Maternal & Child Community
Tightness in lower abdomen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tightness in lower abdomen

I'm around 9-10 weeks pregnant. Last night I took a Pain Pill, Propoxyphene. I took it for my tooth ache, I've had them lying around for a while. Now I've got tightness in my lower abdomen, when I turn or bend it becomes sore. Is this a bad sign?
I don't know if it's a bad sign or not....but should you have taken a pain pill without consulting your doctor?  I wouldn't pop anything in my mouth unless I knew it was safe.
I am 28wks now.. but I do remember having the same tightness in my lower abdomen around the same time you are... I would come and go and eventually tapered off  a few weeks later.. now it's back again:)-but my dr says all is ok- I'm no expert by any means, but it may just be your tummy stretching and trying to get ready to support your little one.  But like I said.. i'm NO expert, so if you are worried I would call the nurse or dr. Hope this helps:)
This first thing my dr told me when I found out that I was pregnant, is that she doesn't want me taking any medication, not even for headache relief until the end of my first trimester.   This is because the first 3 months of your babies life are considered the most important, and dangerous.  What you put into your body from day 1, has the same effect on you as it does to your baby.  So please, for the health of your child, don't take any pain medication anymore.  Believe me, the pain may be excruciating, but having some rocky  road ice cream to sooth the ache is going to be better than any pain medication.