Maternal & Child Community
Unexplained fevers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Unexplained fevers

Hi! My six year old( just turned 6) son keeps getting fevers with no other symptoms. In September he had a fever 105, which with motrin and alternating with tylenol would come down about 2 degrees. There weren't any other symptoms with the fever. It lasted on and off for about 5 days, then came back about 3 days later as 102 and lasted for 3 days. The pediatrician diagnosed it as viral syndrome. Then again in November, but he had a 24 hour stomache virus and he was almost dehydrated so that caused the fever. In December he had a fever for a few days. Over this New Year's he had a fever started out high 105-104 would go down with motrin/tylenol it. I brought him to the pediatrician and again he said viral syndrome. and to come back for a recheck in a week. Again he developed a fever with no other symptoms. The doctor ordered a urinalysis and blood work, which all came back fine. He still the other day was running a fever 102 and last night at 101. The doctor says it's viral. I am really concerned, I don't know who I would bring him to for further testing and can they do further testing? I am baffled. I am worried too. I always thought that when you run a temperature it meant that it's your body's way of fighting off an infection? But his bloodwork came back fine. I hope someone has some feedback as for where do I go next. The pediatrician says to do nothing that this does happen sometimes. I don't know, I just worry, that's what mom's do!! Help? Suggestions?

When my daughter was about 1 1/2yo, she had a high fever of 105, it lasted about 4 days, we took her to the ped and they told us to take her to the ER, they didn't really do anything other than giving her tylenol/motrin because she had an ear infection not long before and took some antibiotics so they knew it couldn't be an infection, still to be sure they gave her a shot of antibiotics (sorry can't remember the name) still the fever wouldn't go down, I took her back to the ped. the nurse gave her tylenol/motrin and the fever wasn't really going down so I had to give her a lukewarm bath at the doc. office.
They just said it was probably a virus, I hated seeing her like that, it was the summer (we live in Los Angeles) so it was really hot plus the fever, she was so lethargic.
If your son's blood work came back fine, everything should be ok with him, he might just be more sensitive than others with viruses, I used to have very high fevers when I was little, once I had 106 for almost a week, it would just spike up with no other symptoms.
Could possibly be a cavity. My 4 yr old had an on and off again fever  for about a month. We took him t the doctor several times but nothing seemed to be wrong with him. About a month later he started to complain about a tooth ache. We took  him to the dentist and he had a cavity. Just a suggestion.
with every fever, my kids have had some sort of ailment that required antibiotics...but when i was yonger, from the ages of 5-7, i had unexplained high fevers raning from 102-105, that would come and go, as you are describing.
they ran every test under the sun, and all came back clear. every ER trip the only dx they could offer was that it was probably viral and if i got any worse to bring me back. i always got better with a few days.
i eventually 'out grew' it.
i don't know if that helps any, but maybe it will help put your mind at ease a little.