Maternal & Child Community
Trisomy 13 or 18

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Trisomy 13 or 18

My 39 year old sister-in-law was recently told (at approx 20 weeks) that her fetus exhibits symptoms that may be consistent w/ trisomy 13 or 18.
She was told she has low amniotic fluid, that the bowel/abdomen is appearing bright on ultrasound, and that the femur and arm length are that of a 17 week fetus.
She has refused any amnio or further testing, but I am looking for some answers or suggestions.
She was extremely ill for the 3 weeks leading up to the ultrasound, including pain in the diaphragm area, vomiting and diarrhea, and lost 8 lbs during that time.  She had all the symptoms of gall stones, but an ultrasound of that area the same day as the fetal ultrasound showed no gallbladder problems.
those symptoms all subsided the week of her ultrasound, and she feels very active fetal movement.  
The heart and other organs were all found to be normal, and I am wondering if there are any other possibilities or causes for these findings?  Could her illness have caused any of these findings (low amniotic fluid, for example)?  Are there any other less severe problems that this baby could have besides trisomy 13 or 18?  
My son was born 2 years ago with Trisomy 21, and had severe congenital heart defects.  One year ago, another sibling delivered a stillborn at 38 weeks.  Now this year, we are receiving this scare.  Are these in any way linked genetically, should our large family be concerned?
Please give me any advice you can, as our family has had its share of struggles in the past 2 1/2 years, and we are looking for answers.
Thank you!
Bless your heart.  I feel for you.  My cousin delivered a trisomy 18 baby this year.  Unfortunately he died at birth but I do understand what you are going through.  Feel free to email me at ***@**** if you'd like to talk more.  You and your family will be in my thoughts! Kellie
i am 32 1/2 weeks pregnant ..at about 20 weeks the doctor told me that i could very well be carrying a baby boy with trisomy 18..his arms and legs too are smaller than normal all organs apear to be perfect have had alot od ultrasounds im excited each time i pray he has grown each time we go ..but he is not showing too much of improvement yet? i did however refuse the amnio..for i think god gave me this baby for a reason and that reason is not to abort..i have a VERY active little guy in  here and i also wanted to mention that i have a 2 vessel cord..wich can cause small fetal growth and as well as organ problems..but at this time i just tell myself in 5 weeks when im induced..hes going to be healthy..perhaps small and  we will love him all the same no matter what...i have my concerns they eat me up everyday..to the point my husband and i have argued about MY feelings ...my AFP test was fine all except trisomy18 score was 1/92 .... normal cut off is sposed to be 1/100...the doctors just keep telling me that im at risk...maybe less than 1% chance of really haveing the defect .....but the cord only being a 2 vessel cord is also cromasonal so  it could very well be the problem for the test result ..im scared to death that i may lose my son i want him out now just to know hes ok...i hope that this sheds a little light to let you know that i understand what your family is going through i wish you all the best ..if you want to chat feel free to email me  at  ***@****
I have my results today
42y/o  - 14 weeks

1 of 109...is this correct?  am i ok?  this doctor they way he spoke to me scare the life out of me
check this link for trisomy 18

http://jasonandamberg.blogspot.com/