Maternal & Child Community
Tummy Time need some information

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tummy Time need some information

I'm a bit worried because when I took my twin girls to their 2month check up yesterday their doctor told me that their heads are a little bit to wobbly and that I need to sit them up more while supporting their heads. I've tried putting them on their tummies but they really don't enjoy it that much. Sometimes they spend more time sleeping then awake and when they are awake they are either getting bathe, getting their diaper change they are fussy or they are feeding and eventually naps in between and like I said when I've tried the tummy time they get fussy. I'm really worried that when they are 5 or 6 months old they will not be able to hold their heads up, could that even be possible? I'm just really concerned.....If anyone have any advice I would be glad to hear them.....Thank You!!!!!
I've read that many babies development is delayed now that babies sleep on their backs.  I think they will get it. It is just taking little longer.  Much of my baby's tummy time is spent laying on my chest.  Have you tried that?
were they born early? they might need to "catch up" if they were born premature.  addison doesnt like to be on her tummy either, especially not on the floor.  
My older dd hated tummy time too when she was a baby. What I did with her, is put her on her tummy for only like 5-10 minutes at a time, more frequently throughout the day.  Tummy time doesn't have to be all at once.  
Yes they were born at 36wks.
Hi...just a thought.  I know tummy time can be a little rough when they are this young.  My son really disliked it, so I didn't really force him to do it for longer than he could handle.  So, I thought of ways to prolong his tolerance to it.  At 2 months, your girls should still have a liking for sharp contrasts and bright colors.  I remember propping up a black and white checker board infront of my son.  It would only last a few minutes, but he would work so hard to catch a good look at that checker board, that he had no choice but to lift his head up really good.  I figure if you can get them to do something like that a couple times a day, they will soon be doing much better.  

Just one more thought...don't force it.  Being a mother of two myself, I have learned that babies learn the situations in which they feel insecure VERY quickly.  Be sure to make it known to them that you are right there with them and that they can trust you and this whole 'tummy situation'.

Best of luck to you and your girls...they are beautiful!
Kristyn.
I started my boys right out of the hospital. No baby I know *likes* tummy time at first, but getting down on the floor with them, sing, play games like peekaboo, can be fun for them and you. Small steps, a few minutes a few times a day and before you know it, they will love tummy time!
My son did not like tummy time, and even now that he can roll to his tummy he does not like it.  I agree with one of the other posters, try it on your chest- that is how DS gained so much of his strength.  And one big thing I have learned- babies will develop at their own pace.  The doctor told me at DS 4 month that he was behind because he didn't roll, and that weekend he did it- learned it all on his own!
Thank you ladies for your advice I will try to make it fun for them.
i didnt read all the comments so someone might have said this already ;)

my first loved her tummy from birth, she would fuss and as soon as i would put her on her belly she would stop and just want to stay there for hours

baby number 2 was total opposite, she didnt want anything to do with tummy time, what i found to work, i think around two months is when i started, was putting her boppy down and proping her up on it, so shes not all the way on her belly, its a really colorful bright pink one so she loved the colors, it still didnt last too long, but at least i could get a little tummy time in without a screaming session, now shes 5 months old and on her belly all the time (she loves it now that she can roll and scoot lol)

They may just not like being on their belly because they cant see anything but the boring floor, have you tried laying them on one of those blanket things that are made for tummy time? i cant think of what they are called, but normally they have a thing that goes above it so they can look at it when they are on their backs, and then the bottom is really colorful so that on their bellys they can be stimulated too
Ashtyn hated it at first too.....but his therapist and myself made him do it. We would only make him do it a minute at a time to start with, and worked our way up until we could lay him on his belly and he would not cry a tear. He learned to like it with all the fun stuff we put on the floor for him to look at. It is all about catching their attention and listening to them!!! He only had to do it for a minute, but he only got a short rest and it was back to the tummy. He is GREAT now!!!!
My preemie twins (especially DS) had poor head/neck control in the early months as well.  All the other physical milestones require it though, so it's best to practice it as much as possible.   As others have suggested, use toys and things to keep them interested.  We had great luck with moving toys that they could follow.  We have this battery operated circus train that would move across the room and it held little blocks that would spin and go up and down (i think it's fisher price).  Good Luck!