Toothache during pregnancy
Hi all its been awhile since I posted.  I am 32 weeks pregnant with my 1st child and sadly I have a terrible toothache which I am going to get dealt with in a bit.  I tried Orajel, cold water, warm water, compresses - you name it and nothing helped, some things made it alot worse.  This morning it was so bad that I ended up searching online for home remedies out of desperation and found several articles about BAKING SODA.  Yes Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.  I was so desperate I tried it.  I mixed 2 teaspoons of it in half a glass of warm water and stirred til the powder dissolved.  I rinsed my mouth out several times using the contents of the glass.  It has a tingling/burning sensation, nothing painful.  Then I took a Q-tip and wet the tip and made a paste with the soda and put it directly on the tooth making sure I got it in between the teeth.  And the pain was gone nearly instantly.  I dont know if you all have experienced really severe toothaches but I havent slept or eaten in 2 days.  I didnt know if I would make it another day.  I could not believe the results!!  After about a minute I rinsed my mouth with warm water becuz I didnt want to swallow the paste.  But ladies trust me when I say - if you have a toothache use BAKING SODA!!!!!!  I wish I had searched for this earlier.  God Bless!
I feel your pain.  At 6-7 week of my pregnancy I had the most awful toothache.  The pain went into my ear and down the side of my jaw.  I didn't sleep for about 2 weeks. I missed a lot of work due to the pain.  It was so bad that I was freezing SlimFast cans and trying to sleep with them on the side of my jaw line.  I finally went to the dentist and one gave me penicillin which didn't work and the other dentist gave me vicidon and Amoxiclin (my spelling it off) which they did work.  I had an infection and due to a serious root canal that I needed done.  My doctor said it was okay to have it done but since this is my first pregnancy I decided to deal with the pain.  I took all the meds and after that it just suddenlly went away.   I am now 30wks and just soon after my little boy is born I am going back to the dentist and I hate the dentist also but after having the pain I've had with my tooth I'd do anything.  I was like you I also looked on the net for home remedies.  I used warm salt water and melted wax to cover the tooth so no air could get through and one I used to use was clove oil.  That was a yukky taste.  I would tell my husband just hit me to get the pain over with that's how bad mine was but luckly I got to the dentist first because if he had to hear me cry one more day with my tooth than he'd probably would have.(LOL)  Hope everything turns out okay for you.  Take care
I had 3 of my wisdom teeth grow in on my first pregnancy, that was very painful
I am now 15 weeks pregnant with my second child and just over a week ago started with toothache.  With my first child 10 years ago, I had terrible toothache about this time for a solid week and ended up having my first tooth taken out.  I went to the dentist over a week ago and he couldn't find anything wrong with the tooth.  He said my teeth have become a little sensitive, so he cover it with a special coating and the pain went away.  Now the tooth next to it has starting hurting and the one opposite, so I have two teeth hurting, top and bottom.  I have been taking paracelamol but I'm growing concerned of how much I'm taking.  Obviously, I try to put up with the pain for as long as possible before taking anything.  If it really works... BAKING SODA then I think I will give that a try.  Thanks
please if you have a toothache there is a reason for it.  there is something going on and if its infection (if the pain is that bad id bet on it) you have to be seen by a dentist and get it taken care of now.  studies show infection in the mouth can lead to problems in pregnancy like preterm labor.  i worked in the dental field for years, you can safely have dental treatment while you are pg if your ob agrees.  
Tried the baking soda and it didn't work for me!  I'm taking a trip to the dentist today and I'm hoping he can deal with these 2 teeth without taking them out.  I had toothache during my first pregnancy and I never had any problems there, especially things like pretterm labour.  I've found that like last time only clove oil helps to relieve the pain due pregnancy.
I just had a tooth taken out 2 weeks ago.. it had gotten infected, and for the safety of the baby we had it removed.. it was a tooth that had had a root canal and crown, but infection spread underneath due to food getting wedged or something like that.  The dentist said the crown was too large for the tooth.. anyway, I told them to yank that sucker!
I am thirty seven weeks pregnant, and my tooth has cracked! It hurts so bad and I'm sure I'll either have to have it removed or get a root canal. One of many. The pain is sometimes unbearable that I just want to cry. Sometimes I do! Just wanted to say,,,it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. I'm trying the baking soda!
im trying the baking soda to , im on my 9th month of pregnancy only about 10 days left, but the pain is unbearable that im sitting her crying!

thanks for all of the suggestions

x
We both would like to thank you for the baking soda remedy. My daughter and I have been praying for a solution to her toothache problem. She went to the dentist and she needs ortho-surgery and the only one in Tampa refuses to remove the tooth. So we're very grateful for you and your help to give both of us some much needed peace tonight!
Im trying baking soda now the pain is unreal and my dentist wont do anything and im getting married in 5 days and 32 weeks pregnant!
Thanks ladies for the suggestions! Iam current 9 weeks pregnant and my tooth is killing me. I have been having so many sleepless night and much more. I havent turned my air condition on in a month. What has worked for me is rinsing my mouth out  with salt water. Please dont waste your money on buying oral gel. Again thanks for baking soda tips!
I have had horrible toothaches for the last couple days.  I never had any pain in this tooth until after I got a crown put on it - dentist has refitted the crown & had no pain for a month but it is back in full force plus now.  Am past 40 wks pregnant and will also be getting my wisdom teeth removed after baby arrives.  Nothing seems to work, so trying the baking soda remedy.  THANK YOU it is working so far.
im going to try the BAKING SODA coz the pain killing me out. . an d i think my bubba's affected that much. .thanks
I found your post last night when I couldn't sleep with a toothache and a terrible headache.  I'm about 25 weeks pregnant and have had sensitive gums since the beginning, but this was the first ache.  I tried the baking soda remedy with water and a little salt, followed by the bs paste rubbed on my teeth and was surprised how quickly it worked!  So I did it one more time!  So simple and almost immediate relief, well worth a shot before going to see a dentist!!  As a bonus, my headache went away too.

