Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ultrasound

Is it really that important to have your bladder full with water to the point that you have to pee an hour and 15 minutes before your appointment?  Did man invent this? I know women wouldn't or at least I wouldn't.

Well unfortuantely my bladder won and I just swallowed 3 more glasses of water and hope I fooled the U/S tech....

My husband said try not to think about it.... I pee 4 times every night, my bladder does not hold a sip of water let alone 4 cups of water for two hours...

Cross your fingers.  I'm 6 weeks 6 days today. Ultra sound at 12;40, I will be back here to let you know how it went
I'm surprised they made you drink all that water when your just 6 weeks. I have been told that the transvaginal u/s is much better in early pregnancy and you definitely don't need to drink any water for that. I hate drinking all taht water too, I agree, it must have been invented by a man.
I had a vaginal u/s at 7w 2d and did not have to have a full bladder.  In fact, I gave my urine specimen at the beginning of the appointment and then my u/s about 30 minutes later.

Don't kill yourself with trying to maintain a full bladder.  I don't know that it's absolutely necessary to be to-the-brim full.

Good luck at 12:40!!!!
wow thats interesting at my 6 week u/s they actually filled my bladder 10 minutes before with saline fluid.
I live in Florida and have ad 5 u/s to tis point. Only 1 place makes me drink any water, the rest told me they found no difference in drinking all of that water and not drinking any whether it is the vaginal or regular u/s. The u/s showed everything with or without the water.
At my 5w6d ultrasound I didn't receive any special requests prior to the u/s.  They actually made me empty my bladder before they performed the examination.  Further along in pregnancy, they like you to have a full bladder because it helps them see more clearly (don't ask me how).  I hope your u/s goes well...let us know! :)
With a Transvagianl they usually make you emtpy your bladder so they can see better.  When it is a normal ultrasound they say to have a full bladder for it pushes the uterus up so they can see better.  But, I agree for whoever said have a full bladder when you are pg must have been a man.
You usually wouldn't have a abdominal U/S, if you do get one, you should have a transviginal since you are so early on.  They won't be able to see much with a regular U/S.  I have never heard of that request before at your stage.
U/S went great!  Saw the heartbeat!

Baby is measuring 0.78cm and 6w5d, right on target.
Heartbeat was 143bpm. He said that was good.

So far so good, what a relief.

Thanks for reading.
That's surprising that you'd have to drink that much that early. I wasn't instructed to drink water like that until I was 12 weeks. At six weeks they did it without water. And believe me its worse when there is as couple pound baby sitting on top of your full bladder. Don't complain yet. lol. I nearly passed out and popped a blood vessel last week waiting for my appointment. I didn't drink the full 32oz either.
With my son I drank the water a little before I left for my appt.  I knew I couldn't hold it that long either.  Not only was it fine, but the tech had to stop the u/s and ask me to go to the bathroom at one point because my bladder was too full and it was interfering!  I never had to drink any for the early ones either though.  Glad to hear your appt. went well, congrats!