Maternal & Child Community
Tummy Time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tummy Time

When did u start it and how did u go about it? Did u pick them up when they cried or let them get used to it? What do u think about using the boppy for tummy time? Help or hinderance?
I started from the beginning with both of my boys.  My first one loved being on his tummy as he was colicky and also very gassy.  He even would fall asleep and I would have to flip him over, making him mad but what can ya do.  Anyway, this little one is going to be 3 months old tomorrow and he hated it at first, so we would do a few minutes a couple times a day, then we made it longer and more often as he got used to it.  He is also colicky so I thought he would like it better, but not so much.  You can use a boppy to prop up baby to give him a different viewpoint, it is suggested in some parenting magazines, you just have to be careful and really watch to make sure the little one doesn't slip.  I also get down on the floor and lay there and talk to him and put a toy out in front of him to give him something interesting to look at.  He likes it much more now.  Once they get tired and they begin to fuss or have a hard time holding their little head up and need a break you should roll them over, unless they do it themselves, this one will if he gets frustrated and tired of tummy time.  Enjoy!
I forgot to mention, a lot of people may tell you to wait till your baby is 1-3 months old, but our PT told us that there are so many parents that make this mistake and the baby ends up being a little bit behind with their moter skills.

PS, our physical therapist (PT) specialises is pediatric physical therapy, so he deals with infants everyday.
My son has been in physical therapy since birth and we have talked a lot about tummy time. Our PT told us that for a normal healthy baby they should start tummy time from birth. It's very important to do tummy time to strengthen those muscles. If your baby doesn;t like it, start off with just a few min. a day and eventually they will get used to it. Lay down on the floor with your baby and try and entertain. There are also tummy time mats that worked great for my kids. I'm not sure about the pillows. I don't see why it would hurt.
Here is a good article about tummy time....

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babybehavior/1439985.html
Its hard when they dont like it. But I think if you try different things she will like it and get used to it.
I didnt do it with my son enough and he needed OT when he got a little older because of hypotonia (low muscle tone). Which he had regardless, but I could have helped cure it sooner. I didnt realize how important it was at the time and he did hate it.  
The OT I had said tummy time and crawling are more important than walking early. In other words when she is at that stage where she is crawling dont push for her to walk, she will get there. Alot of parents buys the saucers for them to stand in (I did) its better not to use those and when they start to stand up holding on to things let them do it on there own like on a table or one of those musical tables they make for babies and toddlers.
Also try not to keep her in the bouncy chair to much. This was something else I did and regret. I  got rid of all some of that stuff for my new baby. I dont want to be tempted.
My 4 month old daughter HATES tummy time.  She would cry instantly when I put her on her tummy.  I just bought a surf board looking tummy time mat and she actually loves it.  She won't stay on her tummy for a really long time, but she lifts her head and plays on it for about ten minutes at a time.

I had my last baby 11 years ago and I didn't even know what tummy time was--my doctor asked me how she was doing with it at her 2-week check up.  (I think I was supposed to do it from the beginning, but I don't know for certain.)