Tums and pregnancy
I've heard some adverse things about taking Tums and other things when pregnant... I read online "Tums is considered a pregnancy category C drug, meaning it's "probably" safe to take, but that animal studies may show detrimental effects."

Anyway, I'm 20 weeks and now starting in on the heartburn, and found out from a friend who went through horrendous heartburn that she took Papaya Enzyme pills--you can get them at a health food store or vitamin store or GNC, and they are tasty as all get out and do a world of wonders for your tummy!  I also find that milk helps a lot at home, but I don't generally have milk in my office.
I think they are okay.  I have had two friends that popped them like candy and their babies were fine.  One of them is a nurse so she would probably know if there were significant dangers.  I personally have toughed it through the acid burn without medication, but that's just because I hate pills.
hi. i had horrible heart burn my first trimester and lived on tums. i also don't drink milk, so i needed calcium. my doctor told me to take tums, as did my dh (who is a pharmacist). i took so many tums, i can no longer stand the thought of taking another. i'll be watching other responses for other ideas for reducing heart burn. but as far as risks for tums... my doctor is a high-risk ob and he told me to take it regularly. i think it's class c simply because it's so innocuous, in depth studies haven't been done. but if you think of how many women live on tums during pregnancy, i am sure they would have at least indicators of problems it can cause. (note though- make sure you don't take more than the maximum daily recommended dose that's on the bottle)
my doc yesterday said Mylanta was the way to go. Or the generic or store brand of the same. At 24 weeks, mine is just occasional, but better to have something in my arsenal than be without and miserable. :)
Actually, they tell pregnant women to take Tums (2 a day) even if they don't have heartburn because of the calcium that we need extra during our pregnancy.  Just keep it to moderation (follow the back of the bottles) and you should be okay.
I took tums a couple of times in my first trimester and would take them again if I felt they would help!To be honest they just didnt work for me!  I took the kind that were supposed to help with gas but alas... I was still a stinker.  Was could be the wrong word...
My gastroenterologist took me off nexium and put me on tums 1-3 4xs day for severe heartburn whe I got pregnant. It helps. Also eat small meals, no spicy or chocalate, coffee and never go to bed less then 2 1/2 hrs after eating. If you have to sit up and sleep in bed. That's what I do.
I am 32 weeks and had hb like weeks 22 to 28, I still have it on and off, but not very often.  And I think that baby is up even higher now.  I would eat a snack at night and that would make it burn.  So I don't recommend eating anything before bed.  I like milk, but found it didn't do much for me.  My mom used to drink Butter milk (now that stuff is nasty).  I did the tums thing just at night, and it helped a little, but made me very flemmy.