Maternal & Child Community
UTI postpartum??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

UTI postpartum??

Hi all-last night I got up with my baby and had to go to the bathroom, bad.  But he was screaming to eat and I didn't want to wake everyone else, so I 'held it' and waited until he was fed to go to the restroom.  When I climbed back in bed, I felt like my bladder was still full, but then I fell asleep.  This morning, I woke up to the same feeling.  I am able to 'go', but my lower abdomen feels funny-like lots of bubbles or something.  But I don't have any pain or burning with urination, no fever, no flank pain, etc.  Could this be a UTI, do you think?  (BTW, I'm two days shy of being three weeks postpartum)
Uti's usually cause alot of pain..well for me they did anyway. Horrible. But ive heard of women who went to the dr. for one thing and found out they had a uti and didnt know it. I believe they have test strips at drugstores so you can test at home.
I don't know about post partum, but so far I have had 2 UTI's this pregnancy. I have had NO symptoms except contractions (but I have those with or without the infection). No pain, no burning. I did notice a slight cloudiness of my urine this time though. With this most recent one, the urine culture came back negative, but my WBC was increased a lot and there was a tiny bit of blood (not visible to the naked eye) in the urine- UTI. So my point is that it could be a UTI even if you don't have any pain- go get it checked out and stop it before it gets bad enough to cause pain.
I had one right after delivery.  It is hard to tell because there is so much going on in there but I had a c-section to I had a cath put in and that gave it to me.  They called me in antibiotics and it went away.  It does not really hurt when it is a bladder infection just feels weird and kind of like you hold back from finishing then you still feel like you have to go.  A Kidney infection hurts when you go.
I've called my dr. and am awaiting a call back.  Now I have a low-grade fever, severe lower back ache and abdominal cramping.  I pray it is a UTI or something similar rather than an infection of my episiotomy/tear, which has been stinging the last couple days!
Do you have pressure after your urine stream is almost done?  Kind of like it does not hurt until the end?  Or consistent burning while you are going?  If it is either of those I would say UTI if it hurts all the time, even when not going potty it may be your tear.  OUCH!  I didn't have that but I could imagine that it hurts like h***.  :(
I had 3rd degree lacerations after i had my baby. Of course it hurt to go to the bathrm and felt very strange. But i never had the fever or cramping so it might be a uti/kidney inf of some sort
i would def get to the doctor asap. i experienced the same thing. obviously everythingi s a little different after you have a baby but you have to be really careful b/c i had the same symptoms but just let it go thinking my bladder isn't back to normal yet. i ended up cpming down with a very bad and verrrrry painful kidney infection that just got worse and worse until i took care of it and got on antibiotics. the dr. will be able to tell you in 1 second whether it is or not just bu testing your urine. better safe than sorry and no one wants to be sick with a new baby to take of. good luck and feel better! :o)
Thanks, everyone.  I went and had a urinalysis and the dr. put me on medication as soon as he got the results.  They're also growing a culture to make the meds they gave me will take care of the infection.  And I had a CBC done, what a shock-low on iron!  Just kidding-iron deficiency is common after birth, I know.  Yesterday my tummy hurt so bad they had me taking pain meds, too.  They said it was "bladder spasms"...didn't even know there was such a thing!  The good news is that I am feeling much better today!