Maternal & Child Community
Tummy Time??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tummy Time??

When my son and I were in hospital, when he was born, the nurses were telling me how important "Tummy-Time" is.... My son is over 4 months old, and still when I try to give him some Tummy-Time, he will scream and cry until I can't stand it and turn him back over. What is your advice? Anyone else ever have this problem? Thanx for your help! **Babie Dusties**
Well if he doesnt like being on his tummy, i probably wouldn't force him to do it. I dont think you have anything to worry about, just let him play on his back until he feels comfortable on his tummy. He will start to roll from his back to his tummy on his own in no time.
The nurses are right, tummy time is very important to build those muscles that they need. My second hated being on her tummy also.  What we did was lay down on our tummies with her and try to entertain her or we would put some of her favorite toys in front of her. You can also buy these mats that are made for tummy time. They have toys and lots of colorful designs for them to look at. Those work really good too.
Just put him on his tummy several times a day and eventaully he will get used to it. Even if it's just for a few min. at a time.  Good luck!
I forgot to mention, my son has been in physical therapy since birth and his therapist told us that a lot of parents make the mistake of not putting their kids on their tummy because they don't like it, but they really need it to build the muscles that they need. Our PT said it could cause problems in the future.

Here is a good link about tummy time.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/tummy_time.cfm
Tummy Time VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!
My son didnt like it either, he would cry. Turned out he had hypotonia and needed OT. He still is not strong in his trunk area and he is 4 1/2.
I know now what to do with my next little one that is on the way.

My son's OT told me tummy time and crawling are more important than them learning to walk. Everyone is in such a hurry for their babys to walk, so they buy those walkers that move and are stationary, BAD. If they crawl for a long time it is actually not a bad thing, of course they have to learn to walk eventually within a reasonable time frame. My sons OT had kids who were early walkers ,they did so becasue they didnt have that upper body (trunk) strength.

Keep him entertained and keep him on the floor as much as possible.
My five month old hated it too until very recently, I persevered as I know how important it is. He is quite happy now, rolling over from tummy to back and wriggling all over the place! One thing we did (recomended by my other son's OT) was to put him on his tummy on the sofa and put your hand on their bottom, sit on the floor infront of them and play with them, he liked that much better than being directly on the floor as he had more to look at being a bit higher up. At first we put a boppy cushion under his arms across his chest to raise him up but once his trunk became stronger we did away with it. Obviously you must never leave them whilst you are doing this with them.
Glad to be reminded about how important this is.  My son also dislikes it and cries, so we had sort of given up on it.  His legs are definitely stronger than his arms and upper body, so it's high time to get going on this again.  Thanks.
My 9 week old doesn't like tummy time very much either.  But, if I lay down with her on my  chest, she will tolerate it for a while.  She wil push herself up and look around like crazy.  I think the comfort of having you right there helps.
my lil man hated tummy time too...i did what the above poster did and put him on my chest until he got used to it...then i got this bubbly mat filled w/ water and he really loved it...
Don't force it.  Just keep trying every day and eventually he'll be ok with it.