Maternal & Child Community
To use a pacifier or not to use a pacifier? / OPEN FORUM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Please use as an open forum as well.

I had no intention of using a pacifier for our baby if I could avoid it.  I never used one, nor did my brother.  It's not that I think there is anything wrong with it, it's just not how I was raised so, I didnt intend on using one for my little girl because i didnt want it to be a habit I had to break later on.
But in this weeks Sunday paper, there was an article about Pacifiers possibly preventing SIDS.  After reading the article, I kinda feel like I'm forced to give her one now.  IT's a personal choice, just like me not wanting to pierce her ears until she's old enough to decided for herself.  I would love to hear what other Mom's had to say about this.  Thanks
none of my 3 children would take a pacifier.  I tried all different kinds and none of them suited my babies.  I wanted them to take one, because my first two babies were 10lbers and constantly looking to suck on something, and because I was breastfeeding, it was a boob or a pacifier, and sometimes, I just wanted that break.  They would both nurse for 20minutes on each boob every 2-3 hours.  It was painful...literally!  They used my nipple as a pacifier.  IT was the only thing that would soothe them.  My dd would NOT take a pacifier, but, she REALLY LIKES TO SUCK, so I let her suck her hands, even though I would rather break her of a pacifier than a finger any day!  I just can't get her to take a pacifier.  Good luck to you!
I tried with both my girls from the day they were born and neither of them were interested. I tried for months to get them to take one to no avail. Good luck.
I am having the same problem.  I didn't give DD one because of having to break her later, but yesterday a baby in the community I live in died of SIDS at 8 months.  I have read alot on this the past 2 days and I have also seen where it is recomended to give babies a pacifier.  But at the same time I hear bad things about them too, like they can make your teeth stick out and a very hard habit to break.  I have also read that there is a crib mattress cover that also prevents SIDS.  Some dr.'s believe that there is a chemical in mattresses that causes SIDS so you need this mattress cover that makes it so those chemicals can not get to the baby, but the only place I see is to order it from one of the sites that show these studies and I am not sure if they are secure sites to order from or not.  Dose anyone have one of these?
With our 1st child she always wanted to suck so we did give her a pacifier.  With our 2nd he wanted nothing to do with it.  Our daughter had a pacifier way longer than she should (she was 4) have because she was very dependant on it.  She did have some damage to her permanent teeth that was corrected by using a retainer.
There is no right or wrong. I'd just go by what your baby wants/needs.
offer it and see what happens. we've offered pacifiers to all 3 kids and none of them really liked it, but sucked on them only occasionally. yep it can cause dental problems but our oldest has had an overbite the size of Texas since she got her first tooth, so i dont think the pacifier could have made things any worse. i sucked my thumb till some embarrassing age and did end up with braces later.
I have also heard of the pacifier preventing SIDS. If it is true then I say go for it! All three of mine took their binki's as we called them. I was lucky and had no problem breaking them of it, as a matter of fact each one of them just gave it up on their own at about 6 months old! But I would rather have a 4 year old with a bad habit and an overbite than a death by SIDS. So if it's a SIDS preventative then by all means I would personally recommend it to everyone!!
Both my kids loved their soothers (as we call them here).  They have no dental problems.  It kept the nonnutrative sucking to a minumum.  No tall babies like them.  No worries either way.

P.S.  Our kids gave them up at about 3, no problem.  And they only had them at night, never in the daytime.
I used a pacifier for my oldest--he was addicted to it--he is now four and so far does not have a problem with his teeth.  We took the pacifier away when he turned three for by that time he was only using it at night and nap time--no hardships for we let him know far in advance on the day that it would be gone.  My 2nd did not take a pacifier--so go figure he soothed himself a lot more--different kids equal different strokes.  Breaking the habit at least for myself was no worse than taking away the bottle at one year.
Both my children used pacifiers and I would use one again if I have another child.  My children, especially my DD was very attached to her pacifier.  She used it longer than she probably should have...she was three when we took it away.  It was difficult to hear her cry and "mourn" for her pacifier, but that only lasted about 3 days and then it was a thing of the past.  She also has no damage to her teeth.  My son, one year old, still uses his pacifier.  I think it is a personal decision to use one or not, but if there is something out there that may lower the risk of SIDS that is not harmful to your baby's health, then why not give it a try? If your baby doesn't want it, then the decision has been made for you!
Shane is right - if you go on concomer reports website it will say that it has be linked to prevent SIDS.  It is very intresting to to read.
Out of 5 kids, 3 of them used Binky's and 1 sucked his fingers, here are the stats:  
NO DENTAL PROBLEMS (no overbites)

NO 3-10 year olds still using them

NO MELTDOWNS AT NIGHT (mom included) (well for the most part)

All 5 of my kids seem to be well adjusted, able to sleep at night, occasional bad dream, but not usually (but I chalk that up to the fact that their TV watching is very limited and we dont have outside service)
I have read that infants need things to soothe them, and for most or many of them, that means non-nutritive sucking.  (The other child of mine just didnt need anything, and would not take a binky, but nursed alot more, so maybe he was using me as a pacifier)

I think you can just do the best you can, but that means being flexible on some things.  I layed all my babies on their back to sleep and 3 out of the 5 would roll to their stomach once they could.  I rolled them back to their back, but to no avail.  Just have peace with your decision, but sensitive to your childs needs.