Maternal & Child Community
Threatened miscarriage at 8 weeks...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Threatened miscarriage at 8 weeks...

I am 8 weeks pregnant.  Friday afternoon I noticed some spotting and immediately called my doctor's office.  They told me to go to the emergency room.  My pelvic exam showed that my cervix was closed.  Blood testing revealed that my hCG levels were in the normal range. A transvaginal u/s was performed.  They found a yolk sac, but no fetal pole or heartbeat.  The ER doctor said that the results of my u/s stated that the embryo measured at 6 1/2 weeks.  They treated me as a threatened miscarriage and sent me home.  I am still spotting, however, I have not passed any clots or fetal tissue at this point.  My LMP was June 29. I am absolutely positive that I should be 8 weeks pregnant.  I am scheduled to see my OB/Gyn in the morning.  To me, these results do not sound promising.  I have read enough to know that a fetal heartbeat should be detected at 8 weeks.  Is there any possibility that the ultrasound could have been wrong or that it may still be too early to detect a heartbeat?  Are there any factors that could interfere with u/s accuracy?  Could the results be different tomorrow if another u/s is performed?  Any help or encouraging words would be appreciated, however, I am preparing myself for worse case scenario....
I wish I could say something that would give you peace of mind, but you'll probably just have to see what your Dr says tomorrow. I have heard that it's often hard to detect a heartbeat that early, though. I'm probably not the best person to respond, since I had a blighted ovum in Feb, and an ectopic last month. But, I had to say something because I know how you feel, and my name is Lisa. I will keep you in my prayers tonight, mommylisa, and I hope all turns out well. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
I am so sorry for this happening to you, the good thing is that you have many friends here that are going thru the same thing ( not knowing what is going on or afraid af what may happen) We are all here for you. Good luck.
Being 8 weeks pregnant and "spotting" is normal.  As a mom of one who had a completely normal and troublefree 1st pregnancy and then an Ectopic pregnancy four yrs later, I can tell you that I was "bleeding" from the time I found out I was pregnant the 2nd time.  It was more than spotting. I knew something was wrong. And also, I did alot of research then and continue to research all over the internet since I am about 6 weeks pregnant now (3yrs after the Ectopic). Although you are 8 weeks, the fetus may very well be only about 6 1/2 to 7 weeks old. I would try to calm down and wait to see your doctor tomorrow. Don't panic just yet, it is not good for you or your baby. Also, if you are still concerned even after the doctor visit, ask them about monitoring your hcg levels. It really helped me this time around. I am still at a very critical stage as well, I have a sonogram sched for tomorrow.  Blood tests show the doctors so much and the results are so fast. Just try to remain sedentary as much as possible today and drink lots of water. I will also be praying for you tonight girl, God bless you.....
my thoughts and prayers are with you.good luck
Thanks for the prayers.  I need all I can get.  I spoke with my OG/Gyn's nurse yesterday and she said that the first thing that would be done tomorrow would be to check my hormone levels again to see if they are still rising.  If they are up from Friday's results, then another ultrasound would be ordered to see if they can find anything new or different.  I am suspecting a blighted ovum, but I also believe in miracles.  It feels good to talk to others who are going through similar ordeals.  Thanks for your responses and I will keep you posted when I find out more.
Well,  I had another ultrasound this morning.  The doctor said I had a perfectly round yolk sac that measured 6 weeks 5 days.  No fetal pole and no heartbeat yet.  It did not appear to concern her due to how early it is.  I am almost positive about my dates and that I should be 8 weeks.  She scheduled me for another another u/s next Wednesday to see if they can see more. She said that another week can make a huge difference and that even though I am positive about my dates, crazy things like these have happened before.   Well see...I guess you could classify my feelings as cautiously optimistic.  Anyone else had similar experiences?  Please share.  I'm still scared to death of what they will find next week.

