Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound at 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ultrasound at 5 weeks

I had my first U/S last Thur (5 wks 6 days). They saw the yolk sac but said at 5.5 wks too soon to see a heartbeat. Anybody else have the same experience?
I have been ill ill ill with morning sickness every day and I'll go back for another U/S this Thur where I am expecting to see the heartbeat.
Thanks for any input!
Christen

I don't think they could see anything but a sac when I was 5 weeks either. Hang in there.......
My doctor didnt even see me until i was 9 weeks. 5 weeks is a bit soon.
Was the u/s transvaginal? Even so, to early. I had mine at 6.5 weeks transvaginal and we could barely see the heart beat. Next week you'll have more to see!! Keep us posted.
it was transvaginal.  i go back tomorrow.  i feel like everything is fine just wanted to see if people agreed with the dr. who said that was totally normal at 5.5 weeks.
I had this one at exactly 6 weeks and nothing was seen. Then at 8 weeks a heartbeat was seen. It was to early, give it more time.

Here is a pic of a normal 5.5 week ultrasound.....

http://www.advancedfertility.com/ultraso1.htm

Oh ans 5 weeks may seem early for a doctor to see a patient but some women are high risk.

Good Luck!
I had a similar experience.  They gave me an u/s becuase they had no idea how far along I was.  All they could see was a yolk sac, so they figured I was about 5 weeks.  I went back two weeks later, and they could measure the length, determine the due date and I got to see the heartbeat.  

So you're totally normal....it takes time for that little heart to get going :)
Wow, ultrasounds here are not done unless your are at least 17 weeks along unless the pregnancy is considered high risk and then they do a test at 10 weeks.
Where are you from? I have been having on every week since 6.4 weks and will continue until 12wks. I am considered high risk b/c of hx with m/c's, IVF, preterm labor. However, my DR just said if you want to feel comforable we can do one every week..I said YES Thanks and see you next week.!! It is just done so i can feel confident with seeing a heart rate. I lost one at 14 weeks.
I am in Canada.  If I get pregnant again I will be considered a high risk so the doctors will be doing an ultrasound when I am 10 weeks along as well as many other tests.  I almost died after I gave birth to my son in July.  My son died a day later.  I am waiting to see what happened to my son.   The doctors think it was something in the blood-maybe viral.  I will wait and see what the autopsy says.  My son was only 10 days early.
Oh, so sorry for your difficult pregnancy and loss of your child. Your post brought tears to my eyes..I'm thinking of you. I would hope DR will follow you very closely with any and all your pregnancy's. Keep me posted.
Thank you cdw.  I will let you and everyone know if I am pregnant again as I will probably be more scared this time than with my first.  I had many a trips to the hospital to be checked out.
i went to the ER because i was having some pain on my left lower pelvic , and i was told that i was pregnant , u/s 5 weeks pregnant , so it was to early to see anything else , so am having another u/s on monday to see if everything seem ok