Maternal & Child Community
To many tums...BAD?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

To many tums...BAD?????

O.k I am 6 wks already,YAYYYYYY!!!! Anyways these past to days have been awful! I cant eat & when I do I get nausea. I feel so sick my only remedy is TUMS.Well how many tums are to many.I can eat 2 an hour.When I wake up & when I sleep.In between meals & after.I dont go to DR. till the 28th.But I feel so sick now.Are tums safe or should I cut down.Is there any other thing I could take? I also get very bloated & heartburn.MAN......this preg. is not going to be easy.But I'm going to love every minute.With a little help to help with my symptoms.Thanks...& Happy Holidays..nanis
Hey, girl.  I only take two a day because 2 equals about 750mg of calcium and 200mg of calcium are in the prenatal...and we only require like 1000mg a day of calcium...so I just thought you were only supposed to take 2???  Who knows!
they're safe but i wouldnt take too many... i think the bottle i have says no more than 6 per day.
go to the pharmacy and pick up Pepcid AC - this is safe during pregnancy and should give you extended relief.

Definitely do not take that many. Read  the bottle to find out exactly what the max amount recommended (it varies brand to brand, dosage to dosage).

Andi
Too many antacids can lead to anemia. The calcium carbonate can interfere with iron absorption. My dr told me to take Zantac, but I was taking Tums for heartburn, not nausea. Peppermint tea is supposed to help with nausea. Hope you feel better.
When I was pregnant with my DS the Dr. told me to take them for the calcium (Tums E.X (Extra Strength) and the have 600mg. of calcium in 2 tablets... I wouldn't take more then four a day.. I know your taking them for other reasons... I would just try to take it easy till you go to the dr.s on the 28th.. If you are still very nausous try saltine crackers or something... Well hang in there before you know it you'll be heading into your second trimester :) Good Luck!
LuvBeingAMommy22
I think you can get those candies at Motherhood Maternity also.  I've heard that they work. But i didn't try them myself.
i had horrendous nausea till at least 18 wks, now its just a few hrs a day. antacids didnt really help with it, nothing did... except keeping a couple saltines or something in my stomach all day long. it WILL pass... eventually...
towards the end of my pregnancy, i would take tums every day before i go to sleep because of heart burn, but you should the read the bottle and see how many you could take,i think i took at about six to eight tums ...
I also went to babies r us and found some nausea candies made specifically for morning sickness. I don't have it yet...I am 5 wks 3 days. But I expect it soon!! Good luck and happy holidays!!
My former ob-gyn told me that TUMS is so wonderful since it has so much calcium. She recommended that I take two tablets up to 3x per day. Well - I am 9 months pregnant now and due to all the TUMS I took I now have calcifications (calcium deposits) in my placenta. I now have to go to the hospital every week for fetal non stress tests. The advice I received from my doula was to try papaya extract for heartburn which has worked well. Also - chewing gum has worked for me.