Thanks again,
I was the same way, but I was 10 weeks pregnant. I had a miscarriage and when I went to the er, they told me that the baby didn't have a heartbeat. They sent me back home, the same day and told me to follow up with my doctor the next day. When I went in they did the u/s and found no heartbeat. They immediately performed a D/C because I was having a miscarriage.
I feel for you and know that I would be going crazy with worry as well. I had a D&C back on July 10-they discovered things weren't going well when I had an ultrasound at approx 6 1/2 weeks and there was a sac but I was only measuring about 4 1/2 weeks. My doctor at the time though thought it could turn out okay as my levels were around 5,000 and she said sometimes things do measure behind. I'll be thinking of you and you should be encouraged that your doctor isn't concerned..although I know that is easier said than done!!
I went through a "missed abortion" twice and both times it was an awful waiting game. The first time I had a D&C at 12 weeks when we learned the embryo had stopped growing at 8 weeks. The second time I started spotting at 6 weeks and the docs kept getting inconclusive U/S results. At 8 weeks (still with a full set of pregnancy symptoms) the embryo looked like 5 weeks with no heartbeat and we finally gave up and did a D&C. But the reason the docs waited to be sure is that every once in a while a pregnancy like that does turn out to be okay. In very rare cases, there could be two fertilized eggs a couple of weeks apart, or some other strange thing. Just breathe and know that whatever happens, happens. I was terribly sad but instead of dwelling on what I had lost, it helped to focus on what I have, and to count my blessings.
I have has 2 miscarriages. The first one is like this: I went to the doctor at 8 weeks preg and got an ultrasound, the doctor could not find a heartbeat, I was sure of my last period, but he said that there was a possibility that I ovulated later than day14 and the baby would then not be big enough yet to show a heartbeat.  My bloodwork and progesterone levels were good. So, I went back 1 week later for another ultrasound at a time we knew the baby would definitely be seen.  We didn't see a baby, so I think I miscarried at 6 weeks. I went home to think about getting a D&C done or waiting for my body to miscarry on its own.  I had a D&C. But, even though you know the dates of your pregnancy there is a chance you don't know the exact date of ovulation. Don't worry yet. I am praying for you.
Hello Everyone..
I have been searching all morning for some support or info on my situation and was beginning to feel more alone than I already felt...I am at 7 wks(the U/S Shows). the Doctors think I should be at around8-1/2 - 9)I have had 3 ultrasounds and 3 series of the usual bloodwork.  I am spotting lightly some days..heavier some other days...they (assorted doctors and nurses) have told me my cervix is closed...baby seems fine although as of last thursday there was no heartbeat..I guess it could be  a little early still...I am just so nervous about all of it...I feel scared.  why am I bleeding still?  I just dont get it..I have two healthy children  although they are 12 and 10 and it has been that long since I have been pregnant.  I have another ultrasound today and am so nervous that I can hardly stand it...I guess I just want to share this experience with someone who is going through it as well.  My fiance is great but lets face it...hes a man and cannot quite grasp this whole concept.  could everything be ok? I mean why is there blood..Im Pregnant...I am not supposed to bleed.
Can i just tell you that my mother was 6mths pregnant with my younger brother and she didn't even know it! She had regular periods and worked out so never put any weight on...therefore didn't notice anything unusual.

Myself, i'm now 4weeks pregnant and have been spotting since the start, sometimes it's pinkish but this morning after i wiped it was a red colour. It can vary colour wise. i don't know why it happens..but it can and does.

Seeing my obgyno next week so i can't really help you, but you're not alone.
i just lost my baby at 9weeks i started bleeding around week 7 when i went to the er my blood level was not normal it was 553 and it was suppose to be over 1500 im so sick now i been bleeding since nov 7th and its nov  19th im still bleeding with back pain its terribe i really wanted the child but i guess i was not the right time the doc said i must of lost it at 8 weeks it was terrible news
I was reading mommylisa and it really is my story. I wonder what was the ending :( I am waiting a couple days for a follow up. I got totally confused with my day of last period they are never stale and now I have spotting for 2 days and ER said the sac is empty however the discharge papers say diagnosis is threatened miscarriage. So I am still hoping... maybe a mistake maybe too early etc. What is considered bleeding and what spotting? I did not need to change pads it was little and no clots. How much bleeding should there be with a miscarriage? Mommalisa please reply what was the outcome!