Maternal & Child Community
Twins at 30 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Twins at 30 weeks?

So my neighbor just went into the hospital earlier this week and she is 30 weeks (tomorrow) with twins and I guess they have tried stopping here contractions but it has only stopped the really strong ones but she is dialating so they are thinking about sending her to Denver.  There is a hospital in Denver that will deliver babies before 34 weeks otherwise most hospitals wont, unless absolute emergency.  What is the chances of twins born at 30 weeks being okay?
well i had a friend who had a baby at 28 weeks and that was only ONE baby and i know that babies born before 35 weeks run a great risk, better yet if their twins! so i would say pray
K1990,  your post is very confusing.  Any hospital will deliver babies at any stage of pregnancy if they can't stop labor.   They just don't wheel the mothers out to the curb and leave them there.    Of course  some have better results with treatment of preemies,  but you've been told wrong that other hospitals won't allow women to stay and deliver babies while in labor.

Twins are always at greater risk than singletons.  The chance of twins being "okay" at 30 weeks depends on many factors - like the mother's health and how she treated her body during her pregnancy.  Assuming she is healthy,  and she did her best to ensure the health of her babies - then their chances are improved.

In reality,  the chances that they will be "on track" when they are 3 years old is very slight.  Miracles do happen,  but twins born at 30 weeks will probably be delayed in many areas.

Prayers work.  Keep praying.  

There are many hospitals in Denver that are equipped with NICU's and can handle 30 weekers.
Its a big city.

If she's at a small, community hospital, they would probably transfer her to a bigger facility if it looked like she might deliver.

At 30 weeks, statistically the babies have a good chance at ultimately living healthy lives with little permanent damage, but of course things don't always follow the statistics.  They will have many challenges, some very serious health problems for a while, and no one really knows what will ultimately happen.
i agree with rockrose i've never heard of a hospital refusing to deliver babies born early. we thought i was going to go into labor prior to 30 weeks with my twins and we were completely ready for it (luckily i'm going into week 33 and both boys are snuggled soundly inside still) yeah there are risks but multiple babies tend to develop faster in gestation then singeltons do. (how i'm not sure but.....apparently they do) they'd only technically be 6 weeks premature if they were born at 30 weeks since 95% of twins are born by week 36. (at least that's the numbers my docs have given me)

if she doesn't go into labor each week she makes it is a BIG leap for the babies. each week marks a new risk they won't have to worry about. so my prayers are with her and her babies!!!!
My mom had me at 27 weeks.....she had our local hospital refuse to admit her because she was in labor so early and they were not equipped...my dad had to drive her to a hospital 45  minutes away....she had me about 20 minutes after she got there. I was taken by baby bus to a big city NICU. But, that was almost 22 years ago lol
heatherlynn

Yes, twins are often born early, but it doesn't "technically" make them only 6 weeks early.  They are still 10 weeks early.

I delivered at a small hostipal, but they said if I had any problems during pregnancy or begining of labor they would move me to a hospital that was better equipped to handle emergencies, and they also had a bigger NICU.  My small hospital didnt have that, only a nursery.  So it is true they will move her.  Oh I live in So. Cal, where they have tons of hospitals around...but they also have small hospitals that arent equipped to handle early babies.  They will deliver you if the baby is coming out, but if they have time they will transfer.
I would hope the babies would be okay.  Any extra day she can keep them in there will help!  
Everyone is correct that babies born this early will have many challenges and that it is impossible to know what they will be and how the babies will react to them.  Every baby is different -- even twins.

On a positive note, my SIL had twins delivered at 24 weeks and both barely over a pound.  They are now almost a year old and are pretty close to where they should be for their adjusted age (3 months younger than birth age).  It was certainly touch and go for a long while (even before they were born). They were in the hospital for months and remained on oxygen until recently.  They've had their eyes checked and hearing checked several times and so far seem to be okay.  I'm sure they will encounter many challenges in the future...but they are here and healthy.

Say a prayer, make sure she is where they are equipped to handle preterm babies and offer whatever support she can use.

Good luck.
They transfered her from Greeley which isn't too big to Denver which has wonderful hospitals that have everything they need to handle babies before 34 weeks thats why they air lifed her there.  I guess her water has broken and is already dialated, so they are expecting the babies in the next 24 hours.   They gave her steroids because as of yesterday the lungs weren't developed.  Their estimated weights are 2.1 and 2.4 pounds, and I know that can be off... So everyone please keep them in your prayers.  I will update again once I know more.
I'll be saying prayers for them . . .  thanks for the update.
They won't deliver at my hospital at 30 weeks - I have to go to the partner hospital about 8 miles away becuase they have a level three nursery

I know lots of babies born at 30 weeks end up OK after NICU - I am sure they have given her steroids for their lungs!

