Maternal & Child Community
Twins or Miscarriage 5.4 weeks HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Twins or Miscarriage 5.4 weeks HELP!

Hello, I would like some past experiences or someone who can explain our case to us a little better our doctors are **** and I think we need a new one.  Basically here is our case.

We went for our first ultrasound today and they guessed the pregnancy at 5.4 weeks along.  In our ultrasound which they had to do vaginally we were able to locate two yokes.  One was slightly smaller than the other one.  The ultrasound person? went and got two other doctors to look at it.

We were told that it will be either twins or an abnormal pregnancy.  I pryed into what is abnormal pregnancy.. well thats a miscarriage I was told.  

So basically we are having twins or no baby at all from what I could gather.  

So any past experiences or someone who knows about this please respond.  My girlfriend is very worried right now and we are going in next week for the next ultrasound.  Supposedly we only could find one heartbeat.  Really fear the worse but I am trying my hardest to be as optimistic as possible for her sake.  She is taking it really hard and I dont know if she could handle loosing it even though there is no choice in the matter.  
We found out we were pregnant with triplets when we first became pregnant.  The first u/s we found 1 sac, then the 2nd we found all 3 with heartbeats.  On the 3rd u/s we found all 3 sacs but only 2 heartbeats.  I think since you found a heartbeat on the one, that one should be ok - they may mean you were having an abnormal pregnancy on the second sac.  It's called "vanishing twin syndrome".  They are saying now a days that most pregnancies begin in twins and one simply vanishes - the only reason we are seeing it now is because we have started doing ultrasounds earlier.  I'm no doctor, but that was our case so I thought I'd share.  I know that miscarriage goes down once you find the heartbeat.
Honey it is so early on in your pregnancy! I didn't get to see even a yolk sac at 5weeks 4 days, don't give up hope!
I just had a miscarriage at 9 weeks, but I did learn sooo much info, some of which is that that is way too early to be getting all upset. In my opinion, they shouldn't even be doing ultrasounds that early because things change litterally in 24 hours. We are not supposed to know all of this info. It makes you crazy. Just relax- they never found a heartbeat w/ mine at 6 weeks. I'd say you're doing ok!
I had something so similiar! I went in and the sac measured 5w4d and they didn't see anything.  Then 2 weeks later they saw two yolks and two babies.  They said it would either be twins or an abnormal pregnancy.  I went in two weeks later and they both had not developed and the sac was caving in on them.  I had no symptoms of a m/c either! I also already have 2 healthy kids and no prior m/c.  I had a d and c and now I believe I am pregnant again and got preggo  3 weeks after my d and c!
Best of luck to you!!!
My advice is that you should relax and always think positive. In my experience a miscarriage is very difficult nomatter how far along you are. I had a miscarriage during my first pregnancy when I was 14wks in. It was very difficult to get over and I was very nervous that I did something. But you always have to remember what every happens always happens for a reason.  And I just kept thinking that. About nine months later I found out that I was pregnant again and I'm still nervous (17wks) But I keep telling my self everything will be great. I think you just need to keep telling yourself that. Good luck and I hope the best for you and your family.
I appreciate all the experiences and support. If twins is our case is it normal for one of the yolks to be smaller than the other one?

I will fill you all in for those who are curious when we go in next week, wed.
Sometimes yes one will be smaller, it is very possible. I wish you the best! You are certainly in my prayers (I will pray for two healthy babies for you). I wish you the best!
Well, there was a little growth and the sack has not collapsed yet so they dont want to say its a miscarriage yet.  They had her go in for a blood test and will be going again this coming friday for the HCG levels.  That will be our final verdict I guess.. but something tells me its not good.
Yeah, the baby(s) were lost.  They are not growing but the sac is still growing so its not complete quite yet says the Dr. but the pregnancy is over.  Hopefully we will have better luck round 2.  Thanks all for your help
Sorry to hear about that!!  Keep trying - me and my husband tried for 4 years and God has now blessed us - we are 8 months pregnant with twin boys!!  Keep your heads up and I will say a prayer for you both.