Maternal & Child Community
Tourette's Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tourette's Syndrome

I have Tourette Syndrome and I was diagnosed when I was 6. When I have my first kid will they get Tourettes syndrome? Also will they get it as bad as me? Because i have a severe case of tourettes.
Hi!
Actually that is very difficult to answer. Tourette Syndrome is not an autosomal dominant genetic disease. It is a genetic disease, seen to cluster in families, but strangely it has no inheritance pattern like an autosomal dominant and an autosomal recessive disease. Many environmental factors, and other genetic factors play a role. Hence it is difficult to say whether the first child will get the syndrome or not. You must get genetic counseling while pregnant or if planning pregnancy.  Sadly there are there are no tests to diagnose Tourette's, and no way to screen the disease. Take care!