Maternal & Child Community
UTI and Macrobid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

UTI and Macrobid

I feel badly, because I'm posting a lot today, but I am having a lot of anxiety during this 16th week, and this forum really helps me!  Anyway, my gp called me yesterday to confirm what I thought I had - a UTI.  She prescribed Macrobid.  I'm right in the middle of the month and don't see my OB until 1/30, so of course, I'd get the UTI now!  Anyway, my gp said that Macrobid is totally safe to take during pregnancy, but I just want to make sure.  She said I had trace E Coli in the urine (which of course, freaked me out, but then she explained that it's not the flesh-eating E Coli).  LOL.  Thanks for your experience!
Girl, take some deep breaths.  DEEP Breaths!  OK, the salmon thing.  No biggie.  Just don't eat it from here on out.  Google "what not to eat while pregnant" and stick to that list -- it helps the paranoia to go away if you just avoid it all!  I had a chicken salad sandwich last night and was even kind of paranoid about it -- who knows if Camille's Cafe keeps the MAYO religiously refrigerated, or whatever.  We need to stop worrying though!  Womaen have been getting preg since the beginning of time and they didn't worry about all this ****.

The UTI -- if your fabulous doctor prescribed macrobid than you're fine.  I'm sure they prescribe it all the time to pregnant women.  Just be glad you caught the UTI!  That's wonderful!  Now you can get rid of it!  

I'll share my paranoia -- TMI TMI -- my dh and I bd last night and I was on my tummy for a little while (I won't go into details) and now I'm all -- did I crush the baby!  Did I deform him!  We get so crazy as preg ladies!
My high risk ob prescribed Macrobid for a UTI when I was around 12 weeks pregnant.  All it caused for me was horrible diarreah (diarrhea). I know everyone was interested in that.  It's prescribed regularly for pregnant women.  It's a class B drug so you are good to go.
I was put on Macrobid Monday myself for a UTI.  It is a category B and safe, trust me I asked and researched this!  I stay paranoid over everything.  You should be fine.
i took it and the pharmacist and ob said it was routine and very safe
my OB prescribed macrobid for me too

now I am on low dose for the next five months because the infection is in my kidneys (it was prescribed by a obstetric urologist!)