Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound update and 12-week genetic test question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi ladies:

Well, I can't believe it.  After all my many m/cs, it looks like I might have a keeper.  My docs at Standord are super optomistic.  The baby is measuring at 9w5d (I think I'm 9w4d) and has a hb of 160.

I probably won't stop stressing until the amnio results come back though. (I'm 39)

Speaking of amnios and genetic testing, has anyone gone through the tests at 12 weeks that combine blood tests and ultrasound?  I think it's like 80% accurate?

I hate the thought of risking a mc from an amnio after all these difficult years.  Then again, my husband and I both want to know for sure that the preg is normal.   I sure as heck won't have a CVS since I had an m/c from one during my first preg.

Anyway, thanks.  Hope everyone is doing well.
SO good to hear you and the baby are doing good.
That's great news! Wow, I'm so happy for you. How are you feeling? Sick or anything? My 7 wk 4 day ultrasound is tomorrow and I'm nervous to say the least. I don't know about the amnio question since I've never made it that far. I know I personally would not do an amnio. It's really pretty high miscarriage rate if you ask me. At my job (I work in a maternity unit as a nurse) the docs say it's about 1 in 100. That's too great a risk for me! Don't need anything else going against me.
I do understand wanting to know if it's normal, but the question is if it's not normal what would you do? If you would terminate the pregnancy I guess it's worth doing, but if you wouldn't do that anyway? I don't know!! Good luck, I hope it's normal and healthy!
Hi...I did the nuchal fold testing at approx. 12w +.  It is strictly a screening test.  I am an older mom too and I think my risk for downs before was 1 in 120+/- and for the trisomies like 1 in 135+/-...my results came back about a week later at reduced risk of downs at 1 in 1,422 and reduced risk of trisomies at 1 in 4,000.  Followed up with a level II U/S at 21 weeks which revealed no markers and so opted not to do amnio -- and I wouldn't terminate anyway, but have other kids so wanted the opportunity to prepare them if the baby would have special needs.

Anyway, I think the screenings are great if you understand that they are NOT diagnostic and that there are some false positives.  If you do get an INcreased risk it simply means that more follow up testing should be offered and then you have to decide what/if any testing you want to have done.

For me, it was great peace of mind -- and I realize that there is still a chance that baby will have a problem, but the risk is small.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide...here's to a happy and healthy 9 months...and beyond!!
Thanks.  Good luck tomorrow.  Keep us posted!  I know how nerve wracking it is.

I've felt like **** this entire preg, which I guess is good. A lot of ms and dizziness.  I don't remember feeling anything but tired with my DD.

You know, I'm not sure if we would go through with the preg or not if it were abnormal.  I know that sounds awful, but I'm just not sure.  My husband definitely would not want to.  I don't know if I could ever forgive myself...

I had an amnio with my DD, no problems.  I'm 39, so I think I have a higher risk of having something wrong than having a mc from the amnio.  

It's reassuring to know I'm just .5% higher risk than a normal woman my age due to all my mcs.

Good luck tomorrow!  What time is it?
Thanks.

I'm definitely going to talk to my husband about this option.   Mind if I ask how old you are?  I feel like the old bat of the group!
Hi! My doctor told me that you could get a false positive when testing for Downs (they usually test you around 12-14 weeks). That's why I'm not sure about the 80%. Everything looks great! I wish you good luck and I'll pray for your little one:) Good luck!!!
that is awesome!  I'm so glad this one is working out so well.  I can only hope my luck is the same as yours.  I had my 1st u/s this afternoon and for the first time ever......we have a HB!!!!!!!!!  I'm 7w today and am measuring 6w5d and hb was 138bpm!!!  I go back in 2 weeks for a follow up, it is going to be another looooong 2 weeks!  Good luck to you!
Thanks ladies.

jennyb - congrats to you!  That's great news.  I know the wait is excruciating!  I actually ordered a doppler and was able to pick up the hb at 8w4d.  Peace of mind, let me tell you.  Worth $29 a month (except when I couldn't find it for two days!).