Maternal & Child Community
Tips on getting rid of the bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tips on getting rid of the bottle

My dd is 20 months old and still drinks milk from a bottle.  She drinks everything else from a cup.  She loves her milk.  I tried different kinds of cups and nothing works.  She screams bloody murder and throws herself on the floor until her face turns blue.  I don't want to deprieve her of her milk.  She enjoys drinking it.  I also tried adding chocolate syrup.
well, let her throw a fit. she'll get tired and then she'll stop. she 20 months so it is doing more harm then good. give her juice that has calcium in it so if she decides she doesnt want milk unless its from a bottle she is still getting the good stuff. i know it is easier said than done but thats the only way you are going to get her to stop. probably wont be fun for a couple of days. has her Dr. never said anything about it before? I am a Peds RN so are Dr.s alwayswill discuss the botttle issue. best of luck!!
It is so hard to get those girls to give it up. My DD gave up bottle at 21mo. but still took one to bed at 26 mo. It was a long trying process. What worked for us was I took her to the store one day & told hershe could pick out any cup she wanted to drink her milk from B/C her BaBa didn't hold enough milk for her now that she was getting bigger. She picked out a waterbottle looking thing with a robber sippy part that looked like a Bottle. I was mad at first, she pulled one over on me but she used it & slowly we moved to a regular cup. My Dr always said don't worry, I've never seen a kid getting on the bus with a bottle in hand. Just try to be paitent! Good luck! Why don't they come with instructions???????
LOL that is funny.

My dr never said anything to me.  My friend did that with her son and took it away but he barely drinks milk and she doesn't have to go to work the next day.  

I did forget to mention that she only drinks them at naps and bedtime.  So we do 3-4 a day sometimes less.

My mother tells me she will do it when she is ready.

UGH!
Don't you love how mothers say that. My Mom would say the same thing! But if it was me, she would take the Bottle away & let me scream. It is funny how Mothers change to grandma!
My daughter gets away with everything and anything at her grandmas house.

I took the bottle away right at 12 months--my little guys were drinking there milk out of a sippy cup.  Have you tried a cup with a straw--that may work for you during the day---I don't usually give my boys milk at night--it has sugars that can damamge teeth if you don't brush afterward.  My youngest is going to be 22 months in a few days and I have not had a problem doing this--they get water at night if he wants to take anything to bed.  Ihope that this forum helps you.
I have the sippy cups that had nipple like tips, shaped like bottles sippy cups, ones with straws.  Nothing.

I mean when she screams she screams.  She turns her face blue and can't breathe right.  I can't make her do that to her that is just cruel.

I have been trying since he started drinking juice out of a cup.  SO like 8 months.
my son will be 3 tomorrow and just gave the bottle up about 2 months ago we tried everything and nothing worked i would just take it away and not give it to him and he would actually not drink anything unless i gave him a bottle he ended up in the hospital a few time for dehydration b/c he wouldn't drink from a cup so his dr said just give him the bottle because they don't want him to get sick and that when he is ready he will give it up and he did all of a sudden he didn't want the bottle and wanted to drink from the sippy cup.
I guess I just got lucky..my DD took herself off the bottle at about 13 months...she just refused to use it one day.
Like everythign else rocking to sleep she just let me know when it was time to be done with it.
She loved and still loves to have cups with straws...she is just now 2 and will use a sippy cup! It was hard to break her of the straw cup but I wanted her to get use to tipping her head back so she could learn to use a regular cup.

