Maternal & Child Community
Trying to avoid bpa

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Trying to avoid bpa

so theres this big talk about avoiding bpa and baby bottles. well we're supposed to drink water and i dont kno about all of you but i drink bottled water because of not knowing how clean our tap water is....well bpa is also leached into out bottled water. so..so much for trying to have avoided this whole time. i was drinking SO much bottled water throughout the entire pregnancy.

anyways, im wondering about a safe alternative. are there safe bottled water that wont leach things into the water? are filtration systems really better?

shoot might as well take one of domincs bpa free bottles and drink out of that. haha
I think it depends on the number that is in the triangle.  I think a 1 - 3 is ok, anything higher not good.

Who knows, we will have to live in a plastic bubble soon.  Everything is dangerous.
i hear ya there! i feel like every time i turn around there's something else thats harmful. no matter what you do - you just can't win. its like one week - chocolate helps prevent cancer, next week - chocolate causes cancer! its sooo much to think about!
LOL...I know.  I think that we should just live and not worry about things so much.  How many years did we drink from those bottles that probably contained the bpa chemical.  I'm 30 and still ticking along.  I could get hit by a bus tomorrow....gee, I hope I don't but the point is we will eventually learn something new that is harmful and we will avoid those things at all costs too.  It's just too much.
I think the BPA thing is kind of a lot of baloney, personally.
Really, Peek? Can you tell us why? I would love to hear your opinions on it as a medical person. I am sick of worrying about it!! :)
I have no medical facts to base it on.  I know what they say, I know what's in the news.

I choose not to worry about something as pervasive as foods packaged in plastic.  I worry about more controllable health risks, like obesity, nutrition, exercise, not smoking, and the myriad of other things we can much more easily control, and that are much riskier to us all.

Try to avoid plastic and see how far you get.  It would, of course, be ideal--but pretty darn hard.  
If you have the time, and are worried about it--go for it and try to remove all plastic packaging from your lives.  

I'm still working on the thing that was most likely to end my life early--obesity and lack of nutritional awareness.  

what i researhed showed it omits such an eensy bit that i dont see how it can be THAT bad.  bet im just little ol pertykitty not a scientist lol
i meant but not bet
I heard that it's so insignificant that it doesn't have any effect.  Next they will say using ball point pens leads to cancer or putting a q-tip in your ear.  I mean this is life.  Let's just live it to the fullest and stop obsessing about meaningless garbage.  It's getting ridiculous already.  I'm glad though that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
i am done with q tips  let me tell you! i use them all the time and wound up loosing my hearing temporally beacuse i shoved the wax deaper into my ear!!! beware q tip!

im glad to hear someone in the medical feild doesnt think its all that its cracked up to be!
"But Peek said..." I can see the lawsuit now,lol!
my god i shouldnt be allowed to type while nursing a baby that loves to kick the keyboard while im doing it!! i have so many errors how sad!  the particles were in the 1/billions!
i had no idea what bpa or whatever it is was, but when i bought my new brita it says its better then bottled water because it doesnt emit bpa, so if you buy a brita filtration system that sits right in the fridge its supposable better, even though i still have no idea what this stuff is supposed to do, i too, doubt that its that harmful because ive been drinking bottled water since as long as i can remember and havent croked yet, but who knows, they are saying everything is bad for you these days, i just got my couch scotch guarded and apparently that causes cancer...who knew