Maternal & Child Community
Too much Folic Acid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Too much Folic Acid?

I am 5 weeks pregnant and my GYN told me to take 5 MG a day of folic acid for the next two months (4 pills of 1MG each plus the 1MG in the prenatal vitamins), isn
   I belive everyone is different and if your doc put you on that then that is what your body needs my doc had to put me on more Iron because I'm Anemic I guess that is right but anyways if you are still worried about ask your doc and tell him or her about the megnesium you are takeing also so you want have to worry well good luck...
I am not sure about the folic acid--you NEED at least 0.8mg per day in pregnancy, but 1mg is recommended.  I would call and ask why you are being told to take so much.

And while you're at it, ask the doc about the magnesium.  We give it late in pregnancy to prevent preterm labor, but I don't know its effects on a developing embryo.
I am taking 2mg of folic acid (.8mg in my prenatal vitamin and 1.2mg addt'l) per my father...an OBGYN/Reproductive Endocrinologist.  5mg sounds like a lot, but I think opinions vary among doctors.  Some, like my father and apparently your doctor as well, believe in it's importance and taking additional.  Did he say why he wanted you to take that amount?
Found this link for you.  Looks like there's not a concern in taking that amount unless you have a B-12 deficiency.  Otherwise, the excess should flush out of your system.

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/preconception/preconnutrition/2232.html

You can almost never have too much folic acid, so what you have been told to take is fine. As for the magnesium, I am on 500mg daily for migraine prevention and was actually told to do so by my neurologist. She suggested this over any other treatment as it is totally safe during pregnancy. So as long as your OB knows, you should be fine.

Andrea
Thanks for the clarification, and the info. Much appreciated.

Chrisy
Just a noted observation: I have been brwosing the posts and noticed where Christy have been giving info from a mediacl point of view and I wondered if she was a Dr. But on reading the latest open forum, I now realized that she is Nurse.

I just really want to commend you Christy for the medical advices that you have been giving on the Forum. Well don!!!  I also want to take this opportunity to commend all the ladies who use this Forum, even without medical knowledge, but just for support. This is just to let you know that YOUR imput is valued.

Also a ? for Christy: I have been diag. as having a abnormal pg
(check post 2/10) I was told to take Folic Acids, can I still take them, even with whats going on?

Thanks a lot
Chrisy
First, thanks, but as you said, I am not a doctor, I am a nurse, and I don't give out medical advice.  I, like everyone else here, comment on things I may have some knowledge of.

I said I wasn't sure about the folic acid.  You MUST have at least 0.8 mg per day when preg, most PNV have at least 1 mg.  If you need more, your doc will tell you, but as the others have pointed out, it really can't hurt.  If you have a normal diet, you will also get some from dietary sources.  

Medical advice is telling people they need this medication, or that medical test or procedure. I just try to give out common sense advice.  I am a labor and delivery nurse, so that is what I know the most about.  

I read once that the increase in folic acid will not affect you, since it flush out your system.
I hope everything will be fine for you.
Thanks everyone for your help. Just to let you know I have asked the GYN about taking so much folic acid and she said that it's never too much. For the Magnesium she said it's not just  OK during pregnency it's even good. Your comments were very helpful because a doctor sometimes can mistake and hearing the opinion of other people is always a good thing to do.
Read an article about taking 5mg folic acid in prevention of Downs, important to take well before conception. I am 42 yrs. old and am a bit concerned abt. conceiving . I have two small boys and would love another try for one more. Lost one last year and I am trying to get my body prepared. Doing what I can to be fit, healthy, and happy.
Funny, my doctor says taking a Flintstone vitamin is just fine. I believe that these lack for prep or those who are pregnant. There is something to be said about the 5mg, I think. Something to investigate.