Maternal & Child Community
Understanding miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Understanding miscarriage

Here is my story, My period normally lasts 3-4 days. in June my period was from the 12-15. I had sex twice on June 28 and once the next morning. i was late in July so i took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. My "Period" started July 28 and ended August 3rd. This was the longest period Ive had in years and by far the worst cramps ever.It was hard for me to even stand for longer then 10 mins, i literally spent those days in the bed & tub. August 6 I started spotting which i thought was normal but it got heavier and heavier. So I decided to go to the doctor August 15th to see what the heck was going on. My doctor took a urine pregnancy test and it came back positive. I was in shock like why am i bleeding pregnant. Then she took a blood test to confirm it. After I left the doctor i went to planned parenthood and took another one and the nurse told me that I was but I was very early because the line was super light. I thought how can I be early I would be atleast over a month. So for the next few days the bleeding was so bad I had to wear a tampon & pad because I was bleeding through 2-3 pads a day. Saturday August 18, I went to the doctor to see why im bleeding. I got the run around I seen 3 different doctors and no one could actually tell me how far along I was or why I was bleeding. One said i was 6 weeks, one said I could be about 2 months, and one said I was about 2 weeks. I was like are you guys really ******* serious. I find out im pregnant about 2 days ago but you cant tell me how far along I am so My nurse practitioner  referred me to an obgyn to see if I was having a miscarriage. The nurse at the obgyn office told me to go to urgent care to see whats going on. I go back to urgent care for the 2nd time that day and had my hormone levels tested. they called and said they were at 133. I went back to urgent care on Monday August 20th, and have my blood drawn again, had an ultrasound & a pelvic exam. When getting the ultrasound the nurse had to do an internal one because she couldnt see as good with the external one. Went back to the doctor and the ultrasound said I was about 9 weeks but had the hormones of being 5 weeks. So  Wednesday, i went to see the obgyn and she gave me the results of my third blood test which states hormones were 86 so it was a def miscarriage. Ive checked it once since then and hormones were at 16. I just recently stopped bleeding on September 9th. But now I'm having pregnancy symptoms, throwing up, boobs hurts,fatigue, and my stomach is like swollen.Ive gained about 10 lbs in 3 weeks. Is it possible for Hormones to decrease and then pick back up? Can I possibly still be pregnant? I want to take a test but the doctor said the tests will come back positive til my hormones are back to normal. I have no idea what to do.
Ask your regular ob-gyn if you can have two beta hCG blood tests run, 48 hours apart.  The rate of change in the numbers (and of course whether they are decreasing or increasing) will tell you whether your symptoms are still from the process of miscarrying, or if you have either a new pregnancy or possibly lost one embryo but another was present.  It's best to do this with your normal doc because if something about the numbers suggests a follow-up visit or further analysis, Urgent Care is not set up to track that.

For what it is worth, even though modern obstetrics is pretty good, there are limits about how early a pregnancy can be identified and dated, and in the earlier stages there is no medical way to reliably pinpoint how far along you are.  hCG levels vary greatly, and a baby is not visible on even the best ultrasounds until the 5th or 6th week.  It was frustrating that they couldn't tell you what you wanted to know, but maybe nobody could have.