I was able to go to sleep and sleep solidly through the night. I still feel a little swollen or sore, but I was so happy to get some sleep!!  Thanks so much for sharing your post, I can see that it helped many people not just me!!  I think I'll go try it again right now.... :)
By lucia kekana of south africa
I am 23 weeks pregnant and started having minor toothache.
So I went on net n looked if I was the only one with this problem
It was not bad at all , I could sleep and eat
It was just an irritating feeling
I tried tylenol , calcium and baking soda but didnot succeed
I looked for penicillin which I had from dentist when I had wisdom removed
in medical cabin and checked if can be used during pregnancy
Luckily some antibiotics are safe to use
Took one tablet and in no time my tooth stoped irritating me
Toothaches are caused by bacteria. And only antibiotics tackle them for good    
I am 34 weeks pregnant.and my pain is really awful. i can't sleep at night properly and it was so stressful. i want this pain to go away, but my mom told me that I can go check with the dentist 6mos. after my baby arrives. the pain is so excruciating and i cried every night   i tried cold compress, salt water, but havn't tried the baking soda,  i'll tell my husband to buy me tomorrow and i'll try it. i hope it will work for me.
I hope this one works for my wife.. I really feel worried with her. Staying late at night.. We're still up around 1:00 - 2:00 because of her suffering from a severe toothache.. She's 8 months pregnant and in desperation we've contacted her OB for a med and she gave us Cefalexin and a Paracetamol.. Which is not working.. And I advised her to stop taking the med after 1 day and a half of taking the med without any results at all.. I hope this one will really work.. thank you very much in advance..

hi..i am 21 weeks pregnant....and also one of the victim of toothache.
i observed my toothache becomes active more when i have something sweet, so i was considering it normal decay caused by sweets. but today it lasted a long, which prompted me to google it. i knew its normal in pregnancy but was horrified today. i am also soon gonna see my GP and dentist for the same.

meanwhile, i just tried this baking soda thing. hope it will work for me as well...pray for me..
Hi, my pain started i went to cinema and had some popcorn and too thought it was sweet tooth or something.
Went to the dentist and he gave me two toothpaste to try to reduce sensitivity.
5 days later, no sleep, no food, no drinking i went mentally unstable. Rang emergency dentist in Charlton village and she saved me from biggest nightmare i ever had.
Local anastetic, cleaned 3 canals 20 minutes later i was very very happy mummy to be.
Go to the dentist- soda helped only for a bit, corsadyl mouth wash- for a bit, sensodine rapid relief- for a bit, untill my gums became so painful i couldn't put anything in my mouth.
My jaw hurt, all my teeth hurt, ear shooting pains, locking jaw. It was not good.

Im 21 weeks pregnant. And my mouth is seriously hurting. Im not registerd with any dentist because none seem to be taking any new patients. :) Its mostly my gums that hurt. :( I doubt il be getting any sleep tonight too.
i dont know like im am now pregnant with the second child, my first pregnancy i had the same problem like around 7-8 months i had a chipped tooth in the back, and was literlly going crazy.... i really didnt want to get anything done during the pregnancy because i was so close to the end, a couple days passed and it became unbearable, i knew that it was infection that was causing the majority of the pain, so ended up going to a new dentist, which took xrays and then told me that i had to have it pulled i explained to him i wanted to wait till after delivery if i could have amoxicillin and he gave me some excuse that if i took amoxicillin during pregnancy, that it would cause my son to have grayish adult teeth.....????? wtf.... my prenatal dr had no problem perscribing me the amox. and tylenol. so weird. Now this pregnancy same thing only 9 wks now and i had a messed up wisdom tooth that is not protruding the gum line so assuming they would have to cut the gum,,,, i am once again suffering thru this one... i cried last night and took amox and tylenol feeling much much better today. i think infection is what causes the unbearable pain that i am experincing. so now the pain is very low only after 2 amox and 5 tylenol later. so relived for now and hoping that the pain doesnt come back :)
Bless your heart that was the only thing that worked!  Thank you for posting that you saved me I tried everything and then came upon your post it didnt hurt, and worked instantly cant wait for monday going to the dentist!
This really worked! The taste was a little off-putting (gotta love pregnancy hormones) but I read somewhere that honey is another home remedy, so I added a tiny bit of honey to off set the taste. But seriously... THANK YOU! I have a cavity and I cant sleep or eat and Monday (when the dentist opens) can't come fast enough. I finally have a little relief, anbesol didn't work, cloves didnt work, nothing worked. Thank Goodness for baking soda!
Trying the baking soda also I'm 2 months in a half pregnant.