscarry and how many just have spotting -- sometimes you see the number that 25% to 30% of women bleed early in pregnancy and "at least half" don't miscarry, but you will also hear lots of women's stories of bleeding that didn't turn into miscarriage so it's hard to know how accurate all of this is.  When I had bleeding, they sent me home with instructions to rest in bed, said if a miscarriage was coming that there was nothing I could do to make it stop but that if it was just from some uterine contractions, resting would calm them down. Good luck!
i had a threatened miscarriage at 9weeks and 2 days. i was on bedrest for a week. doctor checked later and things were fine. i ended up losing my baby at 21 weeks due to a variety of things. (i found out i have a genetic clotting issue and other things). my doctor said a lot of women bleed during their pregnancy, but not a lot of people know that.. and you can never tell how it's going to end up. my husband's grandmother had regular bleeding throughout her second pregnancy, and everything went ok. i pray things work out well for you. remember not to lift heavy things and take it easy and listen to your doctor.
hi, i am kinda in the same situation. i went to the doctor at 10 moths and the doctor said i was ok but when i read my paper it said threatened abortion and two weeks later i woke up bleeding, i was scared because this did not happen with my first child so i went to the er and they told me that most likely i would lose my baby i was heartbroken and tears could not stop flowing, then they came back and said i may be able to save the baby if i was to bed rest and pelvic rest, i bleed for two days and no more since i have been on bed rest for three days. the er doctor told me i had to be on total bed rest but when i went to the doctor he said that after three dyas of no sign of bleeding i could resume light activities i am not sure who to listen to but i hope i dont lose my baby
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum. Unfortinately I was diagnosed with tha threatened Abortion for the 3rd time. My first misscarrage was my husband and I first preg. We latter got preg. and had my son, about 16 months later we had my other son. We decided to waite about 2 years before we would plan our third and final child hoping for a girl and within a two year span we had 2 misscarrages. My last miscarrage (miscarriage) was June 3, 2006 just a week ago. I started spotting @11 weeks and really got scared. I went in and they did an ultra sound. I was measuring only 6 weeks and no heartbeat was detected. Now I was starting to wonder if my last period was accurate eventhough I was pretty sure. then a few day went by and the spotting turned brownish and then I started to really bleed more than a normal period. I went in for more blood work and my hcg levels had dropped almost half. The next day I started cramping very badly and bleeding bright red. My husband took me to the ER and there they monitered me and gave me another utrasound and blood work. We were there 6 hours and my cramping got worse. They had to give me Demerol to ease the pain. The doctor did not want to do the D&C due to the fact my body was doing what it was sopose to naturally. We finally went home and I just rested. The next day, I felt a sensation down there, something had dropped out. This totally freaked me out. I don't know what it was yet, I had to save it and take it to the Lab. where they were to test it. Afer this happened my bleeding has subsided and I am feeling like I am getting back to normal. I am now deciding whether or not I want to chance going through this again. It is very disturbing to know you are preg. for 3 months or more and then be let dowm.
Davida, I think I responded to another post of yours, I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage.  I also miscarried at 11 weeks, on 6-3-06, so we have that in common.  I was heartbroken too.  I was so crushed when the spotting turned to bleeding and the cramping got worse, I ended up going in to the Dr. the Wednesday before I miscarried, and I kept thinking, who miscarries at 11 weeks?!  I was about to hit 12 weeks the next day.  I'm still shocked that I could make it almost through the first trimester and then discover that there was something wrong.  I hope that you can find some comfort and enjoy your beautiful children, that's what I have been trying to focus on.  I would love to have another baby, but am really nervous, may wait a little while, best wishes.
well I finally got my answer today....... we had to terminate the whole pregnancy b/c the numbers were not high enough for the gestation period.... maybe better luck next time!
This is my 4th pregnancy.  I had a dtr in 98 then a miscarriage in 99 and then a son in 00.  I found out by accident that I was even pg.  I went to the ER with a kidney infection and was told at that time that I was "parking lot pregnant" lol (meaning I was basically just pregnated)LMP was May 5, 06. This was on June 2, 06.  My husband wanted to have a child between the two of us (he legally adopted my two children from a previous marriage).  To tell him we were finally pregnant after 4 years was the best news ever! and right before father's day too.  Well on the same night I found out I started spotting a small bit and by the next day I had started a full blown period and rushed to the ER, so we were just devastated and I was dishcharged from ER again with threatened m/c (6-3)HCG of 21.6.  I went back on 6-5 and had an hcg and it was 48.7 so we thought we were doing good.  I went back again with severe cramping and brown dishcharge again on 6-14 hcg was 680.8, once again thought we were doing good.  Well this time I was put on strict bed rest and plenty of fluids.  I went back to get HCG again today and it was only 757.2.  Why is my hcg not doubling, they did an u/s on the 14th and said it was not ectopic and that they saw a gestational sac and then said it wasnt a g/sac it was a complex sac of fluid in the same place that the g/sac would be found???????? I am still hurting very bad and the bleeding is only maybe 4 drops per day, never red or bright just always almost black.  I am confused and have been playing the "wait and see" game for a few weeks.  The only signs my hcg level just going up 77 points this last time points to ectopic and im scared to death. (even though they say it's not??) they can't tell me why my hcg is rising but not doubling?? Dr. said to go back AGAIN on tues. and check levels again.  My heart is breaking and getting false hope over and over......... what should I do? Im just ready for a yes or no at this point, my husband and i cant go on like this, a day to day scare.
I had a threatened abortion at 6w3d.  My doctor put me on light activity (no lifting, no long periods on my feet, mostly bed rest with trips to the bathroom and kitchen ok, and no sexual activity).  My hCg level was 47,000 and fetal cardiac activity was detected on ultrasound.  I've been taking the doctor's advice and just resting a lot, and my spotting has stopped completely.  My OB is having me come in every 3 days to check my hCg levels for another week, then hopefully I'll carry on with a normal pregnancy.  Good luck to you, and try to take it easy on yourself if you can!