Maternal & Child Community
To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

My DD is 8 weeks old and we go next week for her 2 month check up. My question is do I have to get her vaccinated? I am scared to death because I keep hearing so many things about vaccines. She seems to little to inject all that stuff in her little body. Has anyone not had their baby vaccinated? any advice would be great. thanks
My sister and I both held off on vaccinations... We pushed them off by 6 months (still getting them done - just 6 months later than the "recommended" time)...
Oh yeah, and Dr said that was fine.
There is a vaccination forum on this web site, you will get plenty of debate over there. I am pro-vaccination, but you certainly can work on a delayed schedule if that makes you more comfortable.
i agree with andi, i got both my babies vaccinated as soon as their shots were due, with the return of so many childhood ilnesses because people are either holding off or delaying vaccinations i just think you can't be too careful. these vaccines are carefully tested and at a limit safe enough for a baby to cope with.

good luck whatever you decide!
I believe in vaccinating.  My nephew is allergic to the pertussis and whooping cough vaccine so he is dependant on other people getting the vaccine so he won't be exposed to it.   This is very controversial but I believe over all it is best to do the vaccines on schedule.     I know one poster for sure that doesn't vaccinate her kids but I've talked to her privately and she has valid reasons due to complications in her family history.   For most people the benefits far outweigh the risks.
I also belive in vaccinating.  In the state of VA it is the law to vaccinate.  Children can not go to school without proof of vaccination.  Mine son did fine.  I was scared to.  The chances are slim for something to happen.
you can go to school anywhere in the United states without proof of vaccination.  You sign a medical or religious waiver.  most children do fine.. some dont. mine died after getting his 9 week shots.  although slim for something to happen.. it does sometimes.  no two children are alike.  i believe that parents should wait until a childs immune system  is better able to cope.  
A pediatric nurse who is a friend of mine told me a 3-week-old baby died of pertussis at Emmanuel Hospital in Portland last month, it was so sad!  I asked if pertussis wasn't more of a winter disease, and she just said, "It's out there."  It's out there because people who aren't vaccinated against it get it, and a 3-week-old can't be vaccinated, so there was no safety for him or his family.  What a sad story.  
At my daughter's school the children that were not allowed to go to class.   There are states that do require the vaccinations.  http://www.rutherford.org/Resources/Briefs/B18-RE_1.PDF

I am sure mozart that one can get around it some how.  I am sorry about you loss.  I think it should be a parents choice.

I made a mistake and Mozart is right
Do you believe vaccination?
Oh, yes.  While there are always rare exceptions to every medical good, vaccination is definitely the reason we don't still see polio, and people dying of tetanus, and major epidemics of other diseases.  The only thing I did differently was to delay my son's third set of shots by two months, because he had a negative reaction the second time.  (His first shots, at only 2 months, he just rip-roared right through.)  
I have made sure that all 3 of my kids are vaccinated, who are now 4 yo, 2 yo, and almost 5 months. I believe it's the simplist prevention there is. However, out of all the shots that I've seen my kids go thru I've only had trouble with my almost 5 month old getting his 4 month shots. He developed a fever that with tylenol was a little bit over 101 for 2 days. I know a fever's normal, but that whole entire week he was unconsolably crying. I couldn't put him down and he'd scream hysterically with DH. I'm bringiing this up to his dr next month as ever since the shots the baby's having major separation issues from me. I've missed much work b/c of it. He'll scream for 3-4 hours until I come home from work and he's fine with me. Like I said I firmly believe in vaxes up until lately. I also out of desperation did a search and talked to many people about my "problem" and found out there's much debate (horror stories) about the one vax MMR. That seriously has me wondering if I want him to have his next MMR shot or not.

There are ways around getting the shots. My dr always asks with each of my kids how they handled their last shots and if there were serious side effects, then you just need to sign a waiver.
I think you can get the MMR as separate shots.  
yes, I'm aware of that and something I"m seriously considering. I have to talk to his dr about all of this next month. I'm mainly thinking right now to just delay his MMR shot till after he has his other ones to see if that's what it is that's causing his irritablility, if you call it that. It just seems like so many shots for such a small lil' person....
if your son cried for 3 or more hours...it may have been from DTaP shot..cdc website says not to get another dose or hold off

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/should-not-vacc.htm
im not totally against all shots... but.. i believe there are those who should NOT ever.. get certain shots... due to my coming up externship. i have to show my future employer.. that i cannot have them.. i had to send away to my old school... to get my records... to my amazement.. there were medical records that i had never seen before.. ones that stated it is believed i will have a severe reaction to the MMR.. or the DPT  becauase when i was given my first set.. i became very ill.. and thus my diagnosis of aspergers syndrome later on......  .. there were like 4 letters from doctors inthere.. that is why i never had to  have them.. if i had only know this.. i would have NEVER gotten my children there shots... and maybe Richard would be here today... i would have waited.. until his immune system was stronger.. or maybe not even allowed him to get them at all.. upon further investigation.. i spoke with my grandmother.. and her first born son  died after getting his shots... we now believe it is a family thing.. so... like i said before... its just not for some people.. and.. you CAN get around not getting shots.. and thats a way to do it.. you can also cite religious reasons... its against the law for any public institution to deny a child its right as an american citizen the right to recieve an education...
anyway.. most of the time...... .. i am against most. and am very wary about them by far and large.   the most dangerous.. in my opinion. is the MMR..

i mean really.. when you give a child shots.. and they scream and cry for hours and hours.. and are sick.. what do you think thats doing to that child?? does a television celebrity have to go on the tube before we all realize its not one size fits all?? just like she said.. i think we all just need to think about it.. and take everything into consideration.. and go from there..

baby dust and all that stuff!..
thanks for that website. I just told my DH about it and I WILL be bringing it up to our next dr's appt. Such a coincidence that all this has occurred after him getting his shots. When I came home tonight after work he said the baby didn't cry at all...first time in 2 weeks. The other 2 older kids played with him and kept him laughing till he fell asleep.

Mozartcowgirl....I can't imagine what you've been through. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Thanks for everyones advice. I think DD will not be vaccinated or we will hold off till she is older.  thanks for the websites they have been very informative.