Maternal & Child Community
Twin survival rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Twin survival rate

Hello, I am 6w 3d pregnant and found out friday i am pregnant with twins, they saw both babys heartbeats...what are the odds that both twins will survive at this point?  can anyone share any of there stories good or bad. and if not both what are the odds that both will survive?  i know its worse to worry but i just like concrete facts and statistics...
Two of my girlfriends are due with twins anyday now.  Both are on bedrest and are about 7 1/2 months along.  Both babies are over 5 pounds.  Just think positively and tell yourself everyday how grateful you are that you are having a healthy pregnancy.  Good luck!
When I found out I'm pg with twins (6 1/2 weeks), the dr. I saw at the RE's office said there was a 95% chance that everything would be fine (I'm assuming that she meant I wouldn't miscarry them at least) since we saw and heard good, strong heartbeats.  I went back to RE at 8 1/2 weeks for second u/s and saw my regular RE.  I asked him what my chances were that everything would be okay and he said there was an 85-90% chance that I would carry both babies to term and that there wouldn't be any complications (i.e., miscarriage, bedrest, preterm labor, etc.)  I know it is so hard not to worry.  I am 12 wks today and still worried to death.  Every little twinge makes me nervous.  I go back to my regular ob next week and she will listen for heartbeats via doppler and I am so nervous!  

I empathize with you because it makes me doubly worried even though I've hit the 3 month mark today.  But, just try to stay positive (easier said than done...lol).  I'm sure you'll be fine.
Thank you ladies sooo much for the support and postivie comments!!  it really makes me feel better!  i just read somewhere that the chance of a vanashing twin is 50% for people who used ovulation inducers...wihich this was an injectable cycle for me since i had a miscarriage in december but i know for the miscarriage was due to poor egg quality from the pcos where as this cycle i was being monitored very closly and know i had all 3 eggs at least 21mm....how crazy!!!  good luck to you both!!  i wish i was were you were so id feel a little better!  but hey...just gota take it one day at a time and its in God's hands...
You have the right attitude.  I have had two miscarriages so I totally understand the worrying aspect during your pregnancy.  I'm 19 weeks and getting ready to find out what I'm having on Friday.  I still worry all the time, even when I feel the baby move  : )  So it's totally normal to worry, that means you are going to be a good mom!
I saw my babies' heartbeats at 6 weeks and 7 weeks, but by week 8 1/2 there was only one.  It was the classic vanishing twin.  Good luck, I hope it doesn't happen for you, vanishing twin is a miscarriage like any other, and is very sad.  The good news is that the one that survived is the healthiest baby you have EVER seen.  (Look up "thriving" in the dictionary and you will see his picture.)  He's 5 1/2 months old and 17 1/2 pounds, and has not had any problems.
Thanks to all of you for your great stories!!!  makes me feel much better!  we shall see what happens to me!!
hi. i am currently 24 weeks with twins. i found out at 5 weeks and 1 day. my doctor saw both babies heartbeats right away and said that he was treating it like two pregnancies running consecutively. he said after seeing a heartbeat that each baby had a 95% chance of survival.  

at 10 weeks i had a bleed. it was bright red and heavy. i went to the hospital. we found out i had lost a triplet that had never developed beyond a blasocyst. the body typically absorbs that, but i had rejected it. we also found placenta previa. i have routine ultrasounds every 3 weeks to a month. my previa has finally cleared the cervix and is all gone.

at my 23 week appointment i discussed the swelling i have in my feet and they found sugar in my urine. i don't have gestational diabetes yet or pre eclampsia yet, but my doctors feel i am developing it. i am still at work at 6 months. i have a desk job so it's helped me stay at work longer.

my doctor said that complications are alot more common, most twins deliver around 35 weeks and are fully developed at 37 weeks. the way he summed it up was "if it can happen, it probably will" i have been advised to be prepared for bedrest for my last month.

it was all worth it when i passed my first trimester and he told me that he was 98% sure my twins would be born alive and do just fine. when i realized we had lost one i was happy to know my other two were okay, but sad a little too. now everytime i see them dancing across the ultrasound(great perk of having multiples is seeing them often)

the downside of finding out so soon is that vanishing twin syndrome happens alot more often than people know. it used to be unknown that a twin ever existed because early ultrasounds just didn't happen. women saw their baby at 20 weeks and were happy to see him/her. now we are fortunate to know, but if we lose one, it hurts.

sorry it's so long, but i was hoping to give you a window into what could happen with your pregnancy.

best of luck and god bless you and your tiny little beans :)
my mom had two boys 13 years ago, she did not need any bedrest, or any extra care, she was tired by the time she was near the end, but every thing went good, untill i have now two great brothers, who are 13 years old, so just keep faith in god, and stay positive, if the doctor told you that you need bed rest so rest. by the way my cousin had a triplet last year, 2 girls and 1 boy.
I found out I was pregnant with twins at just 8 weeks. At my prenatal visit, we saw both babies heartbeats although one was smaller than the other and it's heartbeat was lower (90 bpm) when the other twin was  145 bpm. My doc ordered another ultrasound in 2weeks and I just had it yesterday at which time we discovered the twin b's heart was no longer beating. My doc said it may take months for my body to completely resorb the rest of the fetus. (I'm 10 wks now.) Classic vanishing twin syndrome here. I did have to use Clomid to get pregnant as I was not ovulating. Twin A is still thriving and has a heartbeat of 175 bpm. I am just having faith everything will be alright with it. But to you, it is not worth worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Just enjoy the moment and good luck!
my boys are almost a year old. my brothers (also twins) just turned 15. my cousins ex wife had a set of twins and they turned 13 a few months ago. i have a friend who would have been a twin but his mother miscarried his brother in the second trimester.

what my ob told me was it just depends on the womans body and if she can handle it. i was put on bedrest at 24 weeks and went into labor at 34 weeks. my boys spent 1 night in nicu and only 2 extra days in the hospital. they're now completely healthy 11 month olds.
Hi, i just went to the doctors and found out i was having twin boys, i am currently 20 weeks along, they say right now they look healthy and everythings o.k. so i'm praying they survive till eight months, we all just have to enjoy the time and have faith that it'll turn out great.