Maternal & Child Community
Tips on how to get my 6 mos. DD to sleep through the night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So my DD is 6 mos. old today and she still don't sleep through the night. This is very frustrating to me because my other kids were sleeping through the night at 2 mos. does anybody have any ideas on how I can get her to sleep through the night? She does eat about 8 ounces of cereal about an hour before I lay her down. Any advice would be greatly appreciatted.
Tiffany
My DD didn't sleep through the night until she was a year, and my poor sister's didn't sleep until she was almost 2.  She tried everything and nothing worked.  She even let her daughter cry for quite a long time (up to an hour or more)and it still didn't work.  My first suggestion would be to be sure you aren't rushing in as soon as she starts crying and be sure to let her cry it out.  Sometimes nothing you try will work and you just have to accept the fact that every baby is different and this one just may be a bad sleeper.  Does she eat in the middle of the night or is she just waking up and want comfort from you?
Well I sure have tried to let her cry it out and that doesn't seem to work. Yes, she always seems like she is starving when she wkes u and she takes about a 6 ounce bottle.
Tiffany
I hope I won't scare you, but my DD did not sleep through the night until she was about 4years. She would wake up once a night and either call for us or go straihgt to our bedroom. We also had to stay with her until she felt a sleep. There is no easy answer, since I too tried the letting her cry herself out, did nnot work. Night light - did not work....I just think that girls have more trouoble with it then boys, but never had one, so should not speek.
Hey girl!  I wish I could help you as Ds was sleeping through the nite at 3 months!  I would have suggested you give her cereal but if you are already doing that then I really dont know what else to tell you.  I think its probably just something she is going to have to outgrow.  Sometimes babies dont sleep all nite for a year or more.  Sorry to say.  I hope you get her to sleep pretty soon.  I know how frusterating that can be.  I feel for ya hon!
Hey girl,
How are you feeling today? i still have all the symptoms, I just wish I could test sooner. Anyway, yeah we have been doing cereal for awhil and it doesn't seem to work. It's horrible I am always so tired. Some nights are better than others though. My other 3 was sleeping through the night so much sooner than her.
Tiffany
Wow 4 years old that is scary. My son is 4 and still wakes up sometimes but we tell him to go back to sleep and he does. He was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks and shortly before my first miscarriage he has been getting up at night, that was 2 years ago, but most nights he sleeps all night. I have tried to let her cry it out but yeah that don't work. thanks for your help though, I do appreciate it.
Tiffany
my daughter slept thru the night from the very beginning.
My son didn't sleep thru the night until he was 4.  Does she have a special blanket or pacifier?   That can offer comfort to some children but it may still take awhile before she can comfort herself to sleep.
Yea, its weird how all babies are different.  They do their won thing at their own time.  I wish I could help you out more with this but I am just at a loss here.  I did have a paper that told you what to do to get them to sleep but I dont know where it went.  There were some good suggestions on it.  I will have to look around and see if I can find something.  Did you try to google it?  Not sure if this would help or not.  Do you work or are you a stay at home mommy??  I know you cant really nap when she does cause you have other kids.  I hope she starts sleeping all nite for you soon!  I feel for ya!!
Why is she waking up at night?  My first son use to wake up at night because he was hungrary.  Granted he was 9.91/2 lbs when he was born and ate a lot in the first place.  I use to put some cereal in the bottle before bed and he started sleaping through the night.
Hey that was a good idea posting it above so others could read it too. I would have to ever tell my kids, when they are that young, that thier father passed away, especially to foolishness such at that. You know? I hope that me and my DH live to see our gradnkids and thier kids and I that my kids take care of each other and when they are old enough to be ok.
Tiffany
She wakes up because she is hungry. She weighed 8lbs 6.3 oz. at birth and she was 2 weeks early. However my son weighed 10lbs 5 oz at birth and was sleeping hrough the night alot sooner. I do giver her cereal but she still wakes up to eat. I don't know what do do anymore I have tried everything so I guess I will just take the wait and see approach.
Tiffany
yea that was my email address.  I sent it to you the first time from my work email.  I use both, my work and my yahoo!  I can send it to more people if I use my work.  I know I cried like a baby when I read it and it gave me chills!  See why I said you may want to grab a Kleenex!!  Makes you realize you odnt have life as bad as what you think ya know??  I feel so bad for all those people!!  Yea kids are different.  I am curious to see how this one is compared to DS.  He was so calm and quiet as a newborn.  This one will probably cry all the time (good go I hope not)!!  LOL!!
When you say she's waking up in the middle of the night, I'm just curious, how many hours is she out for a time?  I have a friend that would put her daughter down at 8 pm and she would sleep till 4 am, and she was upset that her baby wouldn't sleep through the night, when she actually was doing well, 8 hrs. is pretty good.  My son was a big baby too and he would wake up starving, it took a few months, but maybe your little one is going through a growth spurt, or napping too late in the day?
Well she normally goes to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 and she never use to wake up till about 4:00, which I realize is pretty good, but heere lately she will only sleep for about 5 hours straight. I usely don'e let her take a nap past 4:00 pm.
Tiffany
I am sure your baby will do good, I just hope you didn't jinx yourself...lol. Yeah I made sure i sent that email to more people you know to open thier eyes. You know I lost my dad when I was 20 years old and that was rough but to loose a parent at that young of an age, I couldn't imagine. I feel for all the kids and wives, actually all the family members who lost someone on that day. MY brother is in the Marines and so is his wife, they haven't had to go over seas yet and we sure hope they never have to but they are ready if they are needed. My DH has a cousin who has been over there 6 times. crazy huh. Makes you appreciatte the small things in life. I get pictures of soldiers over there sleeping in holes in the ground and alonside the road and all kinds of other stuff.
Tiffany
I know this whole thing just sickens me.  To think my kids have to grow up in a society that has to worry about things like that.  People hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings.  Who would have ever thought that would happen.  Never thought I would see something like that in MY lifetime!!  Its just terrible!!  I coudnt imagine having to explain to my kids what happened to their mother or father.  Its horrible.

I posted it above so everyone could read it.  I wasnt sure if anyone was curious about what we were talking about.
hey,
You know I never realized that babies can be so different from each other, I know how silly that sounds, but my first three was exaclty the same when they were babies. she has been so difficult but I love her anyway. Yeah I am a stay at home mom which I absolutly love so its hard to nap when she does. Not to mention for the past few days I have been exhausted so that doesn't help. I felt like my body was use to her getting up at night and now when I feed her at night I fall asleep which I never use to do. The older 2 start school on Monday and my DS starts preschool on Sept. 5 so when that happens then I will lay down when she does. I just feelso horrible because before when she woke up at night I would feed her and I would be so alert but now I fall asleep while I am feeding her. I also wanted to tell you I got your email and I almost cried, it was beautiful. I sent it back I just hope I sent it to the right email address.
Tiffany
Maybe she's just growing, I think my son dod the same thing.  It's hard when you ar so tired, jsut hope it's gets better for you soon.
i have a 14 month old son and was wanting to know of any tips to get him to sleep all night.  I put him to bed between 830 and 900 and is awake at 1230 and again around 430 or 500 and every time he wakes up he drinks 8 ounces or more of whole milk.  He then goes back to sleep, but i want him to sleep all night. any suggestions on how to get to sllep all night?