Maternal & Child Community
Tingling Mouth during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tingling Mouth during pregnancy

Hey Everybody!! :o)

I have a question today. I'm a little over 24 weeks now and both today and yesterday whenever I eat I get a tingling "numb" kind of feeling in my lips, cheeks, and tongue (and sometimes the roof of my mouth) I have no idea what is causing it (at first I thought it was an allergic reaction, but it happens no matter what I eat). I have GD, but my sugars are really good, and at last check at the doctors everything was fine, including my blood pressure.

any ideas on what is causing this. It's really irritating and worries me a little bit... anyone ever experienced this
I have not heard of this in pg but our bodies do go through a lot.  Maybe be baby is on a nerve that may be connected somehow.  I would put a call in to the dr just to be safe.  I do not know what else could cause tingling in those areas.  Good Luck to you let us know what you find out.
I'd run it by your doctor.  Pregnant women can sometimes get Bells Palsy.

http://www.bellspalsy.ws

It can sometimes be heralded by tingling around the lips according to that article.  

I've rarely seen it, though.  The article explains it in pretty much detail.
I know you said it happens regardless of what you ate, but if it happens after eating certain foods (bananas, chestnuts, kiwi fruit, avocado and tomato, figs, apples, celery, melons, potatoes, papayas and pitted fruits, such as cherries and peaches--WHEW-what a list!) you might be having symptoms of a latex allergy.

thanks. i hope that's not it- that is really freaky!!! :o) I'll talk with my doc about it, I just didn't want to bother him with it if it was nothing... :o)
Is it just when u eat?? No other symptoms?
Never heard of it before, Call the doctor any way just to make sure
i bet you just nailed it with the latex allergy- so far everytime it has happened its been when i was eating something that was on the list you gave above.... wow--- i would have never put that together. wonder if its just more sensitive because of the pregnancy. i never had any problem before.

you are so dang smart!!! I'm glad you're on this board. :o) I'll still talk to my doc, but I bet you are right
Run it by your doctor and see what he/she thinks.  Have you had frequent latex exposures in the past?  surgeries?
nope. just 2 surgeries 10 and 11 years ago (c-sections) since then nothing. ... I had this happen a couple of months ago when eating a Cobb salad (had chunks of bleu cheese and avocados in it) but hadn't had it since until yesterday while I was eating nachos (loaded with tomatoes) and then today at work it started happening immediately after I bit into an apple... lasted for about an hour. very very weird feeling, but didn't affect me in any other way- just  tingling numb feeling in my cheeks, lips, tip of my tongue and roof of my mouth...
Bananas are usually the biggest offender.