Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound for IUD placement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ultrasound for IUD placement?

I went in yesterday for my annual visit to my gyno. I told him that I am been having some constant cramping for about 3 weeks now he said that it could be that since I am cutting back on my pumping I could be starting to ovulate, which does make sense to me. After doing my exam which he said everything looked fine, except that he wanted to do an ultrasound to check my IUD placement. He stated that he could not feel much of my strings. Now my question is.... if my IUD was out of place could this be the reason for the cramping? I do check my for my strings every month as I was instructed to do. And I went home and felt for them, they do feel shorter. Why would my IUD shift after having it in for 11 months now? Has anyone else with an IUD ever had to have a ultrasound to check the placement? I will go back next tuesday for the ultrasound but now I am freaking out because if my IUD is out of place couldnt I get pregnant? Thanks