Maternal & Child Community
U/S shows nothing at all... I'm approx. 6 weeks...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights ago covered in blood. It was older looking blood, dark red and brown, and there weren't any clots or anything. DH and I had sex and I now know the bleeding started immediately after.  

We went to the ER and the Dr said my HCG levels were low(although he didn't give me actual numbers)and said there was absolutely nothing on the ultrasound. "No sac, no baby, nothing." They did both the external and internal u/s.He said my cervix was closed.

He said there are two possibilities 1. I had a miscarriage or 2. I am way earlier than I think.

They want me to make an appt with an OB to have another u/s 2 weeks from now. They said by then it should be 100% one way or the other. I am also going to ask to have my numbers drawn again so I can see if they are going up or down.

So, I have a waiting game. He said to not get my hopes up though, that he's 99.99999% sure that I did miscarry.

I am still bleeding. It is more fresh looking blood. There have also been some clots in it, although they are tiny, like the size of a grain of rice and smaller. I'm not cramping, I'm not in any pain at all.

Does anyone have any experience with something similar that can give me some ray of hope? I mean, the only thing that makes me think it's a fluke is that the bleeding started from having sex... if it was an actual miscarriage that would be a huge coincidence would it not?
BTW: My LMP was on 1/26.. I tested on the 2/23 and it was negative. I tested again on the 28th and it was very light, took almost the whole 10 minutes to show up. I took 3 more over the next couple of weeks and they were all light and slow to appear, including the one the Dr's office gave me. I took my last one a couple days ago and it was positive and dark immediately.
im sorry it seems bad hang in there dont loose faith i know how you feel i had a m/c in nov 06 and im preggo again and have a lot of morning sickness, your post got to me im so sorry keep your head up. God bless you, keep us updated.

xoxo
hi hon. my friend had an early u/s at 6wks. they saw nothing, they thought the same thing, that she was earlier than she thought or it may be ectopic as her hcg doubled every 48hrs. the following wk they did another u/s and everything was there, but showing that she may have been 5 days off?

i have had a few miscarridges one at 6 wks and the others later. my 6wk one was just like a heavy period with smallish clotts, my hcg was low and scan showed nothing, so i had m/c. my later ones were much different. but i never had pain or bad cramps with any off them.(everyone is different, but no cramps or pain does not mean that you are not m/c sorry)

the bleeding does not sound good, you are best to get your hcg done every 48hrs 2 more times and if your numbers dont double and there is nothing on scan in wk time. then i would go with what your doctor said.

im so sorry, i know how it feels.
Hi I had early scans due to spotting. The first scan showed a thickening of the womb and a cystic area. This in my mind was about 8 weeks, they said about 4. Hcg was low but doubled in 48hrs.(2 tests is the best indication) Next scan showed a sac they said looked like 3-4 weeks, This is where I got confused. Would have been 9-10 for me and 5-6 according to them. Hcg still doubling over 48 hrs. Next scan showed sac had grown to 6 weeks, nothing with it at all. They were very concerned, I also had some fresh bleeding the morning before the scan but just a little. This time HCG dropped . I had an embryonic pregnancy and had an erpc(like a D&C) In between all of this I had lots of positive pregnancy test, I had positive even after erpc.

Now this does not mean that this is the case for you. I learned very quickly that everyone is very different but it help me to prepare for worst case senario. You could be earlier than you think, You could have a very tilted uterus(this is a very common reason for not seeing anything.)Have they ruled out ectopic? You can ask for more HCG tests to see which way your levels are going, they won't continue to rise if things are not good.

From what I have read having intercourse will not harm your baby so don't worry. They do ask that you don't do it if you are bleeding..

My thoughts are with you, keep us informed.
I had an us at 8 weeks due to spotting and nothing much was seen.  My doctor told me there was a small chance it could be too early, but that she thought I might have a blighted ovuum.  I started bleeding a couple of days later and it was obviously a mc.  My levels hadn't been doubling.  They gave me another us and drew blood after the bleed to make sure my levels were falling as they were concerned about ectopic, even though it appeared my tubes were clear.

If it was just an empty us with no bleeding, I would say too early.  However, given the fact that you are bleeding, it does sound like a mc.  

I am so sorry for your loss.

I hope I am wrong.
Hey hun,

Don't give up hope! I found out i was pregnant when i was only 3 1/2 weeks...as in just a couple days after implantation due to an early blood HCG test...and wheni was 5 weeks pregnant i had a similar problem...i started cramping really badly though..i went to the hospital with light bleeding, they did an internal ultrasound and though they said my HCG levels were about 3500 by then and they should have seen something they only saw an empty gestational sac..no fetal pole, no yoke sac....they sent me to the doctors two days later for another US and HCG test because the doctor thought i had miscarrie or had a blighted ovum, by then my HCG levels were about 65000..not raising really fast, and they said they couldn't see anything yet so the US tech called for a doctor who went through the whole telling me she thought i had lost the baby but would give it one last look herself, and lo and behold, they couldn't for some reason see the baby..but they DID find a heart beet....a tiny little bright dot in the sac with the baby's heart beat, i am 18 weeks today, and have had some problems with bleeding, but the doctor told me every pregnancy is different and some times you do bleed a little, and even cramp a little when your "time of the month" comes, without it hurting the baby. So keep you fingers crossed and i will keep you in my prayers
I have to agree with the other posters, sometimes it takes awhile to show up on the u/s and perhaps you were a little earlier than you thought.  I'm concerned however that the blood and the clots means you lost the baby however.  The good news is that at least the cervix is closed, so hopefully everything is alright.  I will keep you in my prayers, keep us informed.
Hey! Though I didn't have any spotting, I did have some minor cramping at 6 weeks. My hcg was not low, but it was not doubling like it should have. My cervix was closed and the doc thought I most likely had a blighted ovum. I had to wait another week for an ultrasound and it was the week from hell. I cried, threw up and was so sick over things. But...I am now 16 weeks with a healthy little boy! :) I know not all cases end up like mine, but quite a few do from what others on here have shared with me! Good luck and I'll be keeping you in my prayers!
I don't want to tell you that you m/c because of course there is always that chance that you will be fine.  My second m/c I had a faint positive then bleed 5 days later.  I didn't have any clots either.  Just like a heavy period.  Thats what is sounds like to me but on the other hand it could of been from sex too.  I wish you the best at your apt in 2 weeks.  Keep your head up  xxxx
Thanks so much you guys... I picked up my HCG test results yesterday from Tuesday.... it was 170.3... I got an order from my Dr to have them taken again yesterday. They said my results might be in today, but most likely not until Monday... It's going to be a long weekend...
Sarah,
HCG's can be done stat and ready in 1 hour.  Next time ask for them to write stat on the order.  It does sound grim, what are your estrogen (E2) and progesterone levels?  are they increasing?  Good Luck,