I am sure it will be worse for you then her when you decided enough is enough and just take them away...always is worse for the mom...guess it comes with the job!
We took our kids off the bottle when they stopped using formula, however my daughter had a pacifier until she was 3 & 1/2 because it was her "security" (she wasn't attached to a blanket or anything)
I figured what would it hurt.  Big mistake.  Having the pacifier did not damage her baby teeth but it did her permanent teeth.   The same thing can occur with using a bottle for extended period of time.  I know it's very difficult but it is time to talk to her, explain she is too old for the bottle and say in 3 days we have to pack them up and give them away because there are some babies that need to use them.  (that is just an example)  My daughter loved to throw things away so we told her on garbage day she needed to throw them away.  She did with no problem until bedtime, she threw a fit.
We went thru 2 nights of hell and then she was over it. I know it's hard to watch your child be so upset but it really can do alot of damage to their teeth.
My dd was the same way.  Her ped. told me not to worry too much about it.  (She also said the thing about never seeing a child on school bus with a bottle).  I only gave her a bottle at bedtime.  She was fine with a cup during the day, but would only drink water from it.  She hates juice and anything else we all find tasty.  She won't even drink chocolate milk.  What I finally did was told her that once she was 3 she was gonna be a big girl and that we would celebrate that by having a throwing the bottles away party.
She was all too happy to have a party.  She threw those bottles away with gusto.  For two days she said she hated being 3 because she couldn't have her bottle. I distracted her with something else and that was the end of it. She never talked about them again. BUT, she will not drink milk out of a cup unless I put it in her little barbie tuppeware pitcher and let HER pour it in her BARBIE cup.  She's 3 1/2 now, doesn't drink a whole lot of milk, but doc says she's getting the calcium she needs elsewhere =)
This reminds me of the times about 2 months ago when we stopped the pacifiers. My twins were 19 mos at the time. I never realized how much my daughter loved the pacifier until it was gone. She had hissy fits at nap time and bedtime for a month. Giving in would have been easy but we stuck to it and now she's fine.  We wanted them off the pacifiers before their sisters are born in Sept.
Your daughter will keep up the tantrums because it gets her the bottle. After a few tantrums (bad ones it sounds like) she'll get over it and take her milk from a cup. You may have to remove yourself from the situation to help to keep you from giving in but if you really want her off the bottle it's going to be the only way.
I just took the bottle away, and didn't let my daughter see one anymore. It took her about a week to give up and drink her milk from a cup. Don't worry, she won't be nutritionally deprived if she holds out for a week or two. Try to let her get really thirsty, and then offer her the cup of milk. As long as she knows the bottle is available, you'll never be able to break her of it.
Yeah!  I knew I would need the bottles later too, so I didn't actually throw them away.  I had put in a clean trash bag, let dd "throw the bottles away", and when she wasn't looking took the bad out and hid them.  But in dd's mind, they were GONE.
Thanks you too.  Good luck.
Good Luck with taking the bottle away. but i wanted to respond to what you were saying about her screaming and turning herself blue. one of my nephews would do this whenever he had a tantrum - he would literally turn himself blue or purple until he passed out. my sister didn't know what to do - she got so freaked out that he wasn't breathing - she asked the dr. about it and he said that the next time he starts screaming and turning colors to pick him up, put him in his room, and close the door - it was an attention getting thing for him and once he sees noones responding to it he'll stop - this worked. my sister hated doing it and felt terrible, but if she would've continued responding to the behavior he would've continued it b/c he learned it got him what he wanted. this is definitely easier said than done.
Just keep in mind when she is upset that it is not based on need- she wants the bottle and knows you will cave.  The longer a habit is a part of your life, the more difficult it will be to end it.

You may want to try to do away with one bottle a day per week ifyou think taking them all away together would be too traumatic.

I have a friend that told her daughter the bottle fairy picked them up the night before to take to babies and it was a good enough reason for her.

good luck!
I was so lucky, my son decided he was done at 11 months, he loved the sippy cup, and got tired of that fast too, he'll be 3 in a little over a month and he drinks from a regular cup, we use sports cups too sometimes, maybe try something like that.  I think they decide when they are done, but there are so many cool things out there, I'm sure you can find something.  I would try to get her away from the bottle soon though so she doesn't give it up right when the new baby arrives, or she may resent the baby and think that she had to stop just because she's not the baby anymoree.  Just a thought.  Also, there was a little one at daycare that would hold his breath till he turned blue and would pass out.  Their Dr. told the parents it was his way of controlling the situation and to just let it happen, once they pass out they begin to breathe again.  Sounded awful to me, but true.  Hopefully you don't have to go through that, but it will pass soon, and then on to even more fun stuff like potty training...it never stops!
Thanks everyone I think what I am going to do is let her have them and just talk to her about it and when it is a month before her 2nd birthday.  Put them away.

The next baby will need the, so I can't throw them out.

So she has until October.

my dd is 28 months and she WILL not give her bottle up at bed time what do i do
Put only water in it. Put the juice and milk in a sippy cup. Best wishes.
my dd is 28 months and she WILL not give her bottle up at bed time what do i do at midnightr also he asks for milk in bottle worried