Maternal & Child Community
UPDATE on Echogenic cardiac foci

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

UPDATE on Echogenic cardiac foci

Just thought that I would let everyone know that was not aware yet, that we are having a girl. On our "20 week" visit we had a u/s finding this out. Well at this appt they found a calcium deposit in the baby's heart. Research says that they are normal but are often associated with Down Syndrome. So of course that made me a nervous nelly :(. Well me OBGYN scheduled us with a Perinatologist (specialized doctor on Maternal/Fetal Medicine) to have a Level 2 u/s on May 10th. We went to this appt to find out news that I didnt like and news that I did like.

First lets get the negative over so that we can focus on the Positive.: Ok my OBGYN had my blood drawn at my "16 week" appt for a quad screen. Well somehow the results came back twice. One saying that I was 16.4 weeks(16 weeks 4 days) and the other saying that I was 17.3 weeks. The reason to this I believe is because "clinically" (according to period) I am suppose to be 22.4 weeks TODAY. But based on my "8 week" u/s they were calculating that I am only 21.5 weeks. The results for 16.4 weeks say that I screen negative for Down Syndrome, but the results for 17.3 weeks say that I screen positive for this. So the Perinatologist says that he is confused on why there are 2 sets of results and not sure which to go by. He spoke to 2 genetic counselors who said they are not sure either.

This means that at 16.4 weeks I have a 1 out of 532 chance of having a baby with DS. But, at 17.3 weeks (just 6 days difference) my odds change to 1 out of 253. Ok can you see why I am so nervous. I am 22 years old. At 22 the average "out of" scale for DS is 1 out of 1400 or so. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Well the POSITIVE NEWS says that upon u/s the baby looks well and that even with the calcium deposit in her heart she has not problems with her heart. All the parts of her heart are there and functioning as they should be. She has all three cords to her umblical cord and they are in proper order :). Often in DS babies they see no bridge to the nose SHE HAS A BRIDGE. DS babies often are missing one of the bones that compose the pinkies. SHE HAS ALL HER PINKY BONES. And they often have short limbs and measure smaller then gestation says that they should. SHE HAS LONGGGGG LIMBS AND THE BEST NEWS OF ALL.......SHE IS MEASURING AT 22.4 (as of today) AND ALREADY 1 LB 0.5 OZ.

The Level 2 u/s says that baby is where she should be according to my period, not the "8 week" u/s :D. This was great to know. GUESS WHY. She is now 18.3 weeks closer to the world instead of 19.3 weeks.

I am thinking positive and waiting to hold my baby girl in my arms.

She is very active and kicking so much that I cant believe that at one point I was worried that she was not doing well cause I hadn't felt her kicking. It took the U/S Tech about 45 mins to get all the footage that she needed for the perinatologist. That is how active she is.

She waved at James and I and she also gave us a big thumbs up :D. James says that the thumbs up was her way of saying "I AM A OK IN HERE MOMMY AND DADDY"

I love her little yawns and cant wait till she comes.

Talk to you all soon

Love Chelle, James and Aynsli Rayne
Thanks so much.  I am thinking positive.  CONSIDERING.

But it does seem weird that i have the odds of a 35 year old :(
Great news!  From what you have said I don't think you should worry at all, just be happy and celebrate your healthy pg!  
Congrats!
I am happy to hear all looks well. My doc is insisting i get the quad screen, but this is why i didn't want it, too much stress involved!!! I go in monday for the blood draw and then the anxiety starts until I go in at the end of the month for my appt.

Anyway, I am glad all looked so well. You are over half way there!!

Andi
thanks for the support.  I am glad that all looks well even though there is a spot and tthe fact that i screened at the level of a 35 year old.  If i knew that there was as much stress i would have opted out of the quad screen myself.  

Andij78: how far along are you againg

18 more weeks (give or take) and COUNTING :)
16 weeks today, it has been a long pg so far, I found out at 3 weeks 5 days!

Due to my first sons ventral septal defect, I underwent a fetal echo with my youngest and I remember the stress that went along with that, along with all the stress when they were doing test after test with my first to see if it was closing. I am sure I will have another fetal echo with this one and the stress is awful!! My youngest goes in for another echo in a few months as they saw something of minor concern on the last one 9 months ago. While I am confident it is nothing, it is still a little scary.

It is great that things look so good. Given the markers they didn't see, it sounds like ds is extremely unlikely, so at least that stress is gone.

Andi
I am so happy for u that everything looks great. And you are more than half way there..that is good too...