Maternal & Child Community
U/s says girl but not even 80% sure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

U/s says girl but not even 80% sure

Good afternoon ladies. It's late in the day and I know I may not get many repsonses, but I thought I would see. I had to have an u/s yesterday to check cervical length. Well of course I got her to look at the baby and all looks well, but the baby was stubborn and would not reveal itsself very well. We finally got a glimpse of what looks like a girl. Girl #3 by the way...The tech said she wouldn't even go home and tell hubby yet, b/c of her being unsure. Have any of you heard of seeing girl parts and it turning out to be a boy? I was 15wks 6days yesterday and the baby was measuring 16wks 5days. Anyone have an stories to share or anything? I go back in about 2 wks for my normal 18wk scan, so hopefully we can see better!
All the research that i have done and the u/s tech at my obgyn said that most closest to accuracy results for sex are seen at 20 weeks.  They can see the parts at 16 weeks, but accuracy is better closer to 20 weeks.  My u/s tech told me she usually will not even count on sex until then if there is an early u/s.  BUT If there was no protruding parts :) then it may be safe to say that it is a girl.  I just found out last week that I am having a girl (that was 21 weeks) now i am 22 weeks and just had another u/s for heart questions and made sure that it was a girl.  The difference in just one week makes a difference.  There was more girly part definition.  BEST OF WISHES

It is too early to be 100% sure it's a girl.  Maybe if they said it was a boy, it would be more accurate.  But most discrepancies of gender happen when they say it's a girl and it turns out to be a boy than the other way around.  I would not give up hope yet.  Especially since it's very early and the baby was being stubborn as well.  I'd wait to tell alot of people yet, you could tell DH what the tech said, but tell him it's not set in stone yet.  For some inspiration, my DH was predicted to be a girl when my MIL was pregnant and he came out a boy.
That's what I didn't know is if it's more accurate when they say it's a girl or a boy. I told DH we weren't even going to tell anyone I had the u/s sound done yesterday. And I felt so bad when I told him b/c even though he's excited you could hear some disappointment in his voice. That's the thing, with us having two girls everyone is just so set that this one is going to be a boy and I don't think I can take anyone sounding disappointed if in fact it turns out to be a girl.

It's taken a lot to get to this one and we've been through three losses already. I'm just glad to be carrying a healthy baby!
You have a better chance of it being a boy if they say it's a girl than it is predicted a boy and it turning out to be a girl.  I found this page that might help some:

http://us.pampers.com/en_US/learning/page/exp_question_details/topicId/202/contentId/13909/type/104.do;jsessionid=N24BYGTMMKFGJQFIAJ0X0NY

Either way, it's another beautiful bouncing baby for you to love!  Keep your hopes up but try not to be so disappointed if the tech turns out to be right.
with my last baby i was first told that it was a girl and then told that it was a boy.  it turned out to be a boy.  the tech was having trouble seeing the first time and guessed, the second time his legs were apart.
A friend of mine was told her baby is a girl after 3 u/s until the weeks before labor when the technician said it's a boy.  Usually, if the technician said it's a boy, then it's safe to say it's 99% boy.  Most of the times, if the technician can only find 2 lines, but no boy parts and no 3rd line of a girl either, they may tell you it's a girl.  So when it's predicted to be a girl, there is some possibility it may turn out to be a boy then vice versa.
I just had my ultra sound expecting to hear what I wanted, but she said it was a girl. I had my hopes so high I just thought it would be, but no, another girl. Of course I'm happy and love this baby, but this is the only place I can let out my disapointment, otherwise everyone will think I am sad about it, which I am, but I'll get over it! Now I'm fighting thoughts like, maybe she was wronge, so many posts about that, I didn't really see and she only looked for a second.
I need to let it sink in because my heart wont let me think about another girl right now!