Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound Yesturday

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ultrasound Yesturday

Alright, went in for my sonogram yesturday with the specialist in wichita. I felt so sure that everything would be fine but when I got there I started to feel strange. I laid down and about cried. I was soooo scared to find out about the baby. They were checking the heart because of the heart defect my son Eden died from and I was soooo scared they would tell me this baby has a heart defect. The tech was kind of rude and pretty much ignored all my questions and I just laid there watching the screen.

She zipped through everything sooo fast. Usually the tech will describe everything to me and tell me what we're looking at and what she's doing but this lady just seemed to not want to talk to me. Having had four including a 3D sonogram with Aries and two with Eden I knew what I was looking at anyway so I just watched waiting for her to get to the heart. That was when she finally spoke.............

"I'm going to look at the heart now." she said. I took a deep breath and looked at Jaison who looked real scared and like he was about to cry. I looked at the screen and saw his little heart beating. It made me cry when i noticed FOUR chambers.......and they all seemed to be working just fine......Then she went to the blood flow and I saw the red and blue flowing as it should be. I turned to Jaison, since the tech wouldn't say anything about it and told him it had to be fine. I saw Eden's heart sonofram when they found the heart defect and it looked like a black hole and the reds and blues were all mixed together and going everywere and this baby's heart looked nothing like that. I was pleased but still a little scared seeing as how I am not a doctor and there could be something I wouldn't see.

We then went into an exam room where we were asked tons of questions and then spoke with the doctor. She walked right in and said she has good news but there is a small problem. I got sooo scared. She said his heart looks fine. He looks healthy and they're sure there is no way he has what Eden had. The bad news was that they couldn't rule out 10% of heart defects. THere are certain defects they woukldn't be able to see on the sonogram right now. The good news with that is that the 10% of heart defects they couldn't rule out were small ones that typically don't need surgery or anything like that such as a small murmur or ASD which my sister and her daughter has and are fine, small defects like that. She did say no matter how many kids we have we have to go through this because it's genetic but they feel confident this baby is fine. HURRAY!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier. I feel so good knowing he's fine. I was pretty sure he would be but it's been worrisome this whole time until we got the sonogram done. BABY BOY IS FINE!!!!

We thank everyone who has given their support and wished us the best of luck. When I get a chance I will put the new sonogram pictures on my profile.
What a relief!   I'm very happy for you.
That is great news! I got all choked up reading this. I know how you must feel. We have to go through that in a few weeks. My son had an intestinal blockage and several other anomalies and spent 3 weeks in the NICU. I will be a basketcase for our advanced ultrasound. I know my story can't compare to the heartbreak you have endured, but the feeling of being scared and not wanting to go through it again in the NICU with all of those uncertainties definitely hits home. So glad you got great news and can relax!!
I'm so happy for you. I cried when I read this; you and Jaison have been through so much. I'm glad this sonogram went well and that you can breathe a huge breath of relief. Pretty soon you will have your sweet little baby boy in your arms. :-)
That is great news! When we had Cruz's big heart ultrasound we were nervous too. After loosing my sweet little Cooper to a heart condition, I could not wait to get this done.

It was amazing what a difference you can actually see after knowing what a defective heart looks like!!

I am so glad to hear your little man is fine!!!!  I am sure this was Eden's birthday wish that he made for you!!!!

I will say an extra Happy Birthday for Eden on Saturday! I hope him and Coop have a great b-day in Heaven!