Twins seem to be better off than singletons for some reason?
Alright so she had the girls this morning at 2:53 and 2:57.  They both weighed in at 2.6 pounds and one of the girls was on oxygn but the doctors said she was going well and the other one wasn't on oxygen and going great!  
Wow,  that's good news!  Off to an okay start.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, 2.6 pounds is just so tiny. We got out puppy at 4.6 pounds, I can't imagine a baby half that size.
I just got a little more information on the babies.  They "graduated" to the 7th floor NICU, which I'm assuming is great and neither of them is on oxygen.  They are waiting for weight gain and the girls to start sucking so they can eat.
Did she have a C/Section?  

Imagine!  What are the odds they each weighed exactly the same.  Pretty unbelievable!  And not even on any supplemental oxygen.  That's something very, very unusual indeed.

No oxygen at 30 weeks weighing only 2.6 lbs? Wow...someone must have prayed for a miracle. Unbelievable!
I've always been amazed how everyone around K1990 has multiples.
Yep,  MH is full of freakin miracles!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I'm with jenshim - No oxygen at 30 weeks weighing only 2.6 lbs?  That doesn't seem possible.
haha!! ive never heard of twins weighing the exact same, its pretty amazing isnt it?  no oxy at 30 weeks? that itself is one for the medical journals i bet.  kgirl send us some pics so we can see these adorable little girls, they must be so cute!
wow you just moved into your apt right? you sure became such good friends for her to call after such an emergency  that is great.
Okay, who the heck would iw about something like that, Honestly?  I was going to go over that day and take her the girls baby gifts and she had called and said she was in the hospital and so of course she keep me posted!  Honestly I don't care if you ladies believe this or not and it is a wonderful thing that her babies are doing so well.  I just got a new text from her this morning and one of the girls is back on oxygen but they think that she wont be on it for long again.  They wont be able to suck for another 3 weeks and can hopefully go home in 5 or 6 weeks once they gain enough weight.  She is supposed to send me some pictures of them over my phone so if I can figure out how to get it online I will do.  But if you ladies have nothing better to do than to think I have all the time in the world to make up some stupid stories then I am sorry you arent' spending that extra time with your own kids.  And yes I have been blessed and have been around quite a few sets of twins, now a days it really isnt unusual.
You guys, in her defense, Ashtyn was born at 31 weeks and he was only on oxygen for the first few hours, if even that long. He had the nasal canula, but it was set for room air. If she got the steroid shots, and they had time to work, it is not impossible for those kids to not be on oxygen. Ashtyn dropped down to about 3 pounds and din't have oxygen then either, so whether or not she is making this up is not an issue, because it is not impossible for their lungs to have developed well enough to breath, which happens when they get the steroids. I have no idea if this is true or not, but just sharing Ashtyn's experience in the NICU
Thank you Cheyenne, I don't know what kind of person could make up something like this.  Sherry is very lucky that her babies are doing so well, how the heck would I know about the 7th floor NICU if I was making this up.... I have more to do with my spare time.  I got pictures sent to my phone of the babies and they are very tiny but look good, I wish I knew how to upload them online from my phone.
Try photobucket...they let you upload pics from your phone. You can also email the pictures to your email from the phone, and then save them to the computer and upload them.
I don't have email on my phone... so I will have to try photobucket.  Sherry just went home yesterday and so if she gets some time she said she would email me some pictures.  When I saw the pictures on my phone I am very surprised that they look so good... they just have the tube down their nose to their tummies to feed them and that's all that is on their faces.
you just send the email like a text. you just type in your email adress rather than a phone number
Oh sweet, I didnt know you could do that!
maybe you should ask her permission before you plaster her little ones around the net, i wouldnt like it one bit if someone other than myself put a pic up of addison.  
Alright let me know if this link lets you see the babies.  http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/surfinken2008/
Isabelle is the one with the black thing over her eyes and then the other one is Addyson.  
omg look how small!
They are very small....
2.6 pounds... They are so cute though and I'm glad I dont see a ton of cords and tubes and all of that.
The girls are doing wonderful and once insurance approves they will be transfering them back to NCMC which is in Greeley.  Sherry was getting upset because it was getting too expensive to drive to see the girls everyday so now that they will be coming back to Greeley it will be great.  4 more weeks if everything continues to go so well and they can go home!