Maternal & Child Community
Thumbsucking.... bad?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Thumbsucking.... bad?

Well I have to ask, is there any effects from thumbsucking?... I personally I don't agree with it... however Nadezdha does it.  My other two never did this... so... should I let her or should I give her the pacifier?  If I let her suck her thumb will she continue to do it and will it cause teeth problems later in life?  and... WHY does she do it?  LOL  She has a pacifier....
If she's a true thumbsucker, the pacifier will not due.  Especially at this age, it's hard to stop.
Aweeeeee! im sooooo jealous! i have always wanted a thumb sucker!
I would try to pop that paci in her mouth everytime she tries it. It is darling to see them do that, especially so young. But their thumbs are with them for the rest of their lives and are very hard to break from it. At least he paci you can get rid of eventually.
i sucked my thumb until i was 10 yrs old and my teeth are fine.  I also agree with nicki a thumbsucker is so cute :) lol
A thumb is always with them, which has a good side too.  It's self comfort whenever they need comfort.  I come down on the side of thumbsucking being good.
I also sucked my thumb for a long time, my parents tried everything to get me to stop. My teeth are fine.  My DS now sucks his thumb and I couldn't be more pleased about it.  He hated riding in the car until he was about a year old.  Before he started sucking his thumb I would have to stop every 15-30 minutes to pop the paci back in his mouth.  When he started sucking his thumb it was like a gift from god!!!  c:  He only does it when he's tired so it doesn't bother us too much at this point.  Good luck!
My 2.5 year old sucks her thumb.  Heres what we did thouh when she was little.  We gave her a blanky to hold onto.  She doesn't suck her thumb unless she has this blanky now, and we only let her have her blanky at naps and night.  Thumbsucking can cause issues with teeth and bite, but usually that is if the child does it all the time.  It can also cause a seech issue or lak of talking if they do it all the time.
My first child was a pacie girl, and when I saw my second put her thumb in her mouth, it was just so precious.  Too cute.  Although I gotta admit we can't cut her thumb off like we cut the end off the pacie of my first daughter.
See you cut the end off the end of the pacie, and they won't suck on it because there is no sucking method anymore, plus they think it is broke.  That is how we broke my first child of the pacie.
My DD is breastfed..... still at 13 months well 12 months.  She used to use the paci all the time and then just stopped accepting it.  I used to nurse her to sleep and then switch the paci in place of the booby (booey in her language).  Her security blanket is a sock, yes I know, she's strange but she loves her pink size 6-12 month sock you know with the rubber on the bottom.  It's funny.
Anyway my point is, and I do have one is that the paci was never an issue in my head.  I figured I would worry about it when she got older but she stopped on her own.  A cousin of mine has a daughter who is 4 and she still uses a paci and to me it's silly to get pics of her over email with that damn thing sticking out of her face but then again it's not my kid.  If my DD really REALLY wanted a paci at a later age, would I be able to say no?  I don't know so I'm not judging.
The thing with the thumb sucking is up for debate.  Many docs and dentists wil tell you that as long as you stop it before 2 or 3 even that it's perfectly fine.  I thikn that maybe if it goes on that long and you try all the "tricks" to get rid of it and it's still upsetting for the child then give it back.  Some kids at 2 and 3 readily accept the paci is broken theory or we lost it or we gave it to another needy baby thing.  Some don't want to hear anything of the sort.  Some are too smart for their own good to be tricked like that.  LOL  
I was not a thumbsucker.  I sucked my index and middle fingers sometimes until they were raw (I was a very nervous child) and held on to a jacket, a little red jacket and throughout the years that jacket became smaller and smaller.  It literally disintegrated and it became the "jacket piece" and then just a zipper finally.  
My mother never stopped me from sucking my fingers.  In fact, I didn't realize there was anything out of the ordinary about it until I went to a sleep over when I was like 8 or 9 and no one else did it so I learned to hide it, which was stressful, and only did it when I was around family.
Many parents make a bigger deal out of it than necessary if you ask me.  If your child finds comfort in it, let them I say.
By the way, I stopped on my own, thank goodness cause who wants to marry a woman who sucks her fingers LOL and I DID have to get braces but I know lots of kids who didn't.
My DD has 7 teeth and her 2 front ones are HUGE like rabbit teeth and they completely overshadow her other teeth on the top.  It looks like her other teeth are not fully in but they are, it's just her 2 front ones are that much bigger.  Her bottom teeth are perfectly shaped.  I'm assuming she'll probably need braes but who knows.
WHat I'm trying to say ladies and I'm sorry for going off on such a personal tangent and hijacking this thread for my own, is that in the whole scheme of things, is it THAT big of a deal if your child wants to suck their thumb??  I'm sure there will be lots and LOTS of other issues that take precident over this in their childhood, no?
By the way, this is NOT to say I'm belittling the original question at all so please do not think that.
:)
Linda
.        
By the way I LOVE LOVE LOVE your daughter's name.  Does it mean anything?
I think thumbsucking is sweet...my 6 week old does it...soo cute....its a good self calming skill
Max does it too! The ped said that it's a great thing when a baby can self soothe and not to discourage it. Max will also take a binky though. I think thumbsucking is super cute and it is helpful that the thumb's always there...but it sucks because a binky you can pitch and break them. You can't quite cut their thumb off when they get too big! lol
Her name is actually Nadezdha Lilith, which means "Hope" "of Night".  She earned her name because of the complications of the pregnancy and the surgery the poor little girl had to get through during our 12th week.
I never found thumbsucking cute... I guess that's just me.  My cousin sucked her thumb, raw, like another poster said about her fingers.  I took the pacifiers away from my other two by the time they were about 18 months or so... I think (its been awhile), it was kinda just natural.  My DH thinks that its good that Nadezdha sucks her thumb or fingers, my concern was really the later effect in life on her teeth and jaw.  

She loves to nurse herself to sleep, which is much to my dismay in many ways.  She does take the binky, thankfully though.  So I suppose that we'll just have to see how things go.  It isn't the end of the world I suppose if she does suck her thumb, and I certainly want to try to get her to associate thumb sucking with nap/bed time and a blanket... now to adjust to that.
my son is almost 4 months and he is a thumb sucker and does not take a pasifier he refuses it. also will not take bottles i Breast feed him.. if its not one thumb in his mouth its both thumbs in there its the cutest thing. lol
ksanden
Girl, you're getting ready to relocate to Ohio for your new job....you've got a lot more to worry about than thumb sucking! lol BTW where in the state is Harrison Twp? We have a house in Coldwater/Quincy area in way southern MI!

I only think thumbsucking is cute in the real little ones. My niece did it FOREVER and I thought it was disgusting...plus, once they get older their spit starts to stink. Who wants their kid walking around smelling like slobber!? lol
Mine little guy is a thumbsicker.  First son would not take a pacifier or his thumb.  Good now, but really sucked when he was tiny and colicky and could not be comforted.  We tried the pacifier with Cam but he kept spitting it out.  He sucked his thumb right out of the womb.  They had to lay him on his belly and pound his back to help clear his lungs, he layed on his tummy and sucked his thumb, minutes after being born.  He is so cute and really only does it when he's tired or upset.  He also takes a blanket, or pulls his sock on his foot, or holds the neckline of your shirt when he sucks his thumb and comforts himself till he drifts off.  I'll fight the battle when I need to.  I see so many 2 and 3 yr olds with a pacifier.  If Cam sucks his thumb at night for a little while to feel better, I'm fine with it.  At least they can do something to comfort themselves.  My first one could not do that, it was hard.  Let it be and when baby get s a little bigger try to help them find ways to comfort themself.  For now it's fine and cute!
Jess, my in-laws (my brother's wife) live out in Coldwater area.  I live just outside Detroit... okay well Metro Detroit is where I live, it is near Detroit but nothing like the negativity there.  lol
It is cute when they're tiny babies. When they're 16 or 17, like my couisin several years ago-not quite so funny. He was a muscular football player, won state wrestling championship in his senior year of hs. Straight A student in gifted program. Now a chemist. He was made fun of and couldn't stay all night with friends after they found out at night after he fell asleep, he sucked his thumb. They were calloused and raw all of the time. He was so embarassed, and of course wanted to quit. I really think that today at the age of 37, he still does it. I felt so bad for him. Like I said earlier, I pushed the paci.
It's ok, MJ. You can come clean with your ghetto living confession! :) lol j/k I don't know much about Detroit other than my lover Marshall Mathers hailed from there and that anytime I fly into that airport from anywhere, I get in late and lose my luggage! lol Oh and Jeremy and I got totally lost in the middle of the real live ghetto on our way home from the airport! (IF he would have only listened to MY directions...lol)
*palms face* wow... can't believe you Jessica, you are horrible!  

And humph!  I involuntarily moved to this forsaken state, just for the record!
lol Me? Horrible? I think not!