Maternal & Child Community
Tips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tips

I would like to conceive but i am having trouble i have been married for 5 years now and my husband has 2 kids with a ex so i would like to know what i can do to help in conceiving

This discussion is related to How long does sperm live outside the body?.
I saw a cartoon once where a doctor is interviewing a couple and he says, "So, I see you are having trouble conceiving.  Have you tried sex?"  It's hard to tell where to begin when you don't say what you have tried so far.

Here are some factors that would have a bearing on the ability to conceive.  

Woman's age
Woman's health issues (PCOS, diabetes, obesity, irregular cycles)
Man's sperm count (this can change if he gets a varicocele, so even having children previously is not a guarantee)
How long the couple has been 'trying'
How the couple times their unprotected sex during the fertile window
How carefully the woman charts her cycle, how aware she is of her fertile times
Whether or not the couple is using ovulation test kits
Whether the couple has seen a doctor, what they have done up to now with clomid, IUI, etc.

I'm sure there are other things too.  Write back with where you are in the process, and I'm sure some of the ladies can give you advice.  

Hi well we have been having unprotected sex for 5 years and i would of thought i would have conceived by now but it has not happened..I have not tried anything yet...I dont really have regular cycles i have been having a cycle now for every month but it dont last long and sometimes it does so it is not regular...I hope there is hope out there for me cause me and my husband would really like to start a family sence i am almost 30 and he is 30...PLEASE HELP!!!!
OK, then here are my ideas.  If you have been having unprotected sex for 5 years, go see a fertility doctor.  Start with your ob-gyn, and ask for a recommendation, and go see the doc he or she recommends.  He or she will do a workup on you and your husband.  (As I said already, it really doesn't matter if he has had kids before, he could have gotten a varicocele in the meantime, which is like a varicose vein in the scrotum, that warms the sperm to the point where it is not viable.  So he needs to be checked too.)  Have a workup to see what your hormones are doing, and learn to chart your cycles and to use ovulation test kits at the appropriate time so you know when you are ovulating.  Get advice from the doctor about when you should be having sex in relation to ovulation.  You can read the Internet too, there are plenty of fertility-related websites.