Maternal & Child Community
Tummy Time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Tummy Time

My Noah is a chunker.  He's 11 weeks tomorrow and already weighs 15lbs.  During the day, he's either being held by me or in his swing or bouncy chair (his decision..lol). I've tried giving him some supervised tummy time. HE HATES IT!! lol  I'll gently lay him on his tummy (arms up, arms down, legs up, legs down..lol) and no matter what, He'll lift his head for a second and then he gets MAD and cries.  When he's lying on my chest, he seems to lift his head fine. Should I be worried or is it just his preference and maybe he'll grow out of it? My 2 girls are older (*10 and 7) and I dont remember them getting too upset about it....maybe I am just not remembering stuff like I used to? haha
i had the same problem with my son, he'll grow out of it. i'd try giving tummy time more and gradually increase how long you leave him on his tummy. do you have a tummy time toy? we got him one where it had a mirror and a few toys and it seemed to help. don't worry about it to much i thought my son was never going to like tummy time as he got older he liked it alot more i'd just give it time :D good luck!
Thanks Casa! I know it's probably a silly question but I just like to hear if others are going through or have went through this as well. I appreciate your comment! =)
I had the same time with my DD. I was told though that even if your baby is on your chest and lifts his head that way that it is fine and does help the muscles to develop. She  got most of her tummy time like that and then moved to the floor.
to get dd used to tummy time, i would put her on her belly on the couch and sit right next to her and sing songs, make silly faces, etc... she preferred the couch because the gentle curve of the cushions propped her up a bit. or you could try rolling a blanket or using a pillow and putting it under his chest//arms to help him lift himself. once he gets the hang of lifting his head it will frustrate him less.
I think most babies hate tummy time.  My ds is 5 1/2 months and he still hates being on his belly.  Now when I put him on it, he pulls his knees in and starts getting upset.  They have mats that you can buy that have a pillow that props up their chest.  He prefers that and I just throw some toys in front of him so he can play a little.  He only tolerates it for 10 minutes or so but if you do it a few times a day it should do the trick.  Good luck.
Thank you so much ladies! You've given me some good ideas and it feels comforting to know I am not alone!  =)
Ethan hated it at first too, until he learned to roll over...now tummy time is his own decision, so I think he enjoys it better when he rolls himself from his back to belly.  Now he hates being on his back and has to sit up, stand up or tummy time.
Aliana still doesn't really like tummy time, but it does get better as they get older.  Sometimes she likes being propped up on her boppy (tummy side down), but that doesn't really work her arms/shoulders.  It did seem to get her used to the feeling of being on her tummy, though.  The mirror idea is great also.