Maternal & Child Community
U/S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

U/S

Hi everyone-

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support for my ongoing questions.

My quesiton is as follows-

I have an U/S next Tuesday and I should be 17 1/2 weeks. The U/S is for the anatomy and i want to know the gender. Do you guys thinks its too soon to have that? should i wait another weelk or so? I just want to be disspointed if they cant tell much but im so eager to see the baby.

Thanks,
EMS
I think it should be fine. You are so lucky so be going that early!
Oh my gosh!  I'm going for my anamoly u/s next Tuesday, too!  I will be just about 18 weeks, and I'm told that as long as the baby cooperates, we should be able to tell the gender (you should be able to tell it at 16 weeks, actually).  That's so awesome! This is my first, so I'm so excited AND nervous.  I'm so scared - I want everything to look good and healthy!  Congrats!  We'll have to compare notes.
It's becoming increasingly more common to find out even as early as 12 weeks with the new nuchal translucency U/S they do. I have friends who all found out recently at 12 weeks with about 80% certainty. So yes, you are definitely far enough along! Good luck and let us know what gender!
Nope, that should be fine!  I was 17w 4d and my DS was as clear as day.  Be sure to drink some OJ before your appointment to make sure baby isn't sleeping in an awkward position and not allow the tech to get a good shot.

Good luck!!
OJ is a good thing to do for the u/s?  I hear it's also good for feeling the baby move.  Wow - this OJ stuff is great!Q
yea drink OJ or apple juice
I had an ultrasound in my 17th week (so I was 16w5d) and they could tell us the gender :)  

They should be able to tell you.  Good luck!
I think we're about the same weeks along (My new weeks start every Fri and I'll be 17w this Friday).  I'm so jealous though because I have to wait until Feb 14 to find out!!!  

I think 17.5 is a good time, not too early.  I know this girl who had an u/s at 16 weeks and the tech didn't get it right.  At 32 weeks she found out she was having a girl and she had to take back all her boy stuff.  What a nightmare!
I didn't tell that story above to scare anyone that their gender is wrong.  I guess we just all have to remember that sometimes they don't get it right...even when you have the u/s at 20 weeks.  For all our sakes, I hope our techs get it right